Fox News Reports Plane Violated DC No Fly Zone

Richard said:
Joe makes a salient point. See guys, it most likely is more than what we know so far.

I think the real problem is how one of the most smallest (slowest) birds in the entire GA arsenal, I mean, fleet could make it past all the big whoop which is the hi tech area protection. Heads are gonna' roll... I think a lot of gubmint officials spent this wknd figuring out a plan to cover their arses.

Too, he makes a good point for carrying a sensitive CO2 alarm in the flight bag for every flight. There's models out there for cheap that I've seen work real well.

Richard said:
Joe makes a salient point. See guys, it most likely is more than what we know so far.

I think the real problem is how one of the most smallest (slowest) birds in the entire GA arsenal, I mean, fleet could make it past all the big whoop which is the hi tech area protection. Heads are gonna' roll... I think a lot of gubmint officials spent this wknd figuring out a plan to cover their arses.

That's not really such a worry to me. They could have shot the thing down well before it got to anything worthwhile. I think the people running the intercept did fine, kept their fingers off the triggers like they should have, and used their brains to figure out what was up.

Some things that need addressed, IHMO: The F-16 pilot said they had determined the plane was not a high threat... why wasn't that communicated to anybody before the entire government ran like chickens with their heads cut off. Finally, they need to reevaluate their decision to evacuate buildings. It disrupts business and places the people at greater risk. If they ever do have a real threat and need to shoot it down, someone standing in the street is likely to be killed by falling debris and fuel that would have lived had they been safely sheltered in massive stone buildings.

Joe,

some of it is politics. Remember that Congerss is debating lifting certain flight restrictions in the DC area, and the military/DHS folks want the restrictions increased. There is incentive to overplay the threat.

I think Joe raises some salient points about communication in the ADIZ, between the FAA and the military and customs. It seems to me that, particularly with a slow plane, there should be some better coordination, for the pilots in the air to be able to tell the security people, "hey, this is a Cessna with two guys on board who look lost".

I read some articles suggesting that they are re-thinking the idea of getting everyone out in the streets. A small plane that gets shot down is going to fall on them. A small plane spreading biological or dirty bomb stuff is going to do more damage if they are out there. And the Brits have learned that a crowd dumped out in the street makes a nice shooting target for terrorists.

If they are going to have all that "controlled" airspace that we have to deal with, they should at least be able to use that "control" to some security advantage.

Jim G

inav8r said:
You know... Looking at that graphic I want to know why the plane wasn't intercepted 30 minutes before he even got to the FRZ. I wonder if the intercept response should have come sooner. I would think that loitering inside of the ADIZ for more than 5-10 minutes should have triggered a response...

maybe they waited a long time to make a point - raise a huge ruckus, get everyone fired up... on purpose.

I agree with Joe - why the HELL put everyone on the streets? debris, bio-crap (as a worst case)... I mean, these are the same people that told us "in case of a biological attack, plastic and duct tape people". good God. what is that saying about the IQ of a group is in INVERSE ratio to the number of its members? maybe it's time to stop reading the papers. I'm glad I don't watch regular TV news.

it also occurred to me... for 9-11... we (DC and NYC) had bupkiss planned. didn't expect it. would things actually be that better now? doubt it. I can tell you one thing, just driving to work on a sunny spring day, seeing the amount of traffic... in case of a real emergency, if I'm home, I'm staying put. if you are out in the streets, or in your car... etc... you are a sitting duck. ain't no one going NOWHERE these parts if there is a real emergency. I'd rather be home and comfortable. I laugh when the Post blares "there's no evacuation plan for DC". well, no sh8t sherlock. you can't herd cats.

woodstock said:
I laugh when the Post blares "there's no evacuation plan for DC". well, no sh8t sherlock. you can't herd cats.

*SNORT* :rofl:

Back