Four-day TFR over Chicago

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
18May to 21May we'll have the usual TFR Ring over Chicago (specific times not stated yet).

I've always just avoided TFRs/TFR-days in Chicago, but I'm pretty sure I'll want to fly on that weekend so long as the weather is nice.

I'll likely be doing some back and forth between KJOT to KUGN (Eisenhower transition is what I usually fly w/ pax for the view, but solo I'll probably aim north until I'm in line with lake in the hills, and then cut east). What do you all recommend for this type of flight (I'm VFR only)? Would it be file a DVFR plan and call up o'hare approach :confused: for a squawk/frequency from the ground, or...?

I don't start instrument until this July, which I'm going to guess would answer quite a few of these questions. =P

Thanks for all/any feedback,
Steven

It depends on the size/location of the TFR, but it's probably best for you to just go around in. From my experience, flying VFR during the POTUS TFRs for Obama's visits is extremely annoying. I only have a few experiences doing this because I got my instrument rating shortly after.

FSS did everything from their end as far as setting up and activating my VFR flight plan, but that's all they could do. Chicago Approach was very painful. I think most of the controllers are under the impression that all VFR traffic is banned (even in the outer ring) and aren't aware that all you need is an active VFR flight plan, a discrete squawk code, and two way radio communication with ATC.

I was departing KRFD for KMDW one afternoon, filed my VFR flight plan, and told KRFD clearance that I had an active VFR flight plan to KMDW, and I need a discrete squawk code to enter the TFR. It took him about 15-20 minutes to call TRACON and get this coordinated, which I was totally cool with, I rather have all this stuff sorted out while I'm on the ground. So I finally get my squawk code and depart.

When I was about 30 minutes east of KRFD, I get the "Radar services terminated, squawk VFR, frequency change approved." from RFD departure. :mad2: I tell them unable, I can't do that inside the TFR. He tells me to stand by, probably gives Chicago Approach a call, and then finally he's able to hand me off.

Approach obviously sounds irritated to hear from me and he informs me that the TFR is delayed and won't be active for another 25 minutes, but that I'd need to be on the ground at KMDW by then to not be busted. :mad2:

I was just like whatever. I had a good tail wind and I knew I'd make it. Even if I didn't, I know I'd be safe because he kept me on for flight following I was doing everything I was supposed to do in the instructions for penetrating the outer ring of the TFR.

These days, I just file IFR, and although the routings aren't ideal, it's so much easier to deal with. :rolleyes2:

Not sure if DVFR is the proper way to go, since that type of flight plan is only used for crossing the ADIZ to go to Canada for example. You could try doing what they do in the DC SFRA which is filing as an IFR flight plan, but puting VFR/035 as your altitude, and "VFR flight plan for TFR" in the comments, but I doubt Chicago Approach would understand your intentions from that though. You could give the TRACON a telephone call and speak with one of their supervisors directly, which is probably what I would have done in retrospect. Their number is in the AFD, or I can PM it to you.

Last edited:
POTUS should just stay home. His roamings hinder more than just honest pilots. It shuts down flight schools and other aviation related income producing avenues for the local tax authority.

Wait.. Chicago is his home.

Are they going to establish a prohibited area over his house when he's no longer president?

Back