• Right Rudder and Left Aileron - Right Handed

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Left Rudder and Right Aileron - Left Handed

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Right Rudder and Left Aileron - Left Handed

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters
jangell said:
Haha. Next time I'll have my GPS record my ground track. All I really know is I turn my crosswind before runway 2/20... I'm at TPA when I pull the power...A C172 climbs pretty quick when I'm alone (145 lbs) and usually below 30 degrees outside.

If you do what I show above. There isn't much of a descend after finishing the turn to final. Usually wings go level just as you touchdown.
I'll leave it to others to work the numbers, but part of my questioning deals with conservation of energy when slipping to the rwy numbers. Seems to me you don't have a whole lot of 'oomph' left for what you would otherwise call the go on a T&G while practicing landings.

Richard said:
I'll leave it to others to work the numbers, but part of my questioning deals with conservation of energy when slipping to the rwy numbers. Seems to me you don't have a whole lot of 'oomph' left for what you would otherwise call the go on a T&G while practicing landings.

My level of energy after touchdown should be the same level as energy as the guy that used 5,000 feet of runway. If it's not the same level. He forced the airplane to land..and that...leads to busted up airplanes.

jangell said:
My level of energy after touchdown should be the same level as energy as the guy that used 5,000 feet of runway. If it's not the same level. He forced the airplane to land..and that...leads to busted up airplanes.

Jesse's experience is about the same as ours during flight lessons in both C150s & 172s when tower at BFI asks us for a short approach. I just wish they'd always climb at the rate that they will come down at.

Maybe I'm the one who is stupid. I'm thinking after excessive maneuvering [like pulling Gs] it's hard to get the energy back. Whadda I know, all my comforting books are packed away.:dunno:

Richard said:
Maybe I'm the one who is stupid. I'm thinking after excessive maneuvering [like pulling Gs] it's hard to get the energy back. Whadda I know, all my comforting books are packed away.:dunno:

Maybe you're right after all Richard...
I think we're probably talking 2 different realms of the slip here. When slipping to a LDG whether aggressively and compounded or mildly and simple, the loss of lift energy up to and including the pre-landing stall is the desired objective. In any event though, if go around ommph is desired, it shouldn't be more than a few seconds after the forward slip is quickly abandoned and full throttle is evenly applied to a piston popper that it is realized for use in coordinated flight.

I don't know. I am sure I can go around just as quick as the next guy. I have the same level of energy I'm just controlling my angle a bit differently. Not only that. I've got ..another 9,000 feet of runway to use for my go around. More then the guy that landed long.

90% of my landings normal or not. I go for the numbers or before the numbers depending on how many lights are in the way that I have a fear of hitting.

Usually I accomplish this by staying on the VASI glideslop until short short final..pull the power back and start a slip for the numbers. If my engine were to quit and if for some reason I messed up and was coming up short of thenumbers..I simply leave the slip and my glide will extend.

The other option for landing on the numbers is setting up for it in your stabalised approach. This though I am not a fan of. You'll be LOW as hell as you approach the runway...with the possibility of taking out cars / approach lights / semi's at some airports. I think this is how most people try to do the numbers game...

Myself..I'll stay up where it's safe until the last moment and use the slip. I'm not saying do this in every airplane. I'll do this in a 172 / 150 / Archer / anything with a tailwheel. Some of the heavier complex retractable jobs...I do a normal use a **** load of runway landing.

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
N8894J said:
Jesse, you need a choice like: "whatever works best at the time", otherwise I can't vote. BTW I doubt that left or right handedness is a factor at all.
Agree.

Depends on winds, traffic in the pattern, obstacles, how loud the passengers are screaming--any number of factors. All else being equal, like most everyone else, I dip a wing into the wind.

-JD

Back