FRG to OSH and back route recommendations

danieln

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
daniel
Hi folks,

We're departing FRG afternoon tomorrow for OSH on a C172, going to spend a couple of days in OSH and head back. Here is a link to a suggested route: http://skyvector.com/?ll=42.78787603307754,-83.12109374398284&chart=301&zoom=12&plan=A.K6.KFRG:A.K6.KIAG:A.K5.KFNT:F.K5.RIPON:V.K5.OSH:A.K5.KDAY:A.K6.KJST:A.K6.KFRG
The plan is to fly to the Niagara Falls, taking advantage of what's left of daylight to overfly the falls, then land for refueling in IAG and continue to FNT for a night's layover. Then hit the road to OSH in the morning. The return route will take us to Dayton to visit the USAF museum. We'll spend the night in Dayton and in the morning head back to FRG via JST for refueling.
I would sincerely appreciate any thoughts about this route, as well as interesting locations to overfly and must-see's. We can deviate from the planned route but not by much, we leave Sunday noon and must return by Friday night.

Thanks!!:goofy:

Daniel

Are you comfortable with the two legs across Lake Michigan?

Are you comfortable with the two legs across Lake Michigan?

Cannot avoid the first leg over the lake, need to get to the destination as quick as possible. We'll fly it 8500', with FF. The second leg probably won't be a direct-to, we'll probably fly over the Chicago shoreline.

I don't have anything to offer from a route standpoint as I've never done the OSH trip yet. It's totally on my to do list though. But as a fellow Long Island pilot I was just curious how long do you think this trip will take total? I'd imagine when my time comes to make this trip it will also be in a 172 or something similiar.

Wishing you a safe trip and clear skies on your trip!

Let's backup a little. Do you like paying $6.00 + a gal for fuel? There are so many better choices for easy fuel stops, check Air-Nav and 100LL for starters.

To go out of your way just to overfly Niagara Falls isn't worth it, in my opinion. If you were stopping to visit on foot it may be different.

I don't have a real problem over Lake MI, I would take a more direct crossing, high, at a narrow point. With 'VIPs' onboard I'd likely go around. Why not just a more direct route to the Chicago lakefront under the class 'B'. Get cheaper fuel along the way.

The Dayton visit to the AF museum sounds great.

I'd get that magenta line direct to the ORD lakefront with cheap fuel along the way, don't forget $4.99 fuel at KBUU(WI) before the easy leg to RIPON.

Since you wanted opinions.

Also the weather and winds are averaging better South of Lake Erie and MI today.

Last edited:
There is a special airspace above Niagara falls. You can't fly very low at all. Also, they divert a LOT of water into a shipping canal so not much water goes over the falls. The town is kinda dumpy (although ive heard they are fixing it up). Watch that Marylyn Monroe movie before you go and make sure you stay in that same dumpy motel (if it still exists). But, who knows, maybe you'll get lucky :)

Everyone has to see it.....once.

Niagra falls is very expensive,there are plenty of cheap gas stops in the area. If your going to Dayton,Greene airport Jackson county is the closest airport to the museum. They are a flight school with great service.

Thanks for the great suggestions!!
We decided not to hit the road today because of bad weather out west. We're going to try again morning/noon tomorrow, looks like it's going to be better.

You should have a window tomorrow,VFR with no major weather till late afternoon.

Back