Free moving map Android app?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I'll be getting on the aluminum cattle wagon from DTW to LAX this afternoon. It would be neat to have a moving map app that I can use on my new Droid Razr Maxx HD. Need it to be able to download the maps to the phone - I don't want to pay for WiFi on the plane.

Any suggestions?

The fltplan.com mobile app may work for you.

It will place your Android phone's gps position on a sectional or enroute chart, with all kinds of data available besides.

It works great with the Nexus 7.

It's not Foreflight, but for the price (free) it's pretty darn close.

Thanks. I'll d/l Avare and try it out. I already have the fltplan app, but I haven't tried it without data connection, so I didn't know if it would work or not. I'll give them both a try.

Thanks. I'll d/l Avare and try it out. I already have the fltplan app, but I haven't tried it without data connection,

The fltplan app will let you download the charts before your flight.

I ended up using the Avare app and it worked like a charm for that particular trip.

I did mess around with fltplan.com app after the trip and it looks like it does have downloadable maps like Avare. Thanks for the heads-up!

FWIW I use Garmin Pilot but based on the recommendation here I decided to download and try the Avare app.

The main thing I noticed is that their sectionals are not full FAA resolution. They have been knocked down, giving smaller files/faster download speeds but rougher rendering. That's not a tradeoff that I like, so I deleted the app.

I also had trouble zooming out beyond a certain point but that may have been RTFM issues rather than a limitation of the app.

If for some reason you don't want one of the aviation apps, but do want full res sectionals you can use either Orux Maps or Locus(Free or Pro) with stuff from my website. Looks like about 40-50MB per full(front+back) sectional. http://www.chartbundle.com/charts/

Note: the PDF files are reduced resolution since I couldn't even find a desktop PDF reader that would handle them at full size.

Back