For the Bike-Heads like me...Sturgis Pics

One of the cable channels, I forget which, had an all day marathon on Sturgis this past weekend. I've never been a bike kind of person, but it was fascinating, I couldn't turn it off. They followed two groups of bikers from their homes, cross country to Sturgis and then the various partying while they were there. One was the "Hamsters", a group of custom bike builders (well off bikers), and another was a group of "The Uglys", a Harley group that fit the old biker image. It looked like fun actually.

I'd like to do Sturgis someday...
It's a lot of fun, but crowded and ... well, crowded. And the cops have NO sense of humor, that I could see. I think Sturgis gets most of it's money for the year during bike week, with fines, tickets and towing. :(

I was there in '93 - that was a helluva year. In January I put EVERYTHING I owned into a storage unit, gave up my house, got a p.o. box and hit the road on my new '93 electra glide sport. NC to Daytona, stayed a month or two in key west, had belly surgery then hit the road again, NC to Sturgis, to Colorado (where I stayed with some mexican folks in Pueblo - met 'em in Sturgis), then off to CA via Hwy 50 ... made it as far as Salida (about 60 miles a way) where I met a waitress and stayed there for a while. THEN across the west on 50 - "loneliest road in america", and that's for damn sure. Towns are 80 miles apart and you don't see ANY buildings between towns, just little dirt roads that disappear into the distance. You don't pass up any gas stations, either, let me tell ya. Finally coming into Nevada I passed a building with christmas lights strung around it ... surprised me so much I turned around to see what it was - it was a whorehouse!! :eek:

Never been in one before, so what the hell I got a drink and asked one of the girls how it worked - I mean, did they have menus or what? She told me she couldn't talk about it in the bar area and we'd have to go in the back. I made sure she understood I was NOT a "customer" and wasn't gonna BE a "customer", and she was ok with that, so we went back to her room ... they DO have menus!! :eek: She had pics of her kids up and everything. It was sorta strange.

Then to San Jose and up Hwy 1 into SF. Hwy 1 is some kinda dangerous - it's so pretty, I'd be looking at the ocean, then look ahead and YIKES THE ROADS TURNING NOW AND THERES A BIG BOULDER STRAIGHT AHEAD!! So I'd make the turn, quickly, and sweat and say "whew- not gonna do THAT again!" and about half a mile later, looking at the view and YIKES THE ROADS TURNING NOW AND THERE'S A 500' DROPOFF STRAIGHT AHEAD!!! So I make the turn and say ... Finally just started pulling off at all the overlooks.

Eventually south to Big Sur and Carmel, then across 40 back to NC, ocean to ocean, arriving in the Fall.

It was a pretty great trip. Met my wife about a week after I got home! :D

I was there in '93 - that was a helluva year. In January I put EVERYTHING I owned into a storage unit, gave up my house, got a p.o. box and hit the road on my new '93 electra glide sport..... then across 40 back to NC, ocean to ocean, arriving in the Fall.

It was a pretty great trip. Met my wife about a week after I got home! :D

Wow, Tom, sounds like a good trip. Was it one of those soul-searching type things? Have you seen the book "Ghost Rider" by Rush drummer Neil Peart? I haven't gotten to read it yet, but the reviews are very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Rider-T...4328435?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186592588&sr=8-1

I just sold my Dad's Harley-Davidson MotorTrike conversion last week. The new owner won first place with it on Saturday at a local bike rally/show. It was a real looker.

Thanks for the pics! I went through Sturgis once. It was a week before the Rally started, and it was flippen crowded then. I'm imagining its like biker OSH, only a bit louder and there's more beer.

I still have family in the Black Hills. My brother in law says that he is now seeing as much business the week prior and after than he is during the actual event week.

Me? growing up there, we just got the heck out of the Hills during that week ... hid out at a cabin up the North Shore of Minnesota.

Well I had a good time. Of course it was a business trip. For a hobby my boss has Japanese and Harley Dealerships.... In other words, I couldnt afford to get thrown in jail. I did however see things some men just dont need to see and a lot of things you do want to see. :) It was nice that they had bikes trailered in for us.

We were there a month ago and the place was a ghost town, although a lot of "bar" construction was going on. Bought a couple of Sturgis T-shirts.

A part of me would like to go but the more sensible part says that after about an hour around those swarms of people and I'd be running for the "Black" hills!:D

I went to Sturgis last year. Got to see a concert at the Buffalo Chip. Backstage. :yes:

We also draggged main in our crew car and felt a little dorky and conspicuous in pilot uniforms. :rolleyes:

Back