Forbes Field Topeka, KS

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
As students, instructors, and all pilots alike we're always looking for some sort of adventure. Yesterday for a first XC with one of my students, we flew to Forbes Field in Topeka, KS. We had heard they had a combat museum. Sure enough, they had a website and a location so we decided to fly down. After flight planning, we jumped in our trusty 172 and departed for Topeka on a calm afternoon. The lack of turbulance, which was originally reported, made the learning portion of the flight a much better and easier experience. Soon Kansas City Center asked us if we were familiar with the location of Forbes and wanted to make sure we didn't get it confused with Billiard. We confirmed we saw the difference and shortly after we were commencing final approach for 21 at Forbes. After landing, I asked where would be the best place to park for the museum. Tower gave us an interesting instruction, "just pull anywhere off to your right and walk in the hanger." Well this was interesting since there were about 10 hangers and no other airplanes to be seen. Soon we found the Constillation off to our right which I remembered was on their website. "Well, I guess this is it!"

After shut down, I could just barely make out some strange music. On the hanger in very small letters were the words, "Combat Air Museum." We walked in the hanger door and found some beautifully restored aircraft from a version of the T-6 texan to an older blue Angels fighter and even a helicopter or two. The world war II era music was gently playing in the background, the lights were low and no people were heard walking around. It reminded me of an Alfred Hitchcock movie...almost...creapy? Finally in the back of the hanger we found a gift shop and two elderly gentleman who ran the place. They asked a $6 donation which I'm sure was an "on your honor" system since we could have walked around but we happily paid. They told us we were free to walk about the two museum hangers and even the constellation that sat outside. The first hanger which we had a glimps of already was the restored hanger, the second was the restoration hanger where aircraft projects were being finished to their glory days.
We walked around and the hanger had many different aircraft from the very first bomber hanging from the ceiling (all they did was hold the bombs and drop them out of the side), to helcopters we could walk through, and even an art gallary up stairs. The restoration hanger next door had many aircraft of which were stacked so close to each other I doubt you could slip a hand in between some of them. Many of the aircraft, although in restoration, did have little fact posted in front of them. These aircraft included a newly added F-14, a C-47, Beech 18, a large helicopter used to lift cranes just to name a few. It was like a blast from the past. I was expecting someone to walk up to me in uniform any minute. The music played in this hanger too on old speakers, I dont remember the exact songs but the era reminded me of "Blue Skies" by Ella Fitsgarelld. Your imagination tends to wander what it would have been like when your entire world is encompassed by a hanger filled with old airplanes that are still dripping oil. I haven't been to a museum that all the planes, some of which are more than twice my age, look like they still have the fluids of life if someone would only just open the hanger. I'm glad someone is keeping them hangered instead of in some junk yard. They are veterans too you know.
The very last thing we looked at before departing was the constellation, it needed some TLC from the looks of it but it was nice that it was free to the public. Most constellations charge you an extra fee to just walk inside one. The technology was very interesting inside, it was old mind you, but what caught my eye were the funny things such as they had a coffee maker and a metal fridge as well as it being pressurized. Some of the airmen wrote on a big see through plexiglass plate and had to learn how to write backwards. I asked the gentleman that had decided to give us a quick tour why it didn't fly anymore. He said they flew it here about 30 years ago and had plans to keep it flying until they got the $11,000 gas bill and as he said "that was 30 years ago." Unfortunately the birds have taken advantage to it being outside due to lack of hanger space. We deffinitely understood that, said our thank yous, and departed from our lovely afternoon at the Topeka combat air musuem. The flight back at night was beautiful.

So if you ever get a chance to pass by Topeka, stop at KFOE and park next to the constillation. If it's just you, don't worry that's normal. Just find the nice fellas at the front/back of the hanger in the gift shop (depending on where you're entering) and they'd be happy to tell you how to walk the best tour. ...oh, and make sure to tell them thank you for taking care of such great history.

Cool. It's fun to have a museum to yourself... but of course crowds are their bread and butter, so it's kinda sad, too.

When I was first considering going to grad school in Topeka, I flew out to Topeka to see if I'd like it. The museum was the first place I went, even before I went to the university. Back in those days, they had a pleasant old orange hangar cat. I loved the museum and still have the pictures (taken in the pre-digital camera age).

Could you post their web link?
I'm planning a spring cross country.. and Topeka just may be selected as one of my stops.
How far is it from there to Wright-Pat?

Back