ForeFlight to drop iPad 1, iPhone 3G, iOS 5 support

There was a calculated reason for forgetting that MMS was (and still is, btw) the defacto method of transmitting photographs between devices? Or choosing a radio that left data users 5 years or more behind their competitors or current feature set?

I don't buy it. It was lazy, and it was proof that Apple could hand down a pile of manure and still have people fawn over it. Again - there was nothing spectacular about the iPhone except the fruit on the back and the new touch screen that was more accurate.

That wasn't lazy, that was marketing genius because as soon as the iPhone2 came out with those features, everyone with an iPhone bought the next. Who else has pulled of 'planned obsolescence' in a one year cycle? Even car manufacturers can't pull it off on that scale.

Judging from this "discussion", the iPhone is to mobile communications market what the RV-series of airplanes is to the aircraft market. Or the iPhone is to Android what the Cirrus is to the RV-series of aircraft....

Judging from this "discussion", the iPhone is to mobile communications market what the RV-series of airplanes is to the aircraft market. Or the iPhone is to Android what the Cirrus is to the RV-series of aircraft....

I wouldn't dis on Android like that...:lol:

Even car manufacturers can't pull it off on that scale.
They used to pull it off and there was a time when "keeping up" meant at least one new car in the driveway every year. But eventually the average consumer figured out that scam. I suspect the same thing would happen with iWhatevers if the demographic was a little more mature and/or for the older end of that spectrum the price was a larger portion of their take home pay.

They used to pull it off and there was a time when "keeping up" meant at least one new car in the driveway every year. But eventually the average consumer figured out that scam.

when the Japanese car makers came along and offered a more reliable product with the desired features at a reasonable price.

Best as I can recall, there was no "Moore's Law" involved. Right now, for the most part, a low end processor/computer system can run circles around the ability to transmit the data across the internet (bandwidth limits). It remains to be seen if the government monitoring of data will chill the interest in the cloud - I suspect that higher prices from the ISPs will have a bigger impact (yes, I get that some folks are paying upwards of $100/month for phone/text/data with caps - seems like a lot to pay for Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube).

This specifically details exactly what I mean: these commercials somehow convinced people that each of these features were brand new.

Nobody thought the *features* were new - They weren't. What was new was being able to *use* those features much easier than ever before. Like I said, I had those features in my previous phone - But I didn't use them most of the time because it was such a pain in the ass.

You may be onto something - maybe Apple had no "marketing strategy" and instead, otherwise intelligent people went full retard and thought it was brand new, but I doubt the accuracy of your insinuation.

I've been an Apple-watcher for a long time, and Apple has traditionally had a truly inept marketing department. They've gotten a helluva lot better than they were in the 80's and 90's, but they're certainly not fooling anybody.

I guess my point is that Apple has made their huge fan base by creating great products, not using great marketing to sell inferior products. And when I say great products, I mean products that accomplish their users' goals easily and in an enjoyable fashion, not ones that check as many boxes as possible in a brochure.

You mean 10 years before the iPhone came out? Here's what phones were like right before the iPhone came out:

Thank you for making my point for me. A stylus? Are you kidding? Harder to use, easy to lose, adds at least two steps to any operation (pulling out and stowing the stylus), and for big guys like me, hurts your hand after holding it for a while. Yech!

And let's not forget what the old mobile web was like. Horrid.

And that tiny keyboard. The iPhone works great for those of us with fat fingers. Those mini-Chiclet keyboards, well, I'd have to use the damn stylus on the keyboard!

There was a calculated reason for forgetting that MMS was (and still is, btw) the defacto method of transmitting photographs between devices?

I don't know about that. I had never transmitted a pic via MMS before the iPhone either. I emailed 'em. And that worked just as well on the iPhone as it did on anything else, and allowed me to send them to anyone, not just the people I knew had an MMS-capable phone.

Or choosing a radio that left data users 5 years or more behind their competitors or current feature set?

I'm assuming you're talking about it using EDGE? Exactly like the phone you posted about? At the time the iPhone was introduced, 3G networks were very new and only available in large cities.

I don't buy it. It was lazy, and it was proof that Apple could hand down a pile of manure and still have people fawn over it. Again - there was nothing spectacular about the iPhone except the fruit on the back and the new touch screen that was more accurate.

And the UI. That made all the difference in the world. I laughed at all the companies hyping touchscreen phones after the iPhone came out. They completely missed the point, as you have - It wasn't the touchscreen, it was the UI!

You can't argue that what came before the iPhone was just as good - The iPhone changed the world of cell phones. The smartphone market expanded at an insane rate, and the iPhone and its offspring (Yeah, Android) took over the market. Between the two, they're well over 90%, and they've effectively killed off the previous #1 smartphone maker. Look at the state of things now vs. 6 years ago when the iPhone came out - It's a different world.

1. The camera is not as good as many of its lower priced competitors

Depends how you define "not as good." I'm guessing you'll go straight for megapixels. By that measure, the best smartphone is better than the best DSLR. But is that really true? No. Ask any photographer, and they'll tell you the glass is much more important. Apple has done some good things with their glass, and their flash, and their camera app. It doesn't have as many megapixels as that ridiculous one you see in the ads on TV, but it takes really stunning pictures... So much so that I rarely use my digital camera any more.

2. The screen is not as high resolution as many of its lower priced competitors

When you've got a retina display, it really doesn't matter any more. What's the use of cramming more pixels onto the screen if you can't even see them?

3. There will be some fatal flaw in the design that Apple will offer a work-around (or a smart-assed "You're holding it wrong"esque type of explanation).

That happened *once* and it wasn't exactly fatal. You had to have no case and you had to hold it *just so*. But I certainly won't make excuses for Steve's dickishness.

I got an email survey today from ForeFlight asking specific questions about the iPad 1. Perhaps they are taking this thread to heart.

This doesn't have to do with iPad 1's but IOS 7 is now out and readily avIlable for download. I did and found that there are a few problems with it and FF. Things seem to have smoothed out now that I have IOS 7 installed and then re- downloaded FF. If you don't have backup for your "documents" binders, it may be a real mess to get back to where you were with IOS 6. Even more so if you had substantial tailored geo-referenced instrument binder(s) data. The Support group at FF is helpful as always but they are not ready for the changes that IOS 7 brings. Be careful not to scrub your IOS 6 FF data and just get in touch with FF support to help. Anoher factor can be how large of a FF package you have downloaded and to which size of iPad. If you are a big time X-C user and have 40 states or so with lots of CL B's and sups, don't forget that your ISP is counting your data load. This is not a forecast of Armageddon but, just a recommendation for thinking ahead.

Dale

I'm having a slightly similar problem with Apple's iCloud software. Apparently they concluded that no one interested in their cloud computing service would be so behind the times that they actually are using a laptop with Windows Vista. Their "iCloud Control Panel" for Windows only supports Windows 7 and 8 and my wife's computer is a bit too slow for Win 7 (1.8GHz AMD Turion 64) and she won't be happy dealing with a new OS either nor am I all that thrilled about purchasing another Win 7 upgrade when Vista is working just fine.

Why can't Apple provide an alternative that works on older versions of Windows?

I got an email survey today from ForeFlight asking specific questions about the iPad 1. Perhaps they are taking this thread to heart.

I got that too...
What are your intentions re: iPad 1?
When do you plan to upgrade?
In about 6 questions.

I'm having a slightly similar problem with Apple's iCloud software. Apparently they concluded that no one interested in their cloud computing service would be so behind the times that they actually are using a laptop with Windows Vista. Their "iCloud Control Panel" for Windows only supports Windows 7 and 8

What does the "iCloud Control Panel" even do? I've never heard of it before. :dunno:

What does the "iCloud Control Panel" even do? I've never heard of it before. :dunno:
Good question. She wanted to enable some sort of photo sharing with our daughter via the Apple iCloud and I think the control panel was the only way to do that on a computer. I've never used it.

I bough an iPhone 5 because I was sick of carrier controlled cell phones. My prior phone was a Galaxy S2, which was at the time Samsung's top of the line. The S2 was a pretty good phone, but Sprint kept pushing down junk apps and refusing to release Android updates.

They even pushed a junk navigation app that broke the one thing that gives Android phones an undisputed advantage over iPhones - Google Maps.

When I looked for an LTE phone that was not carrier controlled there was only one, the iPhone.

I'll probably go back to Android since 'pure Google' Androids are more available now, and circumstances have me becoming an Android developer.

I have to say that by and large iOS and Apple hardware are first rate products.

I bough an iPhone 5 because I was sick of carrier controlled cell phones. My prior phone was a Galaxy S2, which was at the time Samsung's top of the line. The S2 was a pretty good phone, but Sprint kept pushing down junk apps and refusing to release Android updates.

They even pushed a junk navigation app that broke the one thing that gives Android phones an undisputed advantage over iPhones - Google Maps.

When I looked for an LTE phone that was not carrier controlled there was only one, the iPhone.

I'll probably go back to Android since 'pure Google' Androids are more available now, and circumstances have me becoming an Android developer.

I have to say that by and large iOS and Apple hardware are first rate products.

They all unlock. I got the Galaxy S4 the other day, I got the Metro PCS one because that model has the worldwide radio set in it, but I got it unlocked and use it on T-Mo. I could have got one with no ties, but the Wifi Calling for T-Mo only comes on certain models, and T-Mo bought Metro PCS.

Just up-dated my iPad 1 to 5.4, FF says its running 5.4.
Did the survey, told them I made a mistake, should have gone with a hand held, hardware would have been cheaper in the long run.
Next system will be android based.

You'd better understand how I feel if you did what I do for a living. I view their way of handling this as just plain lazy. I hate when people lazy their way out of developing software properly.

I understand how you can get frustrated by all this. Having worked much of my career for software companies in niche markets, I can assure you that it is impossible to please everyone. Deciding where to put your efforts and development dollars to satisfy the most number of customers involves much tougher decision making than you might think.

Foreflight is a small team of talented and dedicated developers, evidently pilots themselves, who are trying to get the most from their limited resources.

I'm not making excuses for them, I'm just trying to help people understand and walk around in their shoes a little bit. I'm as frustrated by the threat of having to upgrade hardware platforms as anyone else, but this is a quandry that software developers have been in since the invention of the UNIVAC. (I don't go back to the UNIVAC, but I do go back to the DEC PDP8 of the very early seventies.)

I'm coming into this debate way late, so pardon me if this point has already been made. The iPad 1 was a revolution when it came out, but by today's tablet standards it is bulky and underpowered (both in RAM and in CPU). You may (rightly) grumble about being compelled to upgrade, but the iPad Mini is a much better device in basically every dimension. You will not be disappointed, and the money will not be wasted.

Just up-dated my iPad 1 to 5.4, FF says its running 5.4.
Did the survey, told them I made a mistake, should have gone with a hand held, hardware would have been cheaper in the long run.
Next system will be android based.

Mine did that last night too.

Checked the FF blog, they decided to delay the abandonment of iPad 1.
The FF 5.4 features of drawing on your charts does not work on iPad 1, but it is v5.4.

The marketing strategy was giving/providing low cost Macs to schools in the 80s getting their brand established with an entire generation that was going to be spawning another generation soon.

They sold Apple II machines cheaply to schools then. Not Macs. The first Macs were prohibitively expensive.

Back