Free "Stuff"

Pretty good. On the internet, you can now see how everybody else wastes their time. :D

Most companies do treat you nicely if you take the time to write. A guy I knew in high school wrote to M&M Mars asking to buy only green M&M's (can't remember why right now). They politely said no, but sent bags of free M&M's.

A couple of years ago, McD's sent a coupon for one of their new (at the time) chicken salads in their annual report. It was pretty tasty.

And purportedly, Wrigley's sends a pack of gum to all its shareholders once a year. I haven't decided if I want to try that out yet...

-Rich

rpadula said:
Pretty good. On the internet, you can now see how everybody else wastes their time. :D

Most companies do treat you nicely if you take the time to write. A guy I knew in high school wrote to M&M Mars asking to buy only green M&M's (can't remember why right now). They politely said no, but sent bags of free M&M's.

A couple of years ago, McD's sent a coupon for one of their new (at the time) chicken salads in their annual report. It was pretty tasty.

And purportedly, Wrigley's sends a pack of gum to all its shareholders once a year. I haven't decided if I want to try that out yet...

-Rich

Looks like he almost made minimum wage in the end.

Went to a McDonald's and got a really bad meal. Made me write them a letter and they sent me 4 coupons for 4 free meals and an apology. But I never thought to just start writing places to see what I could get for free. Gotta hand it to him for original thinking.

rpadula said:
A guy I knew in high school wrote to M&M Mars asking to buy only green M&M's (can't remember why right now). They politely said no, but sent bags of free M&M's.

They have "aphrodesiac" powers. I thought everybody knew that. :D

How times change. Now you can get any single color plus colors you never heard of (like 'chrome' @12 bucks a pound!) direct from the M & M Store on the Las Vegas 'Strip'.

smigaldi said:
Went to a McDonald's and got a really bad meal. Made me write them a letter and they sent me 4 coupons for 4 free meals and an apology.

They sent you that so you could experience 4 more really bad meals! McDonald's is a strong believer in a consistent dining experience. They have an entire University devoted to teaching consistency.

I've only complained in writing twice. Once was to Starbucks about the apalling condition of the store in Burbank and the **** poor attitudes of the two guys at the counter. Got about 6 free drink coupons.

And I complained to our local Taco Bell that the taco salad thingie that I got looked nothing like the picture and what miniscule amount of chicken in it tasted really mushy and bad. Got an aoplogy by the store manager and a free meal. Never did use the coupon for that.

I always write and tell people how good thier products are. But one time I had a bag of M&M's that didn't have any green ones so I called the 1-800 # on the pkg and they sent me coupons for free M&M/Mars candies. Also a coupon for $1.00 off. MOST the time it pays if you are nice.

I complained, somewhat jokingly, that the food I was once served at a Burger King looked nothing like the picture.

The manager laughed hysterically! "Nothing EVER looks like the picture!"

Once upon a time..... On my way from work I went thru the drive through at a Jack in the Box and ordered a chicken sandwich. It wasn't until I was almost home that I discovered that they gave me a sandwich with two pieces of bread, lettuce and that's it! No chicken in sight. I was peeved, but it was just too far to turn around and drive back to complain to that particular store. I wasn't too far from another store though, so I thought, what the heck, maybe they'll fix the mistake store number 1, if not at least I can find out who to complain too.

Not only did store number 2 give me a free meal, they gave me a coupon book for $10 in other free meals.

I wrote to the company to express my appreciation at how the second store manager handled the short comings of the first. About a month later, they sent me a thank you letter with 3 coupon books for $10 each ($30 total) AND I got a follow up apology letter from the manager of the store that short-changed me about a week after that. I was impressed!

I never did eat all those meals though, I gave them to my nephew.. he loved me. ;-)

ausrere said:
I never did eat all those meals though, I gave them to my nephew.. he loved me. ;-)

Aren't nephews the greatest. Its the little things in life that make them happy, and make them thing we are a goddess.

gkainz said:
"Nothing EVER looks like the picture!"
Of course not. And good Lord, if it did, you wouldn't want to eat it!!!
:vomit:

Photogs use wood glue instead of milk to shoot cereral. They use fabric guard spray to keep syrup from soaking into pancakes, and ice cream in an ad may actually be shortening, corn syrup and confectioner's sugar.

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=102996&catId=100406&tid=100008&p=2

http://www.zillions.org/Features/Foodadtricks/Food_ad001.html

I don't know the brand name, but my mom found a piece of metal in a bag of corn chips once. It had even been through the fryer. She sent it back to the company with a letter (not asking for anything), and a few weeks later received a box of 12 bags of chips in different flavors.

Robert said:
I don't know the brand name, but my mom found a piece of metal in a bag of corn chips once. It had even been through the fryer. She sent it back to the company with a letter (not asking for anything), and a few weeks later received a box of 12 bags of chips in different flavors.

Did they give her a metal detector to go along with them? :D :rofl:

smigaldi said:
Went to a McDonald's and got a really bad meal. Made me write them a letter and they sent me 4 coupons for 4 free meals and an apology. But I never thought to just start writing places to see what I could get for free. Gotta hand it to him for original thinking.

I went to McDonalds drive thru, 15 years ago at least, and becaude i was wearing my seatbelt, they gave me a free value meal coupon. kinda neat, appreciative, guess they wanted me to stay alive long enough to die from their greasy food.

On an aviation-related theme, I recently had a problem with my IFR Magazine renewal. I wrote customer service and Phil Penny, and just got a letter today saying they extended my subscription 12 issues at no charge.

Michael said:
I went to McDonalds drive thru, 15 years ago at least, and becaude i was wearing my seatbelt, they gave me a free value meal coupon. kinda neat, appreciative, guess they wanted me to stay alive long enough to die from their greasy food.

Or was it that they knew you wouldn't be able to -- if necessary -- quickly escape the spilled cup of overheated coffee? :rolleyes:

gprellwitz said:
On an aviation-related theme, I recently had a problem with my IFR Magazine renewal. I wrote customer service and Phil Penny, and just got a letter today saying they extended my subscription 12 issues at no charge.

They probably didn't want to cut their circulation by 25% by losing you.

Back