Foreflight Two Devices?

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Question. I don't have an iPhone (yet), but both my boyfriend and I will soon be up with our 2 year contracts and will eventually get new phones.

I heard that Foreflight - which I now have only on my iPad - offers you two devices. In other words, you can have it on your iPhone and your iPad for the same price.

My boyfriend has said (but I am not sure if this is true) that he might want to be a pilot. My subscription isn't up until next year.

Hypothetical question:

If my boyfriend buys an iPhone, can I add him to my Foreflight? Or does it have to be my iPhone?

Second question:

If he takes flying lessons (which I doubt he will), can he use the app while I'm flying solo somewhere else? In other words, can it run on two devices at the same time?

Many thanks for your answers.

While I think the answer to both of your questions is yes, I have to question whether it violates the spirit and intention of ForeFlight allowing you to have the program on two devices.

I have FF on my iPad as well as my son's, we have never had any issues, but I don't think we have flown separately.:D There is no way FF would know you are using them at the same time in flight. ;)

I think it is two devices associated with the same iTunes account.

I have it installed on both my iPhone and iPad, but I think it needs to be on the same iTunes account.

I have FF on my iPad as well as my son's, we have never had any issues, but I don't think we have flown separately.:D There is no way FF would know you are using them at the same time in flight. ;)

Is he on your iTunes account? (I don't know much about i-anything so if I have an iTunes account I didn't know that, I thought it was "apple ID" when I download stuff or buy stuff)

Yes, your Apple ID is associated with your iTunes account. It knows what apps you have purchased, so if you change devices, you don't have to buy them again and with iCloud it will even sync your data for you between devices. Having two users share an identity may cause problems.

You can have them on two devices and run them at the same time. I've had my iPhone and iPad open at the same time.

I have used the same FF account on two different ipads with different itunes accounts at the same time.

I have two iPads and Foreflight works simultaneously on both of them, on the same account. I give one to the back-seat passenger(s) to monitor our progress on the map. I use that, and all the other functions on mine. Both do the updates, haven't had any problem. Another good selling point for Foreflight, IMHO.

- oldman

IIRC FF says you may use your account on any and all devices YOU OWN.

It's installed on Angie's iPad to serve as a back up to mine if needed.

It can be installed on both devices, presuming that you "own" both of them in some sense of the term. Technically it can run on both simultaneously. Per the terms of the agreement, you can only run it on one at a time, or so I was led to believe by their support. The two devices do not need to be on the same iTunes account.

Leslie and I both have iPads, and they are on separate iTunes accounts. We both have ForeFlight with the same registered email address (which is separate from the iTunes account). We just make a point of never running them both at the same time. I also have an active subscription to WingX Pro, so that's not a problem.

Personally, I'd be having my students do all their planning and flying with old school AF/Ds and sectionals during private training. Instrument, OTOH, I encourage they get one.

http://www.foreflight.com/support/subscription#72

One iPad, one iPhone.

Those who are using two iPads are technically outside of Foreflight's licensing unless they've contacted team@foreflight.com and received permission to do so.

They're nice folks, and an e-mail would have bypassed this entire thread with quick answers back, often within a very short time. :)
And I have, thank you very much!:yes:

their response was that they were not to be used simultaneously, which I believe I stressed in my reply!;)

And I have, thank you very much!:yes:

their response was that they were not to be used simultaneously, which I believe I stressed in my reply!;)

Yes, but you have permission in writing stashed away in your e-mail. The OP does not. ;)

Three devices: One iPad, one iPhone, one iPod Touch.

The app can be used simultaneously on all three devices, assuming all three apps have been logged on to ForeFlight using the same account.

Nowhere in the FAQs does it say anything about not using the account at different locations. I assume that they have thought through the process of allowing three devices per account, and decided it wasn't worth the effort and potential bad will of their users to try to police users using the same account simultaneously at different places. As DenverPilot mentioned, ForeFlight could probably work out something for you, so that you could use the same subscription on two iPads [edit: or iPhones] at the same time, if you asked. link: http://www.foreflight.com/ipad/faqs/#31

If your boyfriend decides he doesn't need/want ForeFlight after he tries it, you can sign out of ForeFlight on his device, and then delete the app from his device. That will free up your ability to install/use the app on another device. link: http://www.foreflight.com/support/sign-out

Last edited:
I have it installed on both my iPad and iPhone. I don't recall issues with both devices running it at once.

For example, I'll use my iPad (3G model but no 3G service) for navigation, and use my iPhone for weather updates when I have a data signal.

http://www.foreflight.com/support/subscription#72

One iPad, one iPhone.

Those who are using two iPads are technically outside of Foreflight's licensing unless they've contacted team@foreflight.com and received permission to do so.

They're nice folks, and an e-mail would have bypassed this entire thread with quick answers back, often within a very short time. :)

Their goal is to respond to their tech support queries in ten minutes. Although it's been a long time since I posted any tech support questions with them, I don't recall them ever taking any longer than ten minutes. They have someone manning their virtual tech support desk 24/7.

Having spent 20 years in the HMI software industry working directly for the developing companies, I have experience providing tech support and running a tech support organization so I feel qualified to pass judgment on a tech support group. Foreflights Tech Support is second to none.

Back