Foreflight + Stratus (ADS-B WX)

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
Well, it finally arrived. A battery powered ADS-B receiver that feeds foreflight with free wx information (where coverage exists).

http://www.foreflight.com/stratus

The $799 unit includes an 8 hour battery and a WASS GPS unit. It will feed that GPS data directly into Foreflight along with the ADS-B weather information.

This is the list of information that is available through the ADS-B weather stream.

• CONUS NEXRAD
  • regional high-resolution NEXRAD
  • METARs
  • TAFs
  • TFRs
  • AIRMETs
  • SIGMETs
  • NOTAMs
  • pilot reports
  • winds/temperature aloft

Coverage map (approximate as of 2/2012)

stratus-coverage.png

I hope it will get cheaper, or inspire other companies to make one cheaper. Seems cool.

XM weather subscription is $57 a month ... the $800 will pay for itself

That said, $800 is a hefty price for a radio receiver, bluetooth connect and GPS chip. Not exactly expensive hardware...

Last edited:
XM weather subscription is $57 a month ... the $800 will pay for itself

I recently started using Foreflight with rather spotty GPS reception. I wonder If I'd be better off canceling the XM for my 560 and getting this instead? Also, would I be able to use the Stratus instead of the Bad Elf I was planning on getting for the GPS reception problem?

And... a big fat hole in coverage where I fly.

Looks like FAA Rocky Mountain Region is waaaay behind, eh? :)

Will it connect with a windows based unit?

I recently started using Foreflight with rather spotty GPS reception. I wonder If I'd be better off canceling the XM for my 560 and getting this instead? Also, would I be able to use the Stratus instead of the Bad Elf I was planning on getting for the GPS reception problem?

If you fly in areas that are covered, i'd say go for it. The coverage is only going to improve. I have been happy with the XM on my 510 but the $60 a month kinda sucks, and I think that viewing the weather in foreflight is going to be much better than on the small screen of your GPS.

Yes, you can use the GPS in the Stratus to replace a bad elf. So for you it would only cost $699 :)

I recently started using Foreflight with rather spotty GPS reception.

Which model ipad gives spotty gps reception?? Mine has been like a rock anywhere I've been. (Ipad2)

Yes, you can use the GPS in the Stratus to replace a bad elf. So for you it would only cost $699 :)

Cool, thanks!!

I have an Ipad 2 and mostly travel along the gulf coast. Some days are better than others, but I still lose reception regularly. I do keep my Ipad in an Otter Box case...I'll try taking it out next time, but I wouldn't think it makes a difference.:dunno:

That coverage map means that the trip down to Gaston's would be pretty much without coverage. :(

*chuckle* Troy, sometimes you remind me of Ralphie from Florida with your love of aviation gadgets.

If it had ADS-B traffic, I'd consider it... but it doesn't. :( OK, I might still consider it.

Heh. You like the toys. Me too.

Unfortunately I didn't even notice they left off traffic. Why'd they do that?! Sigh.

This updated graphic...

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...lance_broadcast/coverage/media/coverage01.png

Do you read it the same way I do? Do we now have nationwide coverage above 5000', and pretty extensive coverage at 1800' AGL?

No. I think you're reading it backwards.

If you look at the tower sites in Colorado, they're down in the valleys. Not on top of the mountains. Probably a very difficult nut to simulcast high transmitters where the aircraft might be closer to any of three or four of them, than the others. I'm dealing with a similar design problem right now, actually.

So they're showing red areas right over the tops of the mountain ridges, meaning the angle from the tower site to the aircraft is blocked if you're on the other side of the ridge.

Apparently you have to be at 5100' (and I'm assuming that's AGL... most RF coverage maps at altitude are based on distance from antenna, which is an AGL measurement, not an MSL measurement) to receive the signal from the tower on the other side.

Note the yellow coverage "hole" in south-central Colorado where there's no tower site -- that's 18,000' AGL I assume, not MSL... you have to be way up high to hear those towers in the other two valleys.

They don't say on AGL vs. MSL, and you'd think an agency like FAA would have noticed that proofreading a chart like that one, but they missed it... so that's a problem with the chart in general. It's not clear.

Side-note: I'm getting a real kick out of the plots around the islands. Those lovely half-semicircles that just stop in a perfect line... RF on any modern antenna doesn't quite play that way. More like a "bulge" on directional antennas, which is what I assume they're trying to depict there.

Kinda funny. The model for the RF coverage plot is a little wonky. But for a "general" map like this one, okay.

But... if they forgot that... they probably didn't account for multi-path or bounces in the Rockies... digital stuff doesn't like those phase changes much.

By the way, the coverage map on the Foreflight page is current as of a month ago.

Troy, which map did you pull? Is that the 978 MHz ADS-B or the plot of all coverage including the 1.090 GHz radar-frequency stuff? I went digging through the site it came from and it really isn't clear what that's a map of.

This map (interactive, Flash... ugh... crap... and HUGE to download the initial data for it)...

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/flashmap/

Shows virtually no transmitters in Colorado.

Thanks, Grant, I eventually figured that out, but wasn't where I could get back here to post.

Coverage map (approximate as of 2/2012)

stratus-coverage.png

Digging around a bit...that map may be missing the WAM in Colorado. All the documents mention ADS-B as part of the WAM (or co-located) but doesn't mention if it's ADS-B in or out or both. Guess I'll find out since I ordered the receiver.

Digging around a bit...that map may be missing the WAM in Colorado. All the documents mention ADS-B as part of the WAM (or co-located) but doesn't mention if it's ADS-B in or out or both. Guess I'll find out since I ordered the receiver.

WAM is neither ADS-B In or Out.

It's a ground-based system that has one central transmitter that's omnidirectional that sends out the same pulse as a "passing" RADAR beam that triggers all aircraft transponders within range of that "interrogation" to reply. (Similar but not equal to the military IFF system, just as a poor but maybe easy for some to understand example.)

Those replies are received by multiple ground stations who's locations are very well known mathematically.

The millisecond differentials in timing of when the transponder reply is received at each site is recorded down to very small fractions of a second. (Might be smaller than milliseconds, don't know.)

By doing that and then transmitting that time-stamped result from a number of ground receivers back to a central computer, mathematical triangulation of the location of each airborne transponder is accomplished. Instant "RADAR" picture without the expense of a real RADAR.

This negated the need to install a new RADAR installation in the mountains and instead allowed a much simpler to maintain ground station network similar to tiny cell sites -- in RF and site complexity -- to be installed for the ability to see all transponder-equipped targets in the mountain valley at KASE much much cheaper than a RADAR installation.

Because it needs the responses from transponders, it can only see transponder equipped and operating aircraft. So called "secondary" targets only.

No primary "the RADAR bounced off of something and reflected back" targets.

A friend manages the sites they installed many of the systems on. It's pretty much a small NEMA rated box and a couple of vertical antennas and a GPS antenna to accurately sync/discipline what I would assume are Rubidium clocks for the accuracy level involved.

The sites also have decent dedicated data connectivity to somewhere. He wasn't sure whether the computer heavy lifting is done at the transmitter site or back at a data center at ZDV.

There's computer gear installed at the TX site, but it's not exactly labeled "here's where the magic happens" sitting there in the rack. ;)

I have good photos of some of the receiver sites somewhere. NEMA box, a couple antennas. Some are even pole-mounted. They're that small.

But AFAIK, they're NOT capable of ADS-B In or Out to a 978 MHz receiver.

Whether they can relay information via the Mode-S style ADS-B through the "RADAR" simulation pulse, I'm not sure. But I doubt it.

I think it was designed in Europe and integration to anything that ADS-B normally feeds out is quite unlikely, just as a "systems guy" guess. Sites up there are also going to be quite network-bandwidth limited.

Knowing that Rocky Mountain seems quite "behind the power curve" on deployment, I also noticed a significant uptick in Federal work vehicles of the type usually assigned to crews that have to do mountaintop and other "dirt road" type equipment installations, massing lately at the old FSS building and tower site at KAPA lately. They look busy with some big project. Or getting ready for one. Staging area perhaps.

Haven't seen that many vehicles there since it was open as a FSS pre-LockMart days. Most are locked in the back gated area beside the building but a few work trucks coming and going in the main parking lot.

There's still a lot of FAA RF infrastructure for the RCOs for Denver AFSS on that tower as well as a number of remote receivers and transmitters for DEN TRACON, so the activity there may only be MX and/or upgrades to that gear and not related to ADS-B. Impossible to say.

I hope you don't have a useless brick for a while.

The good news is, at least FAA has a real budget now. That's better than no budget and this stuff getting put off while waiting for Congress to write the checks.

There are also some mountaintop RCOs that are flaky (Badger Mountain comes to mind. It sounds like antenna damage to me...) and at least a couple State of Colorado mountain AWOSs down or giving wacky wind data.

It's coming up on the traditional "let's get started fixing the almost inaccessible stuff on top of mountains" season for the area's radio techs. I suspect stuff will start popping back to life and/or sounding better here shortly.

But... the State is a lot more broke right now than the Feds, and the Feds refuse to operate those mountain AWOS stations or take any responsibility for them... so we'll see. State also lost the driving head of the Aeronautical Division last year. Haven't heard how effective the new head cheese is from anyone yet.

Lots of that stuff is co-located at the State Public Safety radio sites and the techs usually need either a major outage of something related to the Statewide 800 MHz P-25 "DTRS" system or a decent list of other maintenance to do before a sure fire site visit takes place.

I have a project that's going to need a bunch of visits all over the place this year. If I see FAA gear getting' installed, I'll let ya know.

My first trip will probably be out to the exciting town of Nucla this year. Getting reports of something dead and other reports it died in a lightning strike last fall. Have antenna and hard-line, will travel!

Kinda getting jazzed for "radio maintenance season". The view from some of the sites is awesome.

I just wanted to let people know the Sagetech Clairty ADS-B Receiver will offer an alternative to Stratus. Full disclosure, I work at Sagetech, a company that’s been delivering aviation product for the UAS (drone) community for over a decade.

Clarity development is in its final stages, and our website isn’t even up yet (look for it in June). Still I thought I’d post just to let you all know about Clarity, which is comparable to Stratus, except Clarity is much smaller. Here’s a link to a preliminary web page http://sagetechcorp.com/clarity

The Sagetech Clarity ADS-B Receiver will be offered in three variants:

Clarity Base is pretty much equivalent to the Stratus (978MHz ADS-B Receiver, WAAS GPS, WiFi connection to the iPad), except it a much smaller and convenient unit, and it has longer battery life. Also, whereas the Stratus and other receivers don’t offer TIS-B traffic data, the Clarity will pass along whatever traffic it receives. There are some important subtleties about this though-read on.

Clarity Plus is a dual channel ADS-B receiver, WAAS GPS, WiFi to the iPad 9hrs battery life. Essentially, it adds a 1090MHz TIS-B traffic receiver to the baseline unit.

Clarity SV has all these feature (dual ADS-B receiver, WAAS GPS, WiFi, mondo battery) and also has AHRS for use with Synthetic Vision. WingX EFB software has Synthetic vision already.

Mechanically, Clarity has a simple power button and like Stratus, Clarity’s antennas are all internal to the unit. But Clarity is much smaller and takes up much less dash space. It is also very carefully designed and although it’s not TSO’d, it does meet applicable TSO MOPS (minimum operational requirements).
Pricing will be less than Stratus for the comparable base unit. We haven’t set final pricing so we can’t post that info yet.

Clarity is compatible with windows and android based tablet computers as well as iPad, and won’t be exclusive to one EFB package like Stratus is. We are working with several EFB software providers and expect wide acceptance.

One difference is that Clarity will pass along traffic reports received from FAA ground stations, or received directly from aircraft broadcasting ADS-B out using a 978MHz UAT, or 1090MHz Mode S transponder (Plus and SV dual channel models). Appareo Status and NavWorkPads don’t pass along traffic, Clarity and SkyRadar do. This is important if you’re flying an airplane equipped with an ADS-B out transponder which will be a requirement by the year 2020.

But it is very important to note that traffic isn’t transmitted by default by the FAA ADS-B rebroadcast ground stations so for the most part traffic won’t be very useful unless you’re squawking ADS-B out. Maybe that’s why Stratus just says no to TIS-B traffic data and avoids any confusion. At any rate, Clarity gives you the data it receives without filtering out traffic.

Here are some pics of a Sagetech Clarity prototype I took at Sun n Fun next to the Stratus and Pads receivers:

KqnKb.jpg

Dqx7W.jpg

'Checked with the company... the coverage description is confusing, but the bottom line is you'll need an external antenna for any realistic use of the product. The tiny, dark blue, dot is the coverage using the built-in antenna. The light blue area is coverage with the external antenna.

Unless you're at an ADS-B airport, it won't work on the ground, either, so there's no getting updates before takeoff. And the external antenna is a big issue for me, since I carry my unit to other airplanes. I'll stick with satellite-based data for now, thanks, even if it costs more.

Unless you're at an ADS-B airport, it won't work on the ground, either, so there's no getting updates before takeoff. I'll stick with satellite-based data for now, thanks, even if it costs more.
True, but on the ground you're likely to be able to get weather via the Internet, via either WiFi or Cellular. Definitely something to be cognizant of, however.

'Checked with the company... the coverage description is confusing, but the bottom line is you'll need an external antenna for any realistic use of the product. The tiny, dark blue, dot is the coverage using the built-in antenna. The light blue area is coverage with the external antenna.

Well that sucks, so much for use in the rental.

External antenna is "portable"... with cable and suction cups for inside mounting... not so bad, but a mandatory extra $60.

I just wanted to let people know the Sagetech Clairty ADS-B Receiver will offer an alternative to Stratus. Full disclosure, I work at Sagetech, a company that’s been delivering aviation product for the UAS (drone) community for over a decade.

<SNIP> (See post above for full text)

FYI for everybody that was wondering about traffic support on the Stratus. This post was in moderation and I didn't see it the first time around. Many of you might be interested in seeing this alternative.

Last edited:
FYI for everybody that was wondering about traffic support on the Stratus. This post was in moderation and I didn't see it the first time around. Many of you might be interested in seeing this alternative.

Since when you guys mark it as released from moderation it drops into the timeline on the day/time of the original post, I had to refresh Tapatalk and go back a page. Just FYI. No biggie. Just interesting.

That thing is tiny. Definitely looks like the way to go if it adds TIS.

Maybe it'll hit the market when Rocky Mountain Region FAA gets coverage up and running here. That'd b nice timing. ;)

Since when you guys mark it as released from moderation it drops into the timeline on the day/time of the original post, I had to refresh Tapatalk and go back a page. Just FYI. No biggie. Just interesting.

That thing is tiny. Definitely looks like the way to go if it adds TIS.

Maybe it'll hit the market when Rocky Mountain Region FAA gets coverage up and running here. That'd b nice timing. ;)

Yeah. Which is why I pointed it out. Didn't want it to get lost.

Quick fact check on Stratus--you do not need an external antenna in most cases. The blue dots on that map are station locations. The lighter blue area shows coverage at about 1500' AGL. I've flown from FL to OH with Stratus and never used the external antenna.

Direct experience trumps hearsay, But- Because of the confusing coverage map, and their odd description, I called and emailed the company. Here is their response, from their own email - "the solid blue color (you can't see through the circle) represents the expected Stratus reception area at 1500FT AGL from an ADS-B tower when you're using only the Stratus internal antenna. The transparent blue color surrounding the solid blue color represents the expected Stratus reception area from an ADS-B tower when you're using a Stratus external antenna."
I'm guessing things get better as you go higher?

Last edited:
Tim -

I’m sorry that we were not clear when you contacted us. Our descriptions were confusing so I’ve updated them in our latest coverage map www.appareo.com/stratus and made sure that our support folks are fully spun-up on coverage issues.

The good news is that coverage is much better than we led you to believe.
ADS-B_Coverage_Map_Vector_4_050112-01-475x297.png

On the new map, the black dots indicate approximate location for the ADS-B towers themselves. The blue areas surrounding each tower show the approximate coverage area where Stratus should receive ADS-B messages using just the internal antenna when flying at altitudes above 1500 AGL. If you're flying in areas where blue and gray meet, we suggest using an external antenna. If you’re flying in gray areas well away from the blue, Stratus will likely not receive an ADS-B signal.

Hope this helps -
John Pedersen
Appareo

Is the traffic issue with Stratus a software or hardware one? Might they at some point in the future do a firmware update to include traffic?

The Sagetech device looks like what I have been waiting for, not only for supporting ADS-B and GPS but also AHRS as well. I'm hoping the Android software developers are going to support this device so we can get a single unit that provides all of this information. If the ADS-B traffic situation were better, this would be like pilot nirvana.

this would be like pilot nirvana.

no kidding!

really makes the life of a renter, freight dog, or whatever much easier. After trying several configurations (no ipad, ipad in lap, forget ipad at home and dig out paper charts + actually use kneeboard I leave in the plane) I have found that the ipad strapped to the knee with kneedock is the easiest solution.

Actually, i'd like to use Garmin Pilot software. But the lack of a scratchpad function is keeping me with foreflight. I had trouble at first but i've gotten used to copying clearances on the scratchpad and now the ipad strapped to knee is all I need to fly. just gotta remember to charge that battery (which has always outlasted me, even on very long days)

Last edited:
So how is Sagetech handling the need for ADS-B Out to trigger nearby traffic analysis and broadcast by the system? Are they using real TIS or the ADS-B traffic data?

Foreflight has a pretty good blog post up about this and why they're not doing traffic.

http://blog.foreflight.com/2012/04/01/pings-pucks-and-why-no-traffic-on-stratus/

I guess it can be argued both ways... passively display any traffic you "know" about from other's ADS-B Out triggers, fully knowing two non-ADS-B aircraft away from others won't "see" each other at all, or don't play.

This has led me to want to research a question... Is the TIS data today triggered in the same way ADS-B traffic is?

So how is Sagetech handling the need for ADS-B Out to trigger nearby traffic analysis and broadcast by the system? Are they using real TIS or the ADS-B traffic data?

It's probably up to the software developers if they want to include a traffic overlay or not. I'm under the impression that they include the traffic data from ADS-B in the stream to the Android/iPad as it comes from the ground station. They seem to be up-front about the fact that this isn't going to be very helpful unless you have ADS-B out equipment in your plane.

I have some clients who have this in their A36 Bonanza (it only stays in the one plane rather than moving). Most of their flying is in the Northeast, and they have been thrilled with the unit.

I didn't realize that the ADS-B coverage still had such large gaps. That makes sense, but until they get the rest of the country filled in, it be that useful for those of us who travel all over.

Foreflight has a pretty good blog post up about this and why they're not doing traffic.

http://blog.foreflight.com/2012/04/01/pings-pucks-and-why-no-traffic-on-stratus/

I guess it can be argued both ways... passively display any traffic you "know" about from other's ADS-B Out triggers, fully knowing two non-ADS-B aircraft away from others won't "see" each other at all, or don't play.

This has led me to want to research a question... Is the TIS data today triggered in the same way ADS-B traffic is?

In particular this makes we wonder why the ADS-B ground station cannot transmit a "puck of traffic" around every mode C or mode S radar return. My first thought was bandwidth overload, but once they make ADS-B out mandatory, that's what they'll have to do anyway. It seems like so little extra work to make this immensely useful.

Only the government could take a clean-sheet approach to the future of ATC, and come up with the mess that is ADS-B. 1090ES & 978UAT or whatever the mish-mash is? get some info on one, but not the other, various and sundry other limitations, blah blah blah??

How on earth did this get past the initial proposal phase? And what the hell is an extended squitter, anyway? Sounds like something you need to succeed in pornography.

At any rate, TIS-B through the Sagetech device will provide pretty limited benefit thanks to the design of the ADS-B system. The onboard AHARS is a nice feature, though, as is the unit size.

At these prices, the devices are a slam-dunk IMHO. In under 2 yrs you'll recoup the costs by not subscribing to XM. Now, if XM cuts prices, or if Uncle Sugar starts charging for FIS-B data (and I can't believe that's not coming) then the business case gets more interesting.

I don't use my onboard WX on the ground. It usually takes a few minutes to download everything, so having to climb to 1800agl, or 5000agl, (or 18000!) to get the wx is no big deal. As someone else said, that's what I use a computer on the ground for.

(BTW - I love ForeFlight. Great app. Great design. Great execution. I'm thinking of dumping my XM sub and getting one of these here fancy devices instead.)

Back