Fort Collins Downtown

4CornerFlyer

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
4CornerFlyer
To Eric Jensen or any other Ft Collins pilots,

In planning for a flight to 3V5 next weekend, I saw a comment on Airnav that the airport will "terminate operations" on 10/31. Is the airport closing, or it just that there won't be fuel etc there?

Jon

4CornerFlyer said:

In planning for a flight to 3V5 next weekend, I saw a comment on Airnav that the airport will "terminate operations" on 10/31. Is the airport closing, or it just that there won't be fuel etc there?

Jon

Last time I was up there, I saw a sign on the FBO window saying that it would be closing permanently.

And it is a real shame. I love that airport. Its perfect for when I go visiting my friend at CSU. The nearest alternative is FNL, a few miles south.

4CornerFlyer said:

Jon

Yes, we've been told to be out by 10/31. Sold for development. I'm looking for a new home. FNL doesn't have any hangars yet.

There are rumours that 3V5 might stay open through the winter with no services.

I'll be around next weekend if you need any transportation or other help.

hey Eric, didn't know you lived there - I have friends who JUST moved out there... if they were flyers I'd tell them to go say hello but they aren't.

sorry about the airport!

woodstock said:
is Ft Collins growing that fast?

It is but the airport could have stayed. Majority partners were trying to make a buck and feuding with others. They sold without even asking the remaining partners if they want to match the price. Bad feeling all around. Ironically the main instigator of the sale died in his Baron, Vmc rollover trying a single engine go around. Right in front of the terminal.

If you're ever out this way, give me a call. I'll show you the Mtns from the Mooney.

ouch! that sucks! do you mean he tried to do a go around in a twin that had an engine out? was it out on purpose - practice - or was it a freak accident?

I'll definitely be out there sometime and I'll definitely give you a call. it likely won't be until Spring at this point but you never know. thanks for the offer.

woodstock said:
ouch! that sucks! do you mean he tried to do a go around in a twin that had an engine out? was it out on purpose - practice - or was it a freak accident?

I'll definitely be out there sometime and I'll definitely give you a call. it likely won't be until Spring at this point but you never know. thanks for the offer.

He had a rough engine and shut it down. Came in too high/hot and tried to go around. When he powered up the good engine it rolled inverted and crashed straight in. Slid backwards into a business gagage.

ejensen said:
He had a rough engine and shut it down.

Can't say I know a thing about flying twins...But, wouldn't you keep running that engine until it wouldn't run anymore?

There was an article last yr. in one of the Denver dailies about it closing, apparently after the owner died in the Baron and then as everyone as said pressures to make $$ selling the land.

The runway is short and narrow, 3400 x 50. At least, for a twin. I've had mine and others in there and it's perfectly safe if you plan and execute just right. Ok to land with an engine feathered, too, but the SE go-around scenario was not a good bet. You pretty much have one shot to get it right, otherwise need to go a few miles south to FNL with 8500 x 100.

Some aviation businesses had to relocate, a cylinder shop and etc. No doubt it cost them big time. Always too bad when we lose an airfield.

Baron 55 said:
There was an article last yr. in one of the Denver dailies about it closing, apparently after the owner died in the Baron and then as everyone as said pressures to make $$ selling the land.

The runway is short and narrow, 3400 x 50. At least, for a twin. I've had mine and others in there and it's perfectly safe if you plan and execute just right. Ok to land with an engine feathered, too, but the SE go-around scenario was not a good bet. You pretty much have one shot to get it right, otherwise need to go a few miles south to FNL with 8500 x 100.

Some aviation businesses had to relocate, a cylinder shop and etc. No doubt it cost them big time. Always too bad when we lose an airfield.

He actually sold before the crash. We hoped maybe the estate would work with the other shareholders but didn't happen.

It's 5300x44 and the 44 was measured in a wide spot.:)

As you said the engine and cylinder shop moved as did one flight school/rental operation. Another one to go. Also a warbird/classic restoration/maintenance outfit.

Plus two helicopter outfits. They have their own heliports but don't know if they'll be able to stay with the 'new' neighbors.

FNL doesn't sound very business friendly, high costs - limited facilities.

My A&P/IA is moving to Greeley with his flight school.

jangell said:
Can't say I know a thing about flying twins...But, wouldn't you keep running that engine until it wouldn't run anymore?

I don't know much either. Maybe flies better feathered. Ask Lance today.:)

We don't know what the situation actually was, whether the engine was sputtering, completely dead, producing some power, etc. It is possible he was trying to preserve the engine by shutting it down. If the power being produced was inadequate to assist in flight, or if it was completely gone, or if engine instruments indicated a problem with oil pressure or temp., [which would encourage him to consider shutting down], then feathering the prop would definitely be in line. We just don't know his thought process or what options he saw. At least, I don't. But once he feathered, he was almost certainly committed to land on his first shot. Not absolutely, but I do not think my Baron would make it around again once I'd spent the altitude to descend. You can often fly a twin in level flight on one engine as far as fuel supply will allow, but climbing in something like a Baron, on a single engine, is iffy at best and not something one can count on accomplishing. It requires near-perfect pilot technique and the best combination of that and density altitude.

Back