Forced Landing - What are your best options?

Hey, if you're going to land on a highway and don't know whether to land with or against the traffic, please land against it so we can stop arguing about how badly the airplane will get smashed up.

Seriously, my first choice would be a field next to the highway. If it was mountainous, forests or other place where I didn't get much choice, then a low approach over the highway and try to merge into traffic, slow down for the flare and hope the idiots behind you don't freak and try to pass. At 65-70 kts approach speed, I figure I'm probably going about as fast as traffic, depending on where the highway is. But I also figure that if most people see an airplane flying just in front of them and descending, they're probably going to start braking so the plane doesn't crash land on them. That might be the one time it's good to have that image.

I sure hope it wouldn't be West bound on I635, East of DFW Airport. If it were, they would be passing you and flipping you off because you didn't have any brake lights.:eek:

Back