Foreign DOD Approach Plates

Gary Sortor

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GaryS
If you're used to obtaining DOD Caribbean approach plates (or other foreign plates) for free on the internet, you won't be able to beginning October 1. Citing national security, bilateral agreements, copyright issues and more, a notice in the Federal Register has been filed to discontinue internet access to general aviation for DOD approaches and related materials (FLIP, DAFIF, and other materials). This action will also include public sale of hardcopy materials.:mad: See http://naco.faa.gov/content/naco/SpecialNotices/FR-04-25631-27645.pdf

Gary:

Where are the free approach plates now? I had to order them last time I needed them.

Dave

So, let me see...this information is too sensitive to have on the internet but if you send us $XX.xx we will give you the same information, no questions asked? :confused::confused:

Dave "a happy taxpayer" Blackmon

Dave Blackmon said:
So, let me see...this information is too sensitive to have on the internet but if you send us $XX.xx we will give you the same information, no questions asked? :confused::confused:

Dave "a happy taxpayer" Blackmon

No, the Feds won't sell 'em either.

I suppose you can get them from Jepp at a $$$$.

Next will be weather services.

I've posted links to several sources of free, downloadable international aeronautical charts on my Web site at:

http://www.bruceair.com/online_resources.htm

These links point you to Web sites maintained by the Aeronautical Information Services of aviation authorities around the world.

You must use care to ensure that you're getting current information, and the offerings vary with country--some Aeronautical Information Services offer en route, area, approach, departure, and airport charts; others offer only some items.

You also must study the charts carefully to ensure you understand the format and information.

If you like exploring exotic instrument procedures, you can do so using Microsoft Flight Simulator, which includes most of the airports and navaids at airports worldwide (although the database in Flight Simulator is never up-to-date). For more information about using Flight Simulator in this way, see my Flight Simulator page at:

http://www.bruceair.com/flight_simulator_links.htm

Bruce:

I can't find anything for Mexico there. Going to Cozumel this summer and would just like to do some planning.

Any ideas?

Dave

If the site is not available via the links that I posted, then the government AIS probably hasn't posted information on the Web. Your best bet for Mexico is probably Jeppesen.

If your Spanish is a lot better than mine, you might find something at:

http://www.dgac.gov.do/

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
Bruce:

I can't find anything for Mexico there. Going to Cozumel this summer and would just like to do some planning.

Any ideas?

Dave

See my post above for exact URL. Mexico stuff is under Caribbean/South America approaches near the bottom of the cited page.

Gary Sortor said:
See my post above for exact URL. Mexico stuff is under Caribbean/South America approaches near the bottom of the cited page.
====================================================

Thanks Gary:
Got the procedures, now heeew, I'll try to understand them!! ;)

In take-off minimums, what do you suppose they mean by "diverse departure not authorized"? Maybe, must do the DP? :confused:

I'll look at the rest.

Dave

Last edited:
Looking at the VOR/DME 1 RWY 05 to Cozumel, looks like the altitudes are marked different that I'm used to. Any thoughts?

Category A and B S-05 (which I assume is straight in) 500-1600m 485 (500-1600m) is in the box showing where the MDA is. Does this mean 500-1600 meters? What's the m? Why the 500-1600 instead of one specific MDA?

I may stay VFR at all costs :p

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Looking at the VOR/DME 1 RWY 05 to Cozumel, looks like the altitudes are marked different that I'm used to. Any thoughts?

Category A and B S-05 (which I assume is straight in) 500-1600m 485 (500-1600m) is in the box showing where the MDA is. Does this mean 500-1600 meters? What's the m? Why the 500-1600 instead of one specific MDA?

I may stay VFR at all costs :p

Dave

m is meters.

Never mind, I published the legend. Interesting the 500 would be MDA in feet and the 1600 is prevailing visibility in meters. Looks like I've got some homework to do!! Thanks again.

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
mean by "diverst departure not authorized"?

Dave do you get IFR? P6 of May05 discusses it. If you don't I can synopisize it or scan it for you

Thanks Dave.

IFR is another one of those things I'd like to try. I'm just kind of up to my neck in things to read now. Anything you can send would be much appreciated.

Dave

Dave get the Jepp plate. It'll all be very "american" in layout....and content.

Back