Free Airplane Magazines?

HatTrickHero11

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HatTrickHero11
Anyone know of free airplane magazines? Anything about airplanes I like to read about, and so signing up for magazines would be an awesome thing I think.
Or any cheap magazine subscriptions you guys can recommend?

Thanks!

www.flyingmag.com is pretty good. I usually see an ad that it's $1/month occasssionally. But your local library may have back issues. The latest one said you can get digital copies for 99 cents for back issues.

the "Flight training" magazine AOPA puts out is also fairly good. Not a big fan of the AOPA Pilot one.

The Air & Space one was also enjoyable to read. But it's sort of pricey since it's put out by Smithsonian.

Those are the only ones I read regularly. Barnes & Noble bookstore usually has a good selection of flying magazines in one of the sections feel like it's "Hobbies". But take a Saturday (today) and go to a brick & Mortar bookstore and cop-a-squat and read through a couple of the magazines in the store and see what you like.

Air Facts, originally published in 1938, has been relaunched as Air Facts Journal by Richard Collins: http://www.airfactsjournal.com/

Your local, small airport probably throws out a bunch of aviation magazines every month, like Plane & Pilot, Flying, AOPA Pilot and others. If they're located close enough to you, you could probably just stop by and see if you could take them off of their hands every so often.

Your local library might maintain aviation magazine subscriptions.

You'll get over it. I don't think a new aviation article has been written in 30 years, they just change the date and the names of the avionics.

Thanks for the help everyone! I will try these magazines and see if I like them. These trial subscriptions should help me find out which ones I like.

Joining EAA will get you a good magazine too. And Kitplanes ought to be big on your list. Both will open your eyes to a lot of affordable fun. Wish I had known a lot sooner. Wouldn't have wasted so many non-flying years wishing for fun I could afford.
PS: they are NOT all kits....!

Thanks for the help! I have looked at some good magazines so far. So thanks! I was also contacted by someone who is willing to give me their old magazines, so if anyone else is willing to do that, that would be awesome! Thanks again!

Check out your FBO lobby- there's probably a stack of GANews there. It's quite well written (!) and although subscriptions are paid, the ones in the FBO lobby are free. Help yourself to one. Its content is also available online at generalaviationnews.com.

I've been receiving Avionics News for free for close to a decade now. I think I signed up at Oshkosh.

You'll get over it. I don't think a new aviation article has been written in 30 years, they just change the date and the names of the avionics.

They are called "evergreen" articles -- they can be repeated every year at the appropriate time.
How to fly at night. (for winter as the days get shorter)
How to avoid summer thunderstorms.
Why frost will cause you to crash on takeoff.
etc.

To be fair, there was a change when glass panels came out - a surge of "is glass better than steam" for a while.

Back