Foreflight vs Wing x vs Garmin

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
Just got my ticket, and was trying to decide between the different flight planning apps. Most of the pilots I know use Foreflight. My dad has to be the one that bucks that trend and uses Wing x, and the plane I am going to be using has all Garmin stuff in it.

What program should I use?

What is the difference between Foreflight basic vs Pro from a real world standpoint?

I like the foreflight Pro . I use it with a stratus 2 ,does everything I need. Tried the wing x ,but prefer Foreflight.

It's personal, and somewhat related to what product you used first. Pilots I respect each like different products. Get their free demos and give them a try.

I've had subs to each, often as many as 4 different at a time. I've settled on WingX, as I get the best bang for the buck. You can't beat the 3 year deal, and it works with a wide range of 3rd party products.

FF is a great product, but you need the Pro version to get many of their recent features.

Last edited:
What is the difference between Foreflight basic vs Pro from a real world standpoint?

Geo-referenced approach plates, W&B calculator(s), Terrain, etc., plus you can add synthetic vision. I'm upgrading to Pro during my next cycle.

You're only going to know which one you'll like better if you actually try them all. I don't know how the others are, but Foreflight has a 30 day trial period where it's free. I've only ever used Foreflight, so I can't say how the others are, but I DO love it paired with my Stratus 2 for WX and Traffic.

The plane I am training to fly has weather and traffic (but not synthetic vision) as part of the Garmin systems. SO not sure I need those added features in Foreflight pro. If that changes anything

Foreflight has a big following with CFIs so they use that and assume everyone else uses that, so a lot of students use it. Example my CFI asked my F15 driver cousin if they he uses Foreflight.

I have a Navworx ADS-B system in my plane so I use WingX because it's compatible with it. I also like the dual window view. Typically I have the map on the left and the approach charts on the right. I recently upgraded to the IFR version of WingX for Geo-referencing stuff.

The product often overlooked is flyQsawa demo at sun n fun, looked good had most of the features as FF for less money. Can be used with several ADSB type products. Have a lot invested in FF so I'm staying with FF pro.

I like the foreflight Pro . I use it with a stratus 2 ,does everything I need. Tried the wing x ,but prefer Foreflight.

Ditto.

I started with Foreflight, then switched to WingX for a couple years because FF & Stratus were lagging in capabilities at that time (was missing full dual frequency ADS-B in and SV which the WingX/Clarity SV provided), then I came back to FF once the Stratus 2 was released. I was in IR training and FF at that time (early 2014) was better at IFR route planning and entry -- and my instructor used FF.

At this point, the apps are all pretty much at parity IMHO (and improving at light speed) with only minor differences separating them. With the new procedures preview in FF I'd say it's best for IR but not by much. For VFR it's a matter of preference because the features are very similar. I personally prefer the layout of FF and find WingX to be a bit kloogy in some of its layout. I still maintain my subscription to WingX as a backup in case there's ever an iOS release that blows up FF.

So far Garmin is the only one that provides cross-fill with their panel-mounted navigators (with installation of the FlightStream box that enables it). That would be extremely compelling if I had a GNS 430 or 530 which both use the old 2-knob entry (slow). But it's actually less compelling with a GTN 750 because data entry on it is fast natively.

Last edited:
Among the three 90% of the choice is which of them =you= (not me, not your CFI, not your cousin Morey) finds easiest to use. Function-wise, almost everything one does is done by the others (or will be soon) with the difference being in how you go about getting them to do it. The good news is that all three (and others) have free trials and there are videos galore so you can see for yourself.

In ForeFlight, most of the "Pro" differences are IFR-related (such as geo-referenced approach charts). There are a few unfortunate exceptions - not everything in Pro is IFR, For example, only Pro users get to have geo-referenced taxi-diagrams which is unfortunate since I think they are a very important safety feature that should be standard (I think it is in the others).

Ditto.

I started with Foreflight, then switched to WingX for a couple years because FF & Stratus were lagging in capabilities at that time (was missing full dual frequency ADS-B in and SV which the WingX/Clarity SV provided), then I came back to FF once the Stratus 2 was released.

Kinda like chasing a localizer needle, eh? :D

Geo-referenced approach plates, W&B calculator(s), Terrain, etc., plus you can add synthetic vision. I'm upgrading to Pro during my next cycle.

As a couple have said you can get most of that, geo ref plates on the main map, terrain, synthetic vision etc in FlyQ. It's a lot cheaper than FF. There are a few things I like in FF but for the price difference it's not worth it to me. Plus you aren't locked into 1 adsb choice.

Try them all and see who you like. It helps to watch the demos or tutorial to make sure you understand some of each.

When I was trying them out, FF wouldn't let me download charts unless I paid, not sure how you tried it out, so I gave up on it, ended up with GP

I use Foreflight Pro, but like others this is the only one I have really tried. I went through the same dilemma as you, but in the end I mainly went with Foreflight because so many of us here use it and I already had a Sporty's account.

The maps on my iPad2 are so much easier to read than most of the mounted units, darn old eyes. Yes I have the eyes of a middle-aged sap, though I have the body of an 18 year old stud. Or maybe it's the other way around.

FWIW, IFlyGPS is a contender and has the distinction of being pretty much identical on Android or iPad. WingX for Android will be along by summer.

Seems like I'm in a rare group... I like Garmin Pilot. I'm a VFR only pilot. I like the fact that I can split the screen and have the map on one side, and instruments or airport information on the other. I started off with Foreflight and when it expired I tried the one month trial of GP. I've now been using it over a year and just renewed. As someone else mentioned, get the free trial of each and see what you think. Just don't buy a ADS-B In device until you're sure which program you're going to use.

I like GPs charts, a lot less clutter than standard FAA versions, less info, FAA better for planning, GP better for navigating

If garmin worked with third party hardware and apps as well as everyone else, had the debrief functions of cloudahoy, and kept the simple interface, it would rule them all.

Just dreaming here

FF is a great product, but you need the Pro version to get many of their recent features.

I guess it depends on your definition of "many": MOS Forecasts (TAF-style forecasts from over a thousand airports around the country); Procedure Advisor with SID/STAR/Approach added to route; Chart Touch sectional & IFR Low & High charts (tap to bring an individual chart forward, or view its legend & border); FBO locations on Aircraft diagrams; ForeFlight created airport diagrams for >1700 airports around the country including mostly smaller airports that don't have an FAA airport diagram; Graphical winds aloft map layer with selectable altitude; multiple scratchpad templates; Pack to make sure you have the weather & charts needed for your planned flight; NOTAM advisor to show NOTAMs on plates & airport diagrams, etc... are ALL available with the ForeFlight Basic plan.

It's personal, and somewhat related to what product you used first. Pilots I respect each like different products. Get their free demos and give them a try.

True, asking about which aviation app is the best is like starting a religious war. Tread lightly, my friend. :)

And test driving the demo apps is a great advice because you can find out what style of app control you like the most and which app you are most compatible with. Then consider the features that you need/want and see what decision that leads to. :)

One of my CFII's had Wing X and the other had Foreflight. I chose Foreflight after flying behind its demo and could never really get the WingX to work when I needed it to. Could have been operator error but FF is my choice. I have the stratus 2 and the Pro version, I also carry 2 Ipads on any trip over 2 hours away in case the battery drains on the mini I have the Ipad2 as a back up. My dad bought the garmin 796 and I did most of my training behind that, nothing wrong with it but I preferred the apple (which I am not an apple fan but rather an Android/Motorola fan) another plus is I added FF to my wife's Iphone 6 and have used it in a bind before.

One of the benefits of FF is that my Iphone acts as a backup to my Ipad in the event of a failure all on one subscription. Not sure if the other players have that ability.

One of the benefits of FF is that my Iphone acts as a backup to my Ipad in the event of a failure all on one subscription. Not sure if the other players have that ability.

WingXPro7 does.

I forget how many, but it let me install it on three devices with no problem.

Not unique to FF, so hardly a deciding factor

They all do. In fact, Garmin Pilot, iFly GPS (that one for $20 extra) and (soon) WingX Pro allow your Android tablet to be used as a backup in the event of an iOS glitch .

Nah that could not happen. :nono: Oh, I forgot about 8.3 and Bluetooth devices! :yikes: :wink2:

My plan going forward is to use my WingXPro7 on my iPhone 6+ for sectional and current nav info*, and keep my iPad Mini either secured on my lap or as a functional kneeboard to bring into play as a backup if necessary.

I STILL wish the iPhone would emulate the iPad interface. It's better for me and there's enough screen real estate to accommodate it. I've requested that option from Hiilton Software several times to no avail. :(

*I currently just update my 496 annually, and then just nav data and obstructions.

I think I'm going to stick with paper. Seriously. I keep the navdata current on my GTN750. That seems like it's good enough and better than paper. A three or four year old WAC doesn't change all that much. You can cover a huge part of the U.S. with a couple of WACs.

For local IFR practice I download and print out approach plates in booklet format. For the occasional longer trips where I expect IMC, I will have to get charts. For me though that is not likely to happen all that often. Due to SWMBO, having a printer, lots of paper, and plenty of ink is pretty much a fixed cost at my house anyway.

I do have fltplan.com on iPhone with charts/approach plates in my area of the country if need be. I like fltplan.com due to its pricing: free. Georeferenced maps/plates are free too. I'm not sure how they make money off me, but that's their bizniss. I also have a GPS196 that I will tote with me on long trips if GTN goes down to get me back home to have it fixed.

Keeping all these gadgets updated is overwhelming.
No problem. All the technology does is give us choices. If your choice is to stick with paper, good so long as it works for you.

But so you know, updates are easy, much easier than getting new paper charts. Don;t even have to walk out to the mailbox :D

Quick story about convenience: We recently took a trip with a paper pilot. Even for our short trip, his folding and unfolding of paper while I tapped my finger led my wife to comment, "No wonder you love your iPad so much for flying. That looked like a lot of work." (BTW, we were equipped with a GTN650)

Levi's, Lee, or Wrangler? Which one to choose? Same deal with pilot apps.

I've tried Wing X, Foreflight, and Garmin. I still maintain subscriptions to Foreflight and Garmin. I invested in a GDL39 3D to maximize the Garmin Pilot because it's my personal favorite. Which will be best for you? You'll need to try them on to find out which fits you best.

Last edited:
Leve's, Lee, or Wrangler? Which one to choose? Same deal with pilot apps.

I've tried Wing X, Foreflight, and Garmin. I still maintain subscriptions to Foreflight and Garmin. I invested in a GDL39 3D to maximize the Garmin Pilot because it's my personal favorite. Which will be best for you? You'll need to try them on to find out which fits you best.

Ditto !

Cheers

I have Foreflight and WingX currently downloaded for the trial. It seems WingX does give you a little bit more for your money in the base version (terrain and synthetic vision without going pro), but I think I like the interface a little better on Foreflight. But I need to play with it some more. I just have been planning mock trips.

I have Foreflight and WingX currently downloaded for the trial. It seems WingX does give you a little bit more for your money in the base version (terrain and synthetic vision without going pro), but I think I like the interface a little better on Foreflight. But I need to play with it some more. I just have been planning mock trips.
You are going though the best process for making a good choice.

Get their free demos and give them a try.

I've settled on WingX, as I get the best bang for the buck. You can't beat the 3 year deal, and it works with a wide range of 3rd party products.

+1. If you are just going to buy the base version, WingX has so many more features for the money. It really surprises me why anyone would buy the base version of FF instead of WingX. I suppose they don't do their homework. If you are going to go all out for the 'Pro' versions then the line blurs there and it comes down to preference.

Make sure you try them out in an airplane. What works and looks nice in your La-Z-Boy in the den may not be the best choice in a bumpy airplane with less than optimum screen visibility.

Also don't forget about watching the WingX videos on YouTube. They will show you how to get the most out of WingX.

I downloaded the trial version of ForeFlight a while back and was very disappointed at what was not there. The following come in the base version of WingX that I did not see in the trial version of ForeFlight.

Terrain data base
Obstacle and terrain warning
Simulator for runniing through your flight plan
Split screen
Georeferenced airport diagrams
Synthetic vision (99 cents)
Descent glideslope calculation
Flight recorder (Rewind) that records all GPS and AHRS parameters during flight
Extended runways overlay showing landing pattern
A very handy intutive distance calculator on map screen
In route terrain altitude / above ground level display toggle
Terrain summary that can be selected to show a graph of the flight route or the next 50 miles from your current GPS position.
Winds aloft altitude selector to help you pick the optimum altitude for your flight
WingX can use a multitude of ADS-B and AHRS boxes, FF only works with Stratus.

There are probably other differences I don't remember. If I have mis-stated anything above, please correct me. This is not intended to be for or against either program but rather a factual list of the differences in the base version.

It would be really neat if there were a features comparison matrix to factually show the differences between WingX, FF and Garmin Pilot and to point out what comes in the base versions of each program versus what the 'Pro' version of each adds.

Last edited:
We have these WingX vs FF vs GP discussions from time to time. To me the great thing is that all three programs are pretty awesome. By having three big players competing, they drive each other to keep improving the programs. It is really hard to go wrong with any of the three. They all provide a lot of bang for the buck, some more than others, but they are all good. As Stewartb pointed out, a lot comes down to what you like and feel comfortable with. I just know that I love flying in a cockpit that is essentially paper free with an iPad on my yoke.

More playing is actually leading to more doubts. Foreflight really has the better interface for me so far, but WingX does give you more for the cash. I like that for the base price WingX has the terrain, synthetic vision, etc. On the other hand I am finding the Foreflight's weather overlays way easier to visualize and use, the program just feels more polished.

Back