Form 8710 Question

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
This doesn't happen very often, but I'm perplexed.

I currently hold Private, ASEL, with Instrument Rating.

I will be applying for Commercial, ASEL, and I want the Instrument Rating to carry over.

In Block 1 of the 8710, it asks for the Application INformation. Obviously, I check Commercial. Do I also check the Instrument block? Or does the FAA pick that up automatically (I've already taken the exam, I don't need to take it again).

I've had one person tell me to check the box, another said I don't have to unless I'm taking the instrument exam again.

So, which is it? And where can I find the reference to indicate the correct way to do it. The answer is NOT in the instructions....

Sigh.

Leave the block alone. Remember, you already have the instrument rating. Nowhere in Part 61 does it say "instrument commercial". There are rules for doing commercial w/o having the instrument rating....but you have the rating.

Besides, the Comm. certificate (not a rating) is all VFR maneuvers. There's not one spit of instrument work on it anyplace. : -)

Have fun, Bruce CFI

That's what I though, Bruce. One wag suggested that the FAA wouldn't pick up the instrument on the new cert. unless the box was checked.

I've got about 1100 hours. It's about time to finish the Commercial - before I get involved in a new job & no longer have the time.....

Back