For the CFI-IAs

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
How do you work on PP training in TAA aircraft (esp G1000)? I'm not talking so much about which screen you dim, as when you do it, and how.

I'd like to setup a few different failure scenarios that really challenge me.

Initially, we talk about it, then dim the screen and work on the Four Fundamentals (after the can do the 4F's full panel). After that at each stage (basic radio nav orientation/interception/tracking, holding, approaches, etc), once they can do it full panel, we do it with the PFD down. Once they can do it, I move to the "surprise" mode, where I generally kill the screen while they aren't looking, like when their eyes are closed for unusual attitude set-up. They open their eyes and see black glass, which often startles them. After they recover, I send them to fly an instrument approach that way. If I'm in a plane where I can pull the c/b and have them look up to red X's, I'll do tht at that stage, too, or even just pull the c/b while they're doing something under full panel, although it's usually hard to pull the c/b surreptitiously.

Initially, we talk about it, then dim the screen and work on the Four Fundamentals (after the can do the 4F's full panel). After that at each stage (basic radio nav orientation/interception/tracking, holding, approaches, etc), once they can do it full panel, we do it with the PFD down. Once they can do it, I move to the "surprise" mode, where I generally kill the screen while they aren't looking, like when their eyes are closed for unusual attitude set-up. They open their eyes and see black glass, which often startles them. After they recover, I send them to fly an instrument approach that way. If I'm in a plane where I can pull the c/b and have them look up to red X's, I'll do tht at that stage, too, or even just pull the c/b while they're doing something under full panel, although it's usually hard to pull the c/b surreptitiously.

That sounds good! In the Cirrus, as you know, there's no way to pull those breakers surreptitiously, unfortunately.

That sounds good! In the Cirrus, as you know, there's no way to pull those breakers surreptitiously, unfortunately.
Well, you can try while their eyes are closed on the UA set-up, but there's a good chance your trainee may get the wrong idea, especially if she's wearing a skirt.

Well, you can try while their eyes are closed on the UA set-up, but there's a good chance your trainee may get the wrong idea, especially if she's wearing a skirt.

Hahahahah! Now I have to clean this soda off this keyboard!

And a reminder that CBs aren't switches. This will wear them out prematurely.

The cost is cheap compared to not seeing what it really looks like to have red X's, but many people don't realize the long-term effect unless they're rated for such behavior.

And a reminder that CBs aren't switches. This will wear them out prematurely.
That is the Garmin/Cirrus-recommended method of doing that training, although Cessna recommends otherwise. Either folks who can afford a half-million dollar airplane aren't worried about the cost of one c/b, or they don't think it will wear out that fast, or Garmin/Cirrus are trying to sell c/b's.

That is the Garmin/Cirrus-recommended method of doing that training, although Cessna recommends otherwise. Either folks who can afford a half-million dollar airplane aren't worried about the cost of one c/b, or they don't think it will wear out that fast, or Garmin/Cirrus are trying to sell c/b's.

usually people that made it to buy a half mil plane are aware and care how every single penny out of their pocket is spent. As an old acquiantance once told me "Take care of the cents to keep the millions."

I thought Ben's question was about PP training in a TAA not IR training.:rolleyes2:

I thought Ben's question was about PP training in a TAA not IR training.:rolleyes2:
"PP" is "partial panel" in his context (CFI-IA's, dimming screens, failure scenarios, etc), not "private pilot," and partial panel is an IR (instrument rating) thing -- you get the full panel for the instrument work for Private Pilot.

Back