Free New 360 Channel Navcom (Parts)

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
A long time ago in a land far away, my little avionics company designed and marketed a 360/720 channel navcom in kit form. It was and still is the only kit navcom that got "certification" from the FCC for both the receivers and transmitter.

A fellow called me a couple of weeks ago and said he had an unbuilt kit and could I certify it if he built it. I said, "that radio kit is 30 years old and the test fixtures have long since been retired. Sorry." He then offered to send it to me to see if anybody else could use the parts. I said I'd put it out onto the 'net.

So here is the deal. I'm giving it away. So far as I know it looks to be in very original condition, right down to the $600 invoice to the original owner. Owner passed away, widow gave it to George who gave it to Jean who gave it to Kelly ... and so forth. I'd like to get ten bucks for postage, but that is about it. First serious email to jweir43@gmail.com takes it.

Please read the FAQ ...

FAQ

"Is it legal to build it and use it in my airplane?" No. It needed to come back for alignment and testing to FCC specifications, which is no longer available.

"It is missing the flux capacitor. Can you send one?" No. Spare parts have long since been put into the dead files.

"I don't understand step xyz123. What does it mean?" I don't know. I stopped memorizing what I wrote 35 years ago.

"I need technical help." As close as your local radio shop or community college electronics instructor.

"What am I going to do with a box of useless parts if they can't be made into a radio?" I don't have a clue.

Thanks,

Jim

Sounds like it'll make someone a great bench radio.

Maybe they'll hook it up to a Linux box and add a new LiveATC.net feed somewhere for Mr. Pascoe.

Free is a great price (but I assume some assembly was required).

Actually, the radio that I've got piped into the house sound system that listens to the CTAF here, is a scanner I bought for $10 on ebay (the guy said it didn't scan but it tuned one frequency fine...turns out that I think he didn't know how to use it because it does scan fine, but I've got it set to 122.9 all the time anyhow).

Piped into the house sound system. Why didn't I think of that?!

You sir, are a Real Man of Genius.

WEll, poo. The guy I "sold" it to hasn't gotten back to me in a month, which means I either give it to somebody else or the XYL wants it in the trash. Hell, the meter and thumbwheel switches alone cost me almost a hundred bucks back in the day.

Anybody wants it for $10 postage before I toss it? Absolutely complete along with the original manual set.

Jim

I sent you 10 bucks with an address label a day or so after I got your snail mail address. If you'll shoot me your address again I'll stick another 10 bucks in the mail. I might have made a typo on the address or the mailman gave it to a neighbor.

Paul

pmanton at tds dot net

That's strange. I've been looking for it for a couple of weeks. Oh, well, here you go:

Jim Weir
RST Engineering
13993 Downwind Ct.
Grass Valley CA 95945

If you want to do it by Paypal, we can do it that way too. No chance of the mail getting lost.

Jim

Back