Foreflight vs Wing x vs Garmin

When I went through this decision process a while back, the general consensus seemed to be that Foreflight was marginally better at flight planning, and WingXPro7 was marginally better for enroute.

This may have changed, but some were buying both programs to have the best of both worlds. The cost is rather minimal compared to other things aviation-related.

As I said, I went with WingXPro7 and I'm satisfied. Just wish they'd listen to me and make the iPad interface available on the iPhone. Maybe I should ask - again!:mad2:

Last edited:
As I said, I went with WingXPro7 and I'm satisfied. Just wish they'd listen to me and make the iPad interface available on the iPhone. Maybe I should ask - again!:mad2:

I agree it would be neat if you could run the iPad version on the new iPhone 6's. I would think the processor in the 6's should be able to handle it. Even though the 6 and 6+ screens are larger than the older iPhones, I wonder if the size and/or resolution poses some issue. It would be neat if the software could check to see if you are loading on a 6 and give you the option on which version to run. I'm sure Hilton has been pretty busy working on the new Android version. Maybe they will have this on the radar down the road once they get beyond the Android rollout.

More playing is actually leading to more doubts. Foreflight really has the better interface for me so far, but WingX does give you more for the cash. I like that for the base price WingX has the terrain, synthetic vision, etc. On the other hand I am finding the Foreflight's weather overlays way easier to visualize and use, the program just feels more polished.
You are finding the same things many others have. My original decision was much easier since it was in the early days of both apps and there was price parity along with a much smaller set of features.

My first exposure ever was to FF and WingX seemed to click better for me.

If WingX delivers on Android I am dropping GP and will sell my GDL-39 3D. I am completely disatisified with the lack of feature parity between the Android and iOS versions of GP and figure 2 years is enough time - seems to be one step forward two steps back with each update.

'Gimp

My first exposure ever was to FF and WingX seemed to click better for me.

Same experience for me. It was more a substance over style choice for me, one had a 'shiny' UI that used the iOS api's very well but with limited features or extra pay-to-play features, while the other looked liked Windows 95 but offered a whole host of unrestricted features that played with external hardware from multiple vendors, all for one low price.

To me it's like Lexus versus Toyota, same car underneath, both will get you from A to B, just some people like to buy Lexus for a perceived increase in quality.

Last edited:
I have them all.. Right now, I'm a WingX user because CFI's can get on the bus for free.. :)

I like the interface of Garmin better, but honestly I'm not overly impressed that much with any, but I caveat that with the fact I've only used Garmin Pilot extensively.

I load up my flight plan, get the weather, etc. its cool.

What I dont have is a sort of "start flight" and "stop flight" button. It just lingers there and tracks you, but when you're done, it still just lingers. I like the idea of it being similar to a GPS in a car for navigation. I start it, when I hit the airport I have arrived, it logs it, and I can go back and look at my history, etc.

Cloud ahoy does a great job of this. I fail to see why Garmin cant.

Hmm need to look at the Garmin Pilot also. I have the D2 pilot watch and they sync.

I didn't find much benefit in the d2 other than a "cool to have" thing. Basically it seems to sync your garmin pilot flight plan to the watch and that's it. I use my D2 for ultra running more than flying, but even then I can still only get 20 hours of GPS usage and its semi-accurate. Running 10 to 11 minute miles for hours and hours and all of a sudden picks up a variance in your location it reports that 40 miles in I decided to lay down a 7 minute mile or two.

Should also say it would be a great backup to a backup with the NRST button. I'm still a bit puzzled that the 430 in my airplane doesnt have one.

I'm also interested in if there's any difference in garmin pilot interface on Android tablets vs anything else.

I have two iPads which I love. One is personal but can be used for aviation (and full sized), one is a mini that is strictly aviation only. Both are wifi only and I didnt update to 8.3...the one time in my life I didnt jump to update ASAP and it paid off.

I'm also really tired of buying $400+ aviation products. So if I can pick up an android tablet for ultra cheap with a GPS receiver in it, and just install Garmin pilot on it, it may take over as a primary

I didn't find much benefit in the d2 other than a "cool to have" thing. Basically it seems to sync your garmin pilot flight plan to the watch and that's it. I use my D2 for ultra running more than flying, but even then I can still only get 20 hours of GPS usage and its semi-accurate. Running 10 to 11 minute miles for hours and hours and all of a sudden picks up a variance in your location it reports that 40 miles in I decided to lay down a 7 minute mile or two.

I noticed it also has the ant sensors that are used with biking, may need to get those.

Its basically a Fenix with some additional aviation options, so i would be great with that. Anything you can do with a Fenix, you can do with a D2

Hence the reason why portable GPS devices are for situation awareness only.

Last edited:
Should also say it would be a great backup to a backup with the NRST button. I'm still a bit puzzled that the 430 in my airplane doesnt have one.
As you probably know since you fly with one, it has the function and it works just as quickly and easily, just not a "button."

As you probably know since you fly with one, it has the function and it works just as quickly and easily, just not a "button."

Yeah, its just puzzling that its not an easy button. I would think that would probably be one of the single best buttons to have.

As far as the GPS as situational awareness, while I'm aware of the intent and generally agree, my scenario of accuracy doesnt apply. I set my GPS watch to "endurance mode" when I run long so it only updates every minute to 90 seconds vs real time. Otherwise I find them as accurate as my 430. I've used my D2 to give military grid locations that were "very important" they be accurate, without an issue.

I started using Garmin Pilot (in addition to FF) when I had a G3X panel installed two months ago. It’s great to plan a flight on the iPad at home or the hotel and then load it into the airplane when you get there. I also find the “flight conditions” icons more descriptive, you can see ceiling and visibility in one glance.

What I prefer on FF:
-All airmets are displayed on the map at the same time, with GP you have to cycle through Icing, IFR/MTN, Convective, and Turbulence (not on the same page.)

-Stadium TFRs on GP read “until further notice.” FF lets you know when TFRs will be and are active.

-ForeFlight lets you edit a flight plan directly on the map, in GP you need to go to a flight plan editing page instead. On this page you only have half the real estate because the other half is taken up by the waypoint list.

-ForeFlight’s map/chart takes into consideration the spherical earth. In GP you end up having to figure “great circle” routes while on FF you need only make a straight line for the closest distance between two points. I just flew from Los Angeles to NY and back and this made a huge difference. I ended up planning a flight on FF, then transferring it to GP and then to the G3X.

-Foreflight suggests best runway with green arrows with wind components. There may be a GP equivalent, but I haven’t found it yet.

For now I’m using the money I save by downgrading to standard FF to pay for Garmin Pilot. The only part of the FF “Pro” subscription I used was geo-referenced taxi diagrams and I have that on the G3X.

I haven't used Wing X for years and I'm sure it's greatly improved. If I were renting I'd still use ForeFlight, but it's effectively twice the price of the other two because the geo-reference taxi diagrams I consider essential when flying to an unfamiliar airport.

>> Foreflight suggests best runway with green arrows with wind components.

I assume you have to have a Stratus connected to get that, but even then, isn't the ADBS weather data delayed/ not realtime ?

I assume you have to have a Stratus connected to get that, but even then, isn't the ADBS weather data delayed/ not realtime ?

Don't need stratus, but if you do and you're not near a cell tower, it integrates.

Don't need stratus, but if you do and you're not near a cell tower, it integrates.

But the ADS-B is not real time - there is always a delay I thought.

But the ADS-B is not real time - there is always a delay I thought.

ForeFlight only uses ADS-B if you're connected to the Stratus. Otherwise it downloads the TAFs, Metars, Airmets, radar, and satellite images via a cellular connection. I'm at home now at 4:15pm and the radar is from 4:05. (and probably a little older than that) I'd never fly so close to to weather that that would be an issue. When you get ATIS at your airport it's only updated every hour or so, no?

Now that is worth me reevaluating. I'll be taking a look at it

ForeFlight only uses ADS-B if you're connected to the Stratus. Otherwise it downloads the TAFs, Metars, Airmets, radar, and satellite images via a cellular connection. I'm at home now at 4:15pm and the radar is from 4:05. (and probably a little older than that) I'd never fly so close to to weather that that would be an issue. When you get ATIS at your airport it's only updated every hour or so, no?

ATIS yes, AWOS/ASOS/etc. no.

And your eyeballs are up to the second.

When you get ATIS at your airport it's only updated every hour or so, no?

True but I have encountered situations where ATC can switch the landing runway without updating ATIS immediately

Since nobody else mentioned it: Avare

Though this may be because I fly with a G1000 and only really need geo-referenced charts. Still, I highly recommend you at least check it out, doubly so if you're on Android. Hard to beat free.

I did some research on lots of the new features. Then wrote to foreflight and explained how I tried it in 2013 and didnt like it then, went with GP, and would like to try out the new on a free trial.

Within 5 minutes I had an email response offering an additional 7 day trial whenever I want.

Unless I download it and it sucks, I think the switch is made

I saw mentioned the better stadium TFR interface on FF vs GP. Maybe someone can tell me I'm wrong, but I don't think wingX supports them at all. I've used wingX for years but my subscription just ended and this alone may be enough to make me switch.

Also, wingX customer support is absolutely terrible. I've sent a number of questions to them that were never replied to. For example, "How do I display stadium TFRs?"

Correct WingX does not show stadium TFR's but it shows normal ones.

Back