Fort Collins, CO - Loreto, MEX

ejensen

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Jensen
Ok, we've got reservations in Loreto (mid-Baja) for Thursday night. Initial plan was Tucson on Wednesday and then the last three hours to Loreto on Thurday morning. The jet stream dropped way south and brought more than usual weather onto my route. Right now it is looking like leaving Tuesday and spending an extra day with mom in Green Valley or doing the whole route on Thursday, about 7 hours flight time.

Comments and discussion welcome from any of you with time on your hands.:)

Mooney M20F - plan 145 knots, 10.2 gph, 64 gallons.
Pilot - IR and current, night current. Very familiar with Tucson leg. First time to Mexico.
Passenger - wife

Sounds like a great trip Eric. What route are you using through the mountains?

I've been to Loreto twice - have you been there before? Nice, laid back Mexican town with just enough tourism to provide good restaurants and a basic infrastructure without the usual gitzy, clutzy tourist crap. I fear this will probably change one of these days. Lots of American planes at the tiedowns. Get in some sea kayaking!

alaskaflyer said:
I've been to Loreto twice - have you been there before? Nice, laid back Mexican town with just enough tourism to provide good restaurants and a basic infrastructure without the usual gitzy, clutzy tourist crap. I fear this will probably change one of these days. Lots of American planes at the tiedowns. Get in some sea kayaking!

First trip for me. Wife was there 30+ years ago. Looking forward to it. I've heard there is a new big resort south of town. In the area were a couple have failed. We're staying in an older place in town center.

gkainz said:
Eric;
Have you checked out the info on the Baja Bush Pilots website? http://www.bajabushpilots.com/

Yes, but haven't join. One of the other planes is a member and is checking the posts. I'm pretty comfortable with Tucson south after AOPA, Customs, and talking to folks who've btdt. Getting to the border is the challenge with the current wx pattern.

Anthony said:
Sounds like a great trip Eric. What route are you using through the mountains?

I'm hoping that Hayden Pass is open Tuesday. Then take a look at Wolf Creek. I'm guess we'll have to go south to Alamosa and then west. This is one of those trips when you not really sure what will happen till you get up and look out the window. We could have fog after this storm so might be IMC leaving. Then how long will it take them to plow the airport. Plan right now is to get off as soon as we can, head south (about 180 mag) and turn west when we can. Doesn't seem like one of those between storm beautiful days, when you can go direct over the big stuff, is very likely.

Hmm, Wolf Creek in the winter? Is that an option very often? I flew through once in the summer and it was...interesting. (Thank goodness for the awos (asos?))

ejensen said:
First trip for me. Wife was there 30+ years ago. Looking forward to it. I've heard there is a new big resort south of town. In the area were a couple have failed. We're staying in an older place in town center.

Ah, the Nopolo. I think I would stay in town too, else why even bother to go :dunno:

My favorite restaurant is Caesars, though I believe they changed their name?

A nice place to relax before dinner - for a beer or whatever - is JR's. Its an open air bar next to the seawall. Take Salvatierra (east) to the water, then right on Calle de la Playa.

OK, now I'm getting jealous :p

alaskaflyer said:
Ah, the Nopolo. I think I would stay in town too, else why even bother to go :dunno:

My favorite restaurant is Caesars, though I believe they changed their name?

A nice place to relax before dinner - for a beer or whatever - is JR's. Its an open air bar next to the seawall. Take Salvatierra (east) to the water, then right on Calle de la Playa.

OK, now I'm getting jealous :p

Thanks, printed and stuck in the flight bag.

We did Loreto in 99 in the Viking, what a cool place - I am dying to go back, you make me envious Eric!
Avoid the resort, stay in town... we found the best B&B, I will look for the website - Paulette and husband from Az on the beach N of town.
Saunter around town, the beach, the cafe's, the beach bar, go for a boat ride to the island...mmmmm.

Eric,

What type of paperwork did you have to file?

Let'sgoflying! said:
We did Loreto in 99 in the Viking, what a cool place - I am dying to go back, you make me envious Eric!
Avoid the resort, stay in town... we found the best B&B, I will look for the website - Paulette and husband from Az on the beach N of town.
Saunter around town, the beach, the cafe's, the beach bar, go for a boat ride to the island...mmmmm.

Looks like we'll have a window to get out tomorrow morning. Have to stay an extra day, darn. :) We're staying at the Hotel Plaza Loreto. We saw the B&B and will check out for future.

Route now looks like 3v5-PUB-ALS-SJN-TUS then next day TUS-MMLT. Might have to go all the way to Las Vegas to turn the corner. Depends on ceilings.

Do you plan to fly down the Baja or the mainland and then cross the water to Loreto? How long is the hop over the water there? Is it a GA type airport or do airlines fly in there also?

Last edited:
SkykingC310 said:
Do you plan to fly down the Baja or the mainland and then cross the water to Loreto? How long is the hop over the water there? Is it a GA type airport or do airlines fly in there also?

We're planning pretty much direct, will be about 45 minutes over water. Might cross at 90 degrees to shore. This would reduce the overwater time to 35 minutes. I'm not too concerned. We're crossing worse areas to go down between home and Tucson than than the Gullf of CA. We will have life jackets and other planes in the area to get help if the worst happens.

Loreto is mostly GA but has a small comuter flying down from LA area. It has a tower and is an airport of entry. Nice so you don't have to stop somewhere else. We will move up to Hotel Serenidad for a pig roast Saturday, 3200' dirt, all GA.

Sounds wonderful. Have a great time. Now I'm itching to explore the baja in a plane! Would I be able to operate in a twin or are the landing strips more adequate for a single?

SkykingC310 said:
Sounds wonderful. Have a great time. Now I'm itching to explore the baja in a plane! Would I be able to operate in a twin or are the landing strips more adequate for a single?

To really explore, I'd want a high wing, C182 minimum. A 180 would be better. But there are several places a twin or Mooney can go. Check out the Baja Pilots web site and book. Some of the strips are under water when the tide is in.

Looks like a great trip. Maybe we can plan a fly in sometime later in the year...

Re: Fort Collins, CO - Loreto, MEX - LONG

Let'sgoflying! said:
back yet Eric? Im dying for a report.
Well you asked for it. It got a little long.:rolleyes:

Yep, yesterday morning. Winds were howling on the Front Range Sunday. Made it as far as Alamosa when Flight Watch painted such a bad picture we decided to wait for Monday. Alamosa was only 17G27 where near home was reporting 45G60. Plus I had one more pass to cross. A friend was a hour or so behind and went around the corner as Las Vegas. He made it.

Anyway, the trip was great. Another great adventure. Three planes ended on the trip. We made it out of Fort Collins Tuesday morning VFR. Another plane had to file to get out of Front Range. There as upslope ground fog. The moutains were mostly clear with thin (1500') layers over the peaks. This was our first trip with O2. We were able to get on top at 14,500. Sure is nice rather than bouncing around under the clouds. Made it over Poncha Pass in the clear. Couldn't do Wolf Creek but Cumbres was fine. Winds started picking up and around Gallup we were down to 105 knots. Surface winds were much lighter so we dropped down and put up with the light chop. Gained back 30 knots. Stopped in Saint John, AZ for gas ($2.75). And waited for our friends in the Mooney Bravo to catch up. The other plane, a 210 had decided to wait till Wednesday to leave. We left first for Tucson and listen to our friends report a very close call.

They almost hit a dump truck on take-off.:hairraise: The truck crossed the runway without stopping. The pilot yanked the plane off and cleared the truck but barely. The co-pilot guessed three feet. The pilot said he was waiting for the gear to hit. Then he put the nose down to keep from stalling. Both of them said it was the closest call in thirty years of flying. The radio report was followed up by phone calls. They also plan on reporting to FSDO.

Back to the trip. Into Tucson Ryan and overnighted with my Mom and husband in Green Valley. We planned a 10 am departure with the other plane. Called Prescott FSS and filed an international flight plan to Loreto, Mex, MMLT. They also suggested I file a return flight plan to get in the US Customs computer. I did but more on that later. BTW, the route is on the US WAC chart and I found the miltary AF/D on line. So we had pretty current info without buying the Jepp trip kit.

Take off and open the flight plan. Head south and cross over the boarder at Nogalas. I was ready to go direct but some the folks prefer as route that goes over islands about 1/3 of the way down the Sea of Cortez. So we headed direct for Isle Tiburon, then across to Baja. Flying down the coast and into Loreto. My first experience with Mexican ATC. Loreto is a Class D.

The Bravo was about 30 miles in front so I got to listen to Walt check in. Their English is pretty good and they do get a lot of American pilots. So no real problem. They ask where you're coming from and must look up you flight plan. The controller started calling the other Mooney by my call sign. Walt would say '63FM is 10 miles out' and the tower would say 'Mooney 234MP report right downwind runway 34'. Walt never tried to correct, just kept saying the right number. Was kind of funny to listen too. 63FM got off the runway before I reported 25 out. After my call there was a loooooong pause. The he came back with the normal stuff and landed 234MP again. :) It was a little windy (25G30) but almost straight down the runway. Now time for the Mexican bureaucracy we'd been warned about.

It really wasn't that bad. About an hour. First to the Commendante to close the flight plan and get the entry papers started. Here's where they checked you license, registration and insurance. Helps to have copies ready. Then to the airport administration to pay landing, passenger and security fees. Then back to the Commendante to get our entry permit for the plane. (You can ask for a multi entry permit for the same price ($50) and it's good for the rest of the year.) Then to immigration for the tourist card and them customs. Didn't charge the normal $20 visa fee and didn't even look at our bags. They did check a bag from the other plane. And just to show how things can get confused, when the third plane came in the next day, they ended up emptying the whole plane, safety gear, raft, the works. Turn out it was a communication problem. Customs wanted all their bags but didn't really care about the plane gear. But without Spanish, John thought they wanted it all.

Patience in definitely called for. For example, the Aircraft Entry Permit is a half page form and they need six copies. The guy fills out the form in a computer and prints it 2 per page. Then with a metal straight edge tears each carefully in half. Then he get carbon paper out of a drawer and assembles the package, which you then sign.

Well were down there and enjoy the next three days in Loreto. http://www.loreto.com/hotelplaza/ Days got warmer and the wind let up each day. There is a nice beach, plenty of fishing boats, good food. Nice town. Walt's Cingular cell phone was working so before we left I called Prescott FSS to check on the return flight plan. Nothing to be found.:( So I refiled for the Sunday return.

Saturday we left for Hotel Surenidad at Mulege about 45 minutes back north. http://www.serenidad.com/ There were only about 40 planes there, a slow weekend. Got there in time for some beach time. We located a taxi driver to arrange a clam bake. While wading around waiting for the clam boat, one of the ladies in our group stepped on a sting ray. Lucky a car was just leave and the took the couple into town. She was hurting pretty bad. The rest of us found and cooks a mess of clams. Then back to the hotel for the pig roast and margaritas. It was a great evening at least what I remember. Did I mention margaritas?

Sunday we left around 9 for Nogalas to check out of Mexico then on to Tucson for US Customs. Nogalas was a great stop. Only cost $7 in fees and about 15 minutes. The on to US Custom at TUS. Again a great experience. No dogs, didn't look in plane or luggage. About 10 minutes tops. Off again for home. Up to 15,500 for smooth air and almost home.

Sorry it got so long, but it was a good adventure. These new challenges are actually fun for me.

whoo-hoo Eric,sounds great; I have to go back there!
couple of questions:
Departure: no ice (other plane)? O2 - do you use a pulse-ox? Saint John has always been a great gas stop I hear, Ive been only once; is that where the dump truck was?
Arrival: Did you not have to walk the green/red light hallway to determine if your bags get checks. I notice no mention of checking the radio station license or rto permit either way; no surprise. Was gas any problem? Price?
I like your comments about patience. You are in a different world, now. The hurrier you get, the slower they become! Chill, relax! No manual Underwood typewriters? Good to hear Cingular works, he didn't have to 'activate' his phone for Mx beforehand?
Return: I don't understand the stop in Nogales, can you not just go direct into the US?? or did you need fuel? Assuming you have the other requirements fulfilled.

Great report Eric and nice trip! Did you have to buy an FCC Radio License?

Let'sgoflying! said:
whoo-hoo Eric,sounds great; I have to go back there!
couple of questions:
Departure: no ice (other plane)?

It was above freezing in the ground and it was a real thin layer. But his Bravo is deiced anyway.

Let'sgoflying! said:
O2 - do you use a pulse-ox?
Yep, I got one of the $150 deals. Check myself got me looking hard for a rig. Put one together on ebay for less than $200.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Saint John has always been a great gas stop I hear, Ive been only once; is that where the dump truck was?
Cheapest gas for 100s of miles. Lots of folks stop, big and small. They even have mogas. It's a strech for the wife to go all the way from Ft Collins.

Yep, came barreling down the crosswind taxiway from the south. Maybe filling off the end of that rwy.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Arrival: Did you not have to walk the green/red light hallway to determine if your bags get checks.

Red/green light machine was off to the side. Maybe they use for charters or when the boss is around.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I notice no mention of checking the radio station license or rto permit either way; no surprise.

All they asked for was license, registration, and insurance. I had a packet of copies of everything including radio station license, radio operator's permint, medical. They seemed happy with that.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Was gas any problem? Price?

Seemed to be plenty of gas. If my calc is right gas was about $3 per gallon. 115 liters for 873 pesos, I think. I'll check tonight an post for sure. Of course they don't wrap in other costs like in the US, they just charge for each service, real or imagined.:)

Let'sgoflying! said:
I like your comments about patience. You are in a different world, now. The hurrier you get, the slower they become! Chill, relax! No manual Underwood typewriters?

They used typewriters too. I just described one part that tickled me. They made entries in at least three books, used the computer, and the typewriter. Plus lots of rubber stamps.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Good to hear Cingular works, he didn't have to 'activate' his phone for Mx beforehand?

Don't know for sure. I expected my Verizon to work and not the gsm phones. Must be the California influence. I think there are as many expatriot Americans as Mexican in much of Baja.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Return: I don't understand the stop in Nogales, can you not just go direct into the US?? or did you need fuel? Assuming you have the other requirements fulfilled.

You have to check out of Mexico somewhere and Hotel Serenidad is an unattended airport although they did have soldiers there. We could have gone back to Loreto or over to Guaymas but Nogales was on the way. No tower, pretty laid back.

Anthony said:
Great report Eric and nice trip! Did you have to buy an FCC Radio License?

I bought one when I went to Canada a couple years ago. Never been asked for it or my operator's permit. But I don't want to give anyone an excuse. I'm probably more concerned about US on the return, although they weren't interested either. The Mexicans want us to bring our dollars. As long as you say hola and gracias. Understand they are just doing their jobs and it really isn't bad. I you come on with the 'ugly american' attutude, I'm sure things will go even slower. They only folks angling for a tip were the gas attendant and one of the soldiers at Mulege. He came to check in the morning and didn't leave until we gave him 50 pesos. He was checking that we were in the book. He couldn't read and wasn't finding our tail number since he was on the wrong date. I found it for him.

Thanks for all the answers, Eric. I still have a hard time with that checking out of Mexico thing. File, hop in and leave! Think they would shoot you at the border or nail you on your next visit?

Sounds like fun. I haven't had the guts to fly the plane into Mexico...

wsuffa said:
Sounds like fun. I haven't had the guts to fly the plane into Mexico...

Bill. My fear has always been they'll "find" something or plant something as an excuse to impound the plane, then demand a large "fee" to release. Maybe I'm paranoid as Eric just did it and Dave S. seems to have no problems either. What's your reason?

Anthony said:
Bill. My fear has always been they'll "find" something or plant something as an excuse to impound the plane, then demand a large "fee" to release. Maybe I'm paranoid as Eric just did it and Dave S. seems to have no problems either. What's your reason?

That's part of my fear, part of it is that the US Customs folks will "find" something or plant it (See Dr. C's story), and part of it is the whole "security of the plane" thing while it's on the ground down there. Maybe I'm paranoid, too, because I don't think I'd hesitate too much on flying into Canada.

wsuffa said:
Maybe I'm paranoid, too, because I don't think I'd hesitate too much on flying into Canada.

Well Canada sure ain't Mexico and the Wild West, but I might try Mexico sometime.

Last edited:
alaskaflyer said:

Still a very nice place. Americans are buying many of the houses and fixing up or building new. Big development if going south in the area that failed several times. Looks line Nopolo is finally taking off with condos and houses. Villages at Loreto Bay.

Airport was great.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thanks for all the answers, Eric. I still have a hard time with that checking out of Mexico thing. File, hop in and leave! Think they would shoot you at the border or nail you on your next visit?

Not sure what would happen. They are using computers some these days so you might get a surprise next visit. Didn't need them for flight plan even though they filed one. Good radio to Prescott FSS from south of the border.

wsuffa said:
That's part of my fear, part of it is that the US Customs folks will "find" something or plant it (See Dr. C's story), and part of it is the whole "security of the plane" thing while it's on the ground down there. Maybe I'm paranoid, too, because I don't think I'd hesitate too much on flying into Canada.

My main fear is a mechanical problem. There were no mechanics at any of the airport where we stopped. If you had trouble you'd have to ferry in mechanic, tools, and parts. I did carry tools, spark plugs, and and my spare vacuum pump. One big reason to go with more than one plane. Although there are enough US plane in Baja that I'm sure someone would help. I never felt any threat from the Mexican authorities. At least in Baja, GA is a major source of tourist dollars. Security was good. Soldiers with guns tend to keep the riff-raff at bay.

I really was more worried coming back to US. Doc C's and other stories had me wondering. Many were from Douglas where Customs isn't staffed, they have to drive over. Maybe they are trying to discourage that AOE. TUS was great, very friendly and professional. Plane after plane landing on a Sunday.

ejensen said:
My main fear is a mechanical problem. There were no mechanics at any of the airport where we stopped. If you had trouble you'd have to ferry in mechanic, tools, and parts.

That's pretty scary. I'd hate to leave the plane there when I flew back and staying may sometimes not be an option due to work schedules, etc.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
That's pretty scary. I'd hate to leave the plane there when I flew back and staying may sometimes not be an option to do work schedules, etc.

Yeah, it takes time and dollars. Several friends have traveled all over Mexico and Central America. They have stories of being grounded for several days or coming back with inop equipment; alternators starters, vacuum pumps. I don't think they've had to leave a plane. Good stories on mechanics and FBO if you happen to be near one. For me, it's bad enough when you have trouble on the road in US. So far I plan to stay near the boarder.

Back