Frequent Headaches for Class 3 Medical

U

Unregistered

My class 3 is due to expire soonish and I'm trying to figure out how much work I need to do to get it renewed. During my last physical I made the mistake of marking down the frequent and severe headaches box, not thinking through the consequences properly. I basically self diagnosed myself with migraines when I didn't have them. Yep real dumb.

This of course led to a deferral and a month or two of back and forth with the central medical examiners. In the end I provided a letter from my doctor stating that he believed it was sinus related and I was taking a prescription nasal spray to combat it. All parties were satisfied and I got my medical in about two months, after the initial exam.

Fast forward five years and I am no longer on the prescription nasal spray and just use an over the counter spray when I'm feeling congested. For the most part it has worked wonders.

The big question is, what do I need to do and say at the exam? I'm assuming I'll need a note from the doctor stating the headaches are being managed. I'm pretty certain I can't just neglect hitting the headache checkbox this time. :D Did I get a special issuance last time or something else? Will the AME be able to give me my certificate in the office or is it likely it will be sent upstream?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

You'll get to experience your first of many "PRNC" to come . . . Previously Reported, No Change. Unless the headaches get worse, or stop.

That is my official recommendation. Note the lack of medical, aeromedical or FAA qualifications in my signature. But I was an engineer for three medical manufacturing companies for 21 years.

I'm still putting PRNC for my shoulder surgery in 2001, before I started flying.

And I am still putting PRNC for a head injury suffered during a fight with the side of a concrete swimming pool during a game of water polo back in 1972.
You aren't alone.

So it sounds like it should be pretty routine? Do you think I'll need to get another letter from my doctor? Or is the PRNC enough?

Unless the FAA told you that you needed a status report for your next medical, PRNC will suffice. The AME may still ask you to explain things even if they have been reported. I've got a handful of YES answers on question 18 that are long ago resolved.

And I am still putting PRNC for a head injury suffered during a fight with the side of a concrete swimming pool during a game of water polo back in 1972.
You aren't alone.

Indeed. I am still reporting PRNC for a single LOC event in 1963. Vasovagal syncope.

Indeed. I am still reporting PRNC for a single LOC event in 1963. Vasovagal syncope.

Yep, once it's in your medical history, you've got to report it forever (even if it only requires PRNC).

That's one of the points that the FAA will use if they ever get pushed into a no-third-class-medical policy.

I've never understood why we have to keep reporting something after the initial report. My surgery from 2001 had no complications (ever), but I've had to report it in 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014. Why report something with no changes more than once???

I still have to report a minor surgery I had in 1965.... PRNC is all I do now. On my first ever medical all the doctor asked was if there had been any problems since the surgery.

Ask your AME about it before going in for the medical certificate. Some sort of examination may be needed, if so your AME can tell you.

A special issuance medical certificate will have a line that reads something like, "Not valid for any class after (Insert date here).

I have no clue if a SI can be good for 5 years, I am thinking it is good for maybe a year?

Same for my one overnight in a hospital. PRNC every one or two years since 1980

For the OP: You may have learned this lesson, but to reiterate and also for all: NEVER self diagnose on the FAA Medical form. Leave the doctoring to the Doctors.

As one example, don't use the word "Migraine" unless the Doc says you have Migraine headaches. It opens up the door to expensive and extensive testing if you do so.

On the other hand, report your MD issued diagnoses truthfully. Medical conditions cannot be wished away.

For the OP: You may have learned this lesson, but to reiterate and also for all: NEVER self diagnose on the FAA Medical form. Leave the doctoring to the Doctors.

As one example, don't use the word "Migraine" unless the Doc says you have Migraine headaches. It opens up the door to expensive and extensive testing if you do so.

On the other hand, report your MD issued diagnoses truthfully. Medical conditions cannot be wished away.

The FAA goes to Migraine all on their own.

I reported "Cluster Headache", and they keep calling it Migraine...however, I did get out of the SI routine and into a Letter of Eligibility, so I get to do PRNC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back