ForeFlight: Expected Route Alert Not Available

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
I filed IFR returning at night from 3DA this evening and was a little puzzled by why I hadn't gotten an expected route notification like I always have in the past. When I got home, I had 3 emails from Foreflight: one for the briefing, one for the filing, and one referring to my expected route, except that it said that the notification alert wasn't available because my aircraft has "insufficient history to trigger alerts" ???! :confused:

As I said, I've been getting these notifications all the time, every time I've filed for the past year, or at least since FF added this feature (I believe it's a Pro feature, but I'm not 100% sure of that). The text says that IF my tail number is blocked, I might have to purchase "selective unblocking" from FlightAware, and provided a link to do that. When I clicked on the link, it seemed to imply that selective unblocking was for when you've chosen to block your tail number from FlightAware. Since I haven't blocked my tail number, I assume (???) that case doesn't apply to me.

What else could have caused this? Transient FlightAware glitch (that would be nothing unusual)? Anyone had this happen?

I wonder if FlightAware might have tightened up the cutoff for the for-free flight history lookup so that you have to pay to find even fairly recent flights now. It's been awhile since I last flew in the system due to mx downtime starting late last month. Certainly I flew in the system less than 2 months ago though, and I'm pretty sure I used to see my past flights going back at least that far.

Edit: that doesn't seem to be the case. Below the activity log, FA says registered users can view 4 months history, and after logging in, I could see my flights back to July. So they're there, freely visible. So why don't I have "sufficient history"?? :confused:

Last edited:
I think you have to do something new in FF to relink to Flightaware. I got the same thing on a trip last month. Can't tell you for sure where to look or if I'm right. Someone else can verify or not.

I used FF on an IFR plan for the first time use with that N number to me. I received multiple email alerts through my phone. This was two weeks ago.

Just recently I got the same message ,I am registered on flight aware.

Thanks guys.

BillTIZ, I assume you mean you got multiple update alerts as ATC kept changing your expected route? (i.e., not like what happened to me)?

I emailed ForeFlight and got a reply this morning. They're investigating. I can't find anything in the most recent FF pilot guide about needing to do something new. The whole process was certainly transparent before and it sounds like it is intended to be. In fact I was pleasantly surprised to get that alert the first time, and found the expected route quite accurate most of the time.

I'm betting this is some kind of bug, but stay tuned.

Thanks guys.

BillTIZ, I assume you mean you got multiple update alerts as ATC kept changing your expected route? (i.e., not like what happened to me)?

I emailed ForeFlight and got a reply this morning. They're investigating. I can't find anything in the most recent FF pilot guide about needing to do something new. The whole process was certainly transparent before and it sounds like it is intended to be. In fact I was pleasantly surprised to get that alert the first time, and found the expected route quite accurate most of the time.

I'm betting this is some kind of bug, but stay tuned.

Before sending an alert, we were checking flight history to see if an alert would be available for the airplane. The history check was based on 30 days of flying activity. That was insufficient, so we removed the history check and are setting alerts for every flight plan filed regardless of history.

We have one more update to make, which is if we don't receive an alert within X minutes of departure, we'll tell you that too so you know you've either got an expected route clearance or the expected route information is unavailable.

Thanks! Both are very welcome changes.

Before sending an alert, we were checking flight history to see if an alert would be available for the airplane. The history check was based on 30 days of flying activity. That was insufficient, so we removed the history check and are setting alerts for every flight plan filed regardless of history.

We have one more update to make, which is if we don't receive an alert within X minutes of departure, we'll tell you that too so you know you've either got an expected route clearance or the expected route information is unavailable.

Back