Foreflight Failure In Flight

I know, I know, I even got a video from them (for the one in the 150). Haven't watched it yet, looks super lame and boring.

Grab a 6 pack of Jolt cola snort a couple of Vivarins and have at it... It really only takes about 20 minutes 3 times to learn most of the 430/530 stuff.

Pushing the button on the front (home button) won't bring the application back, but it will stop the application icons from wiggling with the "x." At that point, you can tap on the application icon to bring it back.

I've had ForeFlight crash very rarely, but in every case I have been able to bring it back within a few seconds. Never needed a reboot of the iPad.

By the way, to my knowledge, the only way to get to the "wiggling icon" screen is to tap and hold an application icon. A crashed application will not put you there.

JKG

Thanks J! That makes sense. I'll mess it with it and try to be better prepared if it ever happens again.

On my recent cross country I had a sectional, a TAC, an iPad, a panel GPS, the passenger had his aviation GPS handheld, and both our phones have GPS. Didn't look at anything (just flew the coast) until I glanced at the iPad wondering when to turn inland for my destination. Once I turned inland I simply looked for the airport. Going home, I got a heading before takeoff, planned an altitude higher since it was night, and just got up to 5500, flew roughly that heading give or take a 10 degrees, then flew home. So I had lots of tools on board, referenece iPad, but had others at the ready. And I made an appointment to learn how to use the darned panel Garmin. I really should learn, geez.

Kim,

If it's like a 430, it doesn't look difficult to learn. I saw a bit of a demonstration on it. If I had an extra $10K lying around gathering dust, Miss Piggy would have a 430 in the panel by the end of the week.

To be safe, when quitting an application you see a red Do Not Enter symbol on the top corner, and the app displays in a tray. When uninstalling an application, it is a black x icon. Mixing those up during flight could be troublesome.

Kim,

If it's like a 430, it doesn't look difficult to learn. I saw a bit of a demonstration on it. If I had an extra $10K lying around gathering dust, Miss Piggy would have a 430 in the panel by the end of the week.

Let me look at the site to see what it is....

N1596E 1980 Cessna 172N​
  • Garmin 430
  • King KX 155 Nav/Com
  • King KLN 89B GPS
  • King KT76A Transponder
  • Cessna ARC 300 ADF
  • King KMA 24 Audio Panel
  • 4 Place Intercom
  • Digital Fuel Flow Computer
  • Digital Engine Analyzer
  • Digital Tachometer
  • 180 HP Engine
  • Long Range Fuel

I know a lot of folks depending on their I-Pad now. Most have a Garmin or other unit in addition. I have two Garmins and a GTW200 in the KA. I still print the DP STAR and approach so I can have them handy. But, enroute and if I get redirected, I-Pad is it.

Question.

Is there a manner in which to bring up Terminal Area Charts? I see I download them, but haven't found a manner it which I can specifically look at that chart. Many things are cleared on there than the VFR or IFR chart for that area.

Best,

Dave

I know a lot of folks depending on their I-Pad now. Most have a Garmin or other unit in addition. I have two Garmins and a GTW200 in the KA. I still print the DP STAR and approach so I can have them handy. But, enroute and if I get redirected, I-Pad is it.

Question.

Is there a manner in which to bring up Terminal Area Charts? I see I download them, but haven't found a manner it which I can specifically look at that chart. Many things are cleared on there than the VFR or IFR chart for that area.

Best,

Dave

For the TAC on mine I just see a white line outlining it. Then the levels of zoom increase, and that's about it. I know what you mean, doesn't seem like a TAC since the paper one has that stuff on the back.

Question.

Best,

Dave

From the Foreflight pilot's guide...

U.S. VFR Sectional - Terminal Area Charts (TACs) are automatically displayed when a VFR sectional is zoomed in to major cities containing a TAC inset.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but they just don't look like or have the clear depictions of the terminal chart.

Dave

It's all "stitched" together. If you keep zooming into an area covered by a TAC you see the changeover happen at some level of zoom.

I've always wanted a way to choose the layer that was showing. Stuff at edges gets cut off sometimes.

With Denver and Colorado Springs having both the Denver TAC and the "combined" DEN and COS TAC, zooming in, you're never quite sure which chart you're looking at.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but they just don't look like or have the clear depictions of the terminal chart.

Dave

Plus I don't find the backside info which typically gives all the VFR class B routes they use. which is why I still get paper TACs.

Plus I don't find the backside info which typically gives all the VFR class B routes they use. which is why I still get paper TACs.

Yes, and for a rookie like myself, I have to look at the chart legend from time to time. If there is a legend in Foreflight I have not found it. Of course I haven't actually looked for it either.

Also I have trouble finding all the DFW frequencies in FF. The paper is handy for that two.

For me, it's hard to imagine doing away with paper altogether and depending on FF for everything.

The FAA guidance for Part 91 ops recommends a back-up. The FAA guidance for Part 135 and 121 requires a backup. The backup can be also electronic. (I buy a 1-month subscription of an Android-based efb for my phone as a backup when I do a cross country out of my "local" area.)

Part 91 Guidance: http://tinyurl.com/3pcug22
Part 135 and 121 Guidance: http://tinyurl.com/494lcn7
What does it mean, 'not connected to a mounting device'?

Yes, and for a rookie like myself, I have to look at the chart legend from time to time. If there is a legend in Foreflight I have not found it. Of course I haven't actually looked for it either.

Also I have trouble finding all the DFW frequencies in FF. The paper is handy for that two.

For me, it's hard to imagine doing away with paper altogether and depending on FF for everything.

The legend is in the new version in the documents section.

Thanks Jaybird. I hadn't thought about that. The IPad has that section, but not on the IPhone.

They've put the legends and this type of info in the screenshot in the documents section now.

What's missing is the frequency/contact tables for MOA's etc. They've moved that to the touch interface on the map itself inside the airspace block as per the next two screenshots.

(I wonder why the word "(Civilian)" needed to be cut off and a variable sized text box for the frequency data wasn't utilized in screenshot #3...)

And I do not see the VFR routes depictions in text or graphics anywhere as Henning pointed out. Many are now charted on the main front side of the charts anyway, but not all.

Example would be the back side of the Denver / Colorado Springs Terminal Area chart as seen in photo #4 below. That chart is nowhere to be found in Foreflight.

a6faa61e-f8d8-3783.jpg

a6faa61e-f8e5-8aa4.jpg

a6faa61e-f8f3-0a7c.jpg

a6faa61e-fa03-0706.jpg

Geez, I guess you want them to fly the plane for ya and fill it with gas too, huh?

(LOL)

Geez, I guess you want them to fly the plane for ya and fill it with gas too, huh?

(LOL)

LOL. No. I just kinda think if it's a legal chart replacement, and it is... the whole chart should be there and accessible, somewhere. ;)

Foreflight quit 4 times on Sunday. Just tapped "maps" and it disappeared. Finally decided to reboot, that seemed to work.

Back