Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You have to be nuts to fly IFR W/O an Auto pilot

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I only fly IFR with an Auto pilot

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
None of the above.

When I have an autopilot, I fly by hand from t/o to 3000 AGL, and then give it to George at least until 3000 AGL on descent. From there down, it's largely a matter of weather and workload, with a predisposition to flying by hand except when flying to mins without a pilot in the right seat. In the SPIFR-to-mins situation, I prefer to let the autopilot fly it down the approach while I divide my attention between looking for the runway and monitoring the autopilot.

Of course, my Tiger doesn't have an autopilot in it currently, and that means hand-flying all the time.

I did not vote because none of the answers fit the way I fly. When I practice approaches I hand fly some and I use the autopilot for some. I try to keep a good balance that will keep my skills honed so that I am not dependent on an autopilot but I also like to keep my faith in the equipment up. If my equipment is not working correctly I don't want to discover that while in heavy IMC.

During most routine straight and level flight on cross country trips I tend to engage the autopilot. I feel that this allows me to stay ahead of the game putting more mental resources into flight management. I believe I have always recognized the need to keep my hand flying skills honed and I had an incident where that need was very apparent. I had an HSI failure while IMC at 2400 ft while going into Chicago's Palwaukee airport. My HSI was continuously turning due to a bad gyro and this left my autopilot unusable as well. I was in moderate to heavy turbulence and solid overcast with a 600 ft ceiling. I called ATC to inform them of the failure and that I was flying without a directional gyro and the controller came back with "03victor turn to new heading 210 to intercept the localizer, cleared for the approach". It was an interesting approach and I had my hands full keeping the airplane under control, so much so that I did not have the time to get into a discussion with ATC. First Priority, fly the airplane.

As I was breaking out of the clouds on a somewhat eratic approach ATC asked me if I needed any special handling. I told them that I could have used their help a few minutes back but that I was now in the clear.

Jeannie

Well, for work, no doubt I use the AP a great deal of the time. And that is with a 2 person crew, always. Larger aircraft and higher speeds, it sure makes things easier. Get established on the DP, at a safe altitude, and on it comes.

And I couldn't even imagine trying to hand fly an aircraft at .80 or faster by hand. Since I haven't flown anything that fast, I don't have a clue. But it sure would seem to be dicey...

But for my own aircraft, somebody in the past saw fit to remove what ever AP was in it, leaving me with ....me. I have flown from Colo to the West Coast, the East Coast, the PNW, and the GoM. All by hand... If I had to guess, the longest single experience with hard IMC was maybe 2 hrs... Taxing, you bet! Tiring, oh yes!
But I work my skills all the way along each trip. Though I'm letting my IFR GPS (KLN-94) do the navigating, I'll dial in VOR's and track, or practice various computations as I cruise along. Keeps my mind sharp, and my skills as well. And it helps pass the time in a beneficial way.

Better than Radio Disney on the ADF!!! ;)

Back