Foreflight on Iphone

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
As if there are not enough threads about Foreflight and IP***s

I am getting my IPAD Tuesday. I thought I would load Foreflight on my IPHONE 3G just to get aquainted, but I can't find it through the APP store. They have several free and $9.99 foreflight apps, but not the big, bad everything foreflight.

Is this because it is not availalbe for the Iphone 3G? My wife has a 3GS. I may try that later.

Also, I know you are limited to running FF on ONE IPAD and ONE IPHONE simultaneously. But can I still load it on more devices (eg: 2 iphones and 2 ipads) but only run it simultaneously on two devices?

Am I correct thinking that I cannot run it on two IPADS simultaneously? I suspect that when my wife sees it in the air, she is going to want one for herself too and will try to take over mine.

As if there are not enough threads about Foreflight and IP***s

I am getting my IPAD Tuesday. I thought I would load Foreflight on my IPHONE 3G just to get aquainted, but I can't find it through the APP store. They have several free and $9.99 foreflight apps, but not the big, bad everything foreflight.

You can get it here: http://bit.ly/8S1nNh. But you are right according to their website it is no longer functional on a 3G (in contrast to a 3Gs or 4) iPhone.

Also, I know you are limited to running FF on ONE IPAD and ONE IPHONE simultaneously. But can I still load it on more devices (eg: 2 iphones and 2 ipads) but only run it simultaneously on two devices?

Am I correct thinking that I cannot run it on two IPADS simultaneously? I suspect that when my wife sees it in the air, she is going to want one for herself too and will try to take over mine.

You can run it on as many devices simultaneously as you want. Just buy multiple subscriptions ;) But on one subscription you can only run it on one iPhone and one iPad at a time. This is a bone they throw to people like me who own one of each and wanted to continue to use the iPhone as a backup. As to whether you can log out on one device and onto another to have it potentially usable on multiple at different times, not sure.

Last edited:
OK, stupid me figured out why I couldn't find Foreflight in the APP store. I was looking for something that cost about $80 or $150, but the download is FREE. You have to pay for the subscription separately.

I think I will be happier with it when I get it on my IPAD next week. I played with it on the IPhone today. Occasionally, the VFR chart disappears and all I see is a map. And I couldn't figure out how to show geo-referenced airport diagrams or approach charts. I guess I can try to RTFM now.

JohnH, you need additional subscription to get geo-referenced taxi diagrams and approach charts. It is not included in the basic FF subscription. If you want geo-referenced diagrams you have to buy FF HD Pro subscription for $149.99

I did buy the 149.99 package. I was wondering if those features are not available on the Iphone due to it's smaller size. But as I said, I still need to read the manual.

Probably due to the CPU in the 3G being way too underpowered and slow for heavy duty moving-map/graphics work.

Especially under iOS 4 which really made the older devices cough and wheeze under the processing and memory requirement loads.

3GS probably isn't a stellar performer running FF either, but it does it.

I did buy the 149.99 package. I was wondering if those features are not available on the Iphone due to it's smaller size. But as I said, I still need to read the manual.

From the FAQ:

I bought ForeFlight Pro but geo-referencing isn't showing up.

Follow these troubleshooting tips:

Go into 'Accounts' and confirm that your plan reads 'ForeFlight Pro'. If not, wait 10 seconds for the plan to download to your device. If it still doesn't show up, try signing out of your account and then signing back in.

Go to the 'About' screen, located in the 'More' tab on the iPad and in the 'About' icon on the iPhone. At the top of the screen is the version number - make sure it reads 3.9 or higher. If it reads 3.8 or lower, you'll need to update the app from the App Store.

Go to 'Downloads' and make sure you have downloaded the latest version of the Airport Database and Terminal Procedures.

Make sure you are viewing a plate or diagram that has geo-referencing. Geo-referencing is not available on arrivals, departures, text documents, and airports outside of the United States.

It works for sure on the iPhone 3Gs and 4. Not sure about the 3G. As a matter of fact the Foreflight web page doesn't claim support for any version of Foreflight on the older 3G model though I know it works at least partially.

System Requirements

You need one of the following to run ForeFlight Mobile 4:
Apple iPhone, Firmware Version 4.0 or later - iPhone 3GS or newer
Apple iPod touch, Firmware version 4.0 or later - iPod touch 3G or newer
Apple iPad, Firmware version 4.0 or later (any iPad) - iPad 2 3G recommended

Back