Formation ops

AndyMac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andy
What are the best ways to train for formation ops? This seems, on the surface, like something two pilots could brief and execute without a ton of training but I’m sure, well… I’m sure I’m wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best case, attend a clinic put on by these guys.

http://flyfast.org/content/formation-and-safety-team

Down and dirty without being able to be taught by experienced instructors, at least read about the basics.

http://flyfast.org/content/formation-and-safety-team

Is it crazy to think in-air loose formations are relatively safe? Maintain visibility, and break off in the right directions if not? (Obviously that all happens in the brief, no?) Takeoff doesn’t sound too risky either, with a wide enough runway for no overlap.

Did you mean for your second link to be the same as the first?

Formation landings sound like air show fodder.

Is it crazy to think in-air loose formations are relatively safe? Maintain visibility, and break off in the right directions if not? (Obviously that all happens in the brief, no?) Takeoff doesn’t sound too risky either, with a wide enough runway for no overlap.

Did you mean for your second link to be the same as the first?

Formation landings sound like air show fodder.

Oops. Second link.

http://flyfast.org/sites/all/docs/FAST_FKG_2.0.pdf

And yes, a basic brief will cover contingencies. This is a simple formation brief that we used in the Army. You could replace a lot of this and use it for a fixed wing brief.

F364B5D6-C90E-4040-8402-6D61A75C017A.jpeg

This came up recently in a similar thread. I still highly recommend working with the OSH Mass Arrival groups. They train to do formation flying (for free) and use the FAST/FFI standards. Contact Mooney Caravan, Bonanzas to OSH, Cherokees to OSH, Cessnas to OSH, or others and check it out, as appropriate to whatever you’re flying. Their requirements for the arrival are pretty basic but they all have people in their midst who love to do it and move to more advanced formation flying.

DO NOT try this simply by reading a book or watching videos! Get dual time! You wouldn’t think of flying a plane or even doing IFR without proper training, I hope!

It’s a lot of fun, when done with other qualified people.

What are the best ways to train for formation ops? This seems, on the surface, like something two pilots could brief and execute without a ton of training but I’m sure, well… I’m sure I’m wrong

Looks like you’re in west MI per your profile page. There happens to be a training clinic in Gladwin, MI next weekend for Cherokees2OSH.com. Stop by and check it out!

Looks like you’re in west MI per your profile page. There happens to be a training clinic in Gladwin, MI next weekend for Cherokees2OSH.com. Stop by and check it out!

Brilliant!

With good training….

4680EF07-F76C-418E-B5A7-841AC0566F58.jpeg

And that’s the simple part. Rejoins are a hoot. Same with Extended Trail. And Lazy Eights.

Back