ForeFlight Keyboard

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Many versions ago, FF did something nifty to the slide up iPad keyboard where it added the number row above the normal qwerty row. And I found that change very useful.

Now with recent versions to FF, iOS, or the combination, that keyboard function isn't shown to me. What I see is the typical iOS 11 keyboard.

Anyone know how to switch the added numbers back on?

@flyingcheesehead? @CodeMonkey?

Many versions ago, FF did something nifty to the slide up iPad keyboard where it added the number row above the normal qwerty row. And I found that change very useful.

Now with recent versions to FF, iOS, or the combination, that keyboard function isn't shown to me. What I see is the typical iOS 11 keyboard.

Yes! I mean, I agree, not that there's a switch anywhere. That keyboard was very useful. I think it likely went missing while my plane was down for its annual and avionics upgrade over the winter and I wasn't flying much or I'd have noticed it right away.

I filed a bug report for it.

I do not believe you can bring the top numeric row back. They removed it because they had problems combining the default crApple keyboard with theirs. It was an implementation decision. There were bugs so they fixed them by reverting to the default OS feature.
I agree the feature was useful but the bugs bugged the heck outta me. :)

Aghh! Just noticed that. I’m going to email them and complain

Gah.. I was just using Foreflight today, and noticed what a pain the keyboard was now without the number row on top. I really miss that feature.

I think FF eliminated the extra row when Apple introduced the "pull down" keyboard. You can now type a number by swiping down on the letter it's above. Drives me crazy because I frequently and accidentally slide down instead of hitting a letter squarely so I'll get a number or symbol instead of the intended letter and/or I hit t and h faster than it can process and it thinks I just swiped down on the t so I get a 5 instead of a "th".

I wish the "pull down" feature could be shut off. I've looked, haven't found that option. Edit: Oh, yes I just did, there's an "enable key flicks" switch in the keyboard settings, I just shut it off.

I am utterly confoozed now. I opened my FF last night after a long hiatus (too friggin' hot down here in TX to fly) and saw the numeric row on top of the crApple keyboard.
So it is still there. With the old bugs. *shrug*
And I am sure I have the newest FF. (cuz it's slower than all the previous versions)

This small BT Keyboard is available for less than $15.00 and is compatible with multiple devices (including game consoles). Might be an easy solution to have in our flight bags.

http://a.co/bzxvAV4

Bluetooth keyboard.jpg

If you open the flight plan dialog and touch within to enter, vs the single line entry, the full keyboard will open.

I do not believe you can bring the top numeric row back. They removed it because they had problems combining the default crApple keyboard with theirs. It was an implementation decision. There were bugs so they fixed them by reverting to the default OS feature.
I agree the feature was useful but the bugs bugged the heck outta me. :)

What bugs were there? I never noticed any that I can remember.

Gah.. I was just using Foreflight today, and noticed what a pain the keyboard was now without the number row on top. I really miss that feature.

Me too!

I think FF eliminated the extra row when Apple introduced the "pull down" keyboard. You can now type a number by swiping down on the letter it's above. Drives me crazy because I frequently and accidentally slide down instead of hitting a letter squarely so I'll get a number or symbol instead of the intended letter and/or I hit t and h faster than it can process and it thinks I just swiped down on the t so I get a 5 instead of a "th".

I wish the "pull down" feature could be shut off. I've looked, haven't found that option. Edit: Oh, yes I just did, there's an "enable key flicks" switch in the keyboard settings, I just shut it off.

I think that's iOS 11 only, unfortunately, meaning that those of us who haven't upgraded in hopes of making aging hardware last a bit longer are stuck.

If you open the flight plan dialog and touch within to enter, vs the single line entry, the full keyboard will open.

What do you mean by "flight plan dialog"? I tried to enter things a few different ways, and I never got the keyboard with the numbers.

What do you mean by "flight plan dialog"? I tried to enter things a few different ways, and I never got the keyboard with the numbers.

Well... I can no longer get that to work. Maybe I did it on my iPad, which is too old to run the latest version of FF.

Back