Free METAR SMS Service

teamcoltra

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rev. Travis
Hey everyone, I was building a metar SMS system for myself -- and thought since text messages are relatively cheap, I would open up the service to everyone (free stuff, for pilots? thats crazy, maybe I need to multiply my cost by 30).

The number is easy to remember: 91 METAR 333 (1 916-382-7333)

Just send an SMS with your ICAO and you should get a reply back within a couple seconds with current METAR.

Phone support is coming soon, if you live in the Buffalo area you can call in and hear it's current version but it's a bit rough. Once I have the code all finished up I will release it so other people might build on it.

Thanks, but the AeroWeather App on my iPhone covers my needs very well.

Yeah, I have an amazing app on my phone which gives me quick information and also gives me a quick visual if conditions are VFR friendly. However, at the airport (especially under the hanger) I don't really get good reception. If I have data, it's super slow. SMS works great though.

:) It doesn't bother me if people don't use it, it costs me roughly $0.02 everytime it is used. However, if you are like and are in a place with bad reception and you want a quick update on the weather... here you go.

I am currently working on voice -- right now I am just using the NOAAs "decoded" metar text file and reading it out. I might run some type of parsing script of my own to make it a little more understandable.

The goal should be:
1) Type in 4 letter ICAO code (if those 4 numbers have a duplicate, as many will then it will read out "Press 1 for Buffalo, Press 2 for Bangalore")
2) Get a read out reading out the METAR in human terms, but then say "Remarks" and then just read the remarks in computer format.

Though, for me the voice portion isn't really that useful -- I built it mainly for text messages. If you guys have anything else you would like to see, please tell me and I will add it.

Back