Foreflight timezone weirdness

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
So I'm filed for this morning from KMPV to KFME. KFME is Tipton field in MD. My ETD is 0900 GMT-4. According to Foreflight (Flights-->NavLog), my ETA is 0925 GMT-7.

WTF?? Why does it think KFME is in the Pacific time zone???

Or does it always default to Pacific TZ for the ETA? I don't have time right now to set up another flight to test this, but has anyone noticed this?

So I'm filed for this morning from KMPV to KFME. KFME is Tipton field in MD. My ETD is 0900 GMT-4. According to Foreflight (Flights-->NavLog), my ETA is 0925 GMT-7.

Or does it always default to Pacific TZ for the ETA? I don't have time right now to set up another flight to test this, but has anyone noticed this?

https://www.foreflight.com/support/gps/

Interesting, I always expected to see ETA in local time zone but then again, I have never flown across time zones with FF so I cannot confirm that it ever worked like that.
I'd send an email to FF, they are very good and responding.
Let us know what you learn, I am curious now!
(I can also try it later when I get home, I don't have my pad with me today)

Interesting. Does the same on my iPhone.

But if I do KHEF-KOKV (short trip west of DC SFRA), it shows the correct time zones

Oh, in the navlog, I see it now... yep, report that, maybe we'll see 9.1.4 by Friday ;)

Wilco... but later, right now I have to run to the hotel to check in at the conference...

Well, they (Kyle, specifically) said they see the same thing and thanked me for the pirep. Oddly, he asked me what account I use to log in to FF. Not sure why he's need that info if he was able to reproduce the problem. Obviously it's a bug, not an account (or a browser) problem.

Posting religious material is a violation of the RoC.

I never trust anything more automated than a mechanical watch to adjust time zones. I live between the Missouri River and the Little Missouri River. In my area, the latter is the time zone boundary. Many maps, including the one on time.gov, draw the boundary as the former instead. Many GPS-based clocks will adjust at the correct place, such as the one in one of my parents' cars, but many will not. I definitely do not trust my iPhone, which seems to trust the tower's time zone information rather than use the phone's actual location, and it is quite frequent to bounce between towers on either side of the line so your alarm clock goes off an hour late some days. Use Zulu time for flying. It's the only way.

Howls of derisive laughter. I've paid $30,000 for software and still had to endure bugs.
Meanwhile, NASA is chuckling at you. They definitely spent more than that on the software for each of the following missions: Mariner 1, Pathfinder, Mars Polar Lander, Mars Climate Orbiter, Mars Global Surveyor, and Spirit. (All of those were disabled or destroyed by software bugs.) And somewhere else, there is someone snickering at NASA for its puny bug problems. Software bugs are an unavoidable cost of software features. By having many users and a responsive technical support team, bugs can be quickly isolated and resolved, but the only way to avoid them entirely is to have no features in the first place.

Try using FF on an airliner - the arrival time is ALWAYS the wrong time zone - even if you have a good GPS fix and you have downloaded the proper state etc- it ALWAYS has the wrong timezone until you are in the time zone of arrival. I've bitched about this bug for a couple of years now - why can't they simply put a line in that all the computations stay in UTC and then get converted to where you are? With the destination arrival time in time zone for the airport?

Try using FF on an airliner - the arrival time is ALWAYS the wrong time zone - even if you have a good GPS fix and you have downloaded the proper state etc- it ALWAYS has the wrong timezone until you are in the time zone of arrival. I've bitched about this bug for a couple of years now - why can't they simply put a line in that all the computations stay in UTC and then get converted to where you are? With the destination arrival time in time zone for the airport?
I just had that same problem on a flight to Europe. It corrected itself as soon as I arrived, and took the phone out of airplane mode.

Well, they (Kyle, specifically) said they see the same thing and thanked me for the pirep. Oddly, he asked me what account I use to log in to FF. Not sure why he's need that info if he was able to reproduce the problem. Obviously it's a bug, not an account (or a browser) problem.

They ask that question when the email you reported the issue is not the same as the one used by your ForeFlight account. The support folk can lookup your account and see information that is relevant to analyzing the issue, for example the latest version you have downloaded to your iPad/iPhone.

One can select a setting at More>Settings>Units/Time>Show Local Times. With it off, you get a 24 hour GMT clock.

One can select a setting at More>Settings>Units/Time>Show Local Times. With it off, you get a 24 hour GMT clock.
Yes, and that setting on my iPad is ON. I was not getting a GMT clock, I was getting EDT for the departure field and PDT for a destination within the Eastern TZ.

Yes, and that setting on my iPad is ON. I was not getting a GMT clock, I was getting EDT for the departure field and PDT for a destination within the Eastern TZ.
There is another place where I have noticed ForeFlight disregards the user's settings in units and time, which is that it shows the coordinates of user waypoints in decimal degrees of latitude and longitude regardless of the coordinates system that is selected. It definitely sounds like you've identified a bug in that regard in addition to the bug of picking the wrong time zone for your destination.

The setting needs to be off to get GMT and 24 hour time. With it on, you should get local time of the departure airport location, but there is a known bug with this.

I have my IPad set to GMT by using Reykavik Iceland as its time zone. Reykavik is
Another thing you can do is set the Ipad to GMT. Reykjavik Iceland as the time zone will do this. It's on Zulu time and they don't do daylight savings time

At $199 there should be no bugs.

When you break it down to $16.50 a month, expect bugs. People spend more on Starbucks a month. In the world of aviation that cost monthly is nothing.

When you break it down to $16.50 a month, expect bugs. People spend more on Starbucks a month. In the world of aviation that cost monthly is nothing.

Like FF, Starbucks is a premium product. Do people spending $16.50 a month at Starbucks expect or accept bugs in their coffee? If you accept poor quality, you are rarely disappointed.

Last edited:
Like FF, Starbucks is a premium product. Do people spending $16.50 a month at Starbucks expect or accept bugs in their coffee? If you accept poor quality, you are rarely disappointed.

I have been to Starbucks many times and manage to mess up the order. My point is people shouldn't complain when $16 a month is nothing compared to what people spend on other things that are usually way more than $16 a month. Cable, internet, cell phone, etc. My cell phone has had bad service, dropped calls. My cable has blacked out in the middle of a show, My internet has cut or seriously degraded. I spend way more a month on just one of those things.

Back