? for tax guys

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
I started a new LLC last year to buy the Lance. My partner and I do not want to depreciate the airplane, but my tax guy is telling me that even if we don't claim the depreciation, we'll have to pay capital gains at sale as if we had. Can this possibly be right? If my tax guy is mistaken, authoritative sources that I can pass on to him would be helpful if you have it.

Thanks.

Dunno about cap gains, but I'm really wondering why you wouldn't take the depreciation?

Not a CPA, but might want to talk to another one.

Capital Gains tax is due when you have Capital Gains- you can have imputed Capital Gains when you have depreciated the asset and sell it for more than its depreciated basis, even where the sale price is not a gain over the purchase price. It's a give-back from the benefit you derived by taking the depreciation.

No depreciation, no reduced basis and hence, no (imputed) gain.

/me is still wondering why you wouldn't want to take depreciation?

If you can depreciate it, then when you sell it, can't you do a 1013 transfer for another airplane?

/me is still wondering why you wouldn't want to take depreciation?

If you can depreciate it, then when you sell it, can't you do a 1013 transfer for another airplane?
And what if you don't get another airplane? And what if you put the other airplane into a different corporation or buy into an existing partnership?

I started a new LLC last year to buy the Lance. My partner and I do not want to depreciate the airplane, but my tax guy is telling me that even if we don't claim the depreciation, we'll have to pay capital gains at sale as if we had. Can this possibly be right? If my tax guy is mistaken, authoritative sources that I can pass on to him would be helpful if you have it.

Thanks.
It is what I have always been told by my CPA concerning my rental house. Capital Gains will be applied to the depreciated basis when the property is disposed of. Period

Depreciation is allowable if an asset (1) is used for business or held for the production of income; (2) has a determinable useful life exceeding one year; and (3) wears out, decays, or becomes obsolete, or loses value from natural causes.

Would you say your use of the aircraft qualifies for use in a business or the production of income? If so, then deprecation begins when it is placed in service.

If you could depreciate the aircraft, then your tax guy appears correct. Internal Revenue Code Sec. 1016(a)(2) requires you to reduce the basis in your asset by the greater of the deprecation allowed or allowable (an operative term), meaning that if you were allowed to depreciate an asset but did not, you would still have to reduce the basis by the amount of deprecation that you could have taken, if it is greater than what you actually took.

The only good thing here is that if you did not claim depreciation, the basis reduction is used to determine your gain or loss, but you don't have depreciation recapture.

Depreciation recapture is a concept that requires you to pick up as ordinary income (not capital gain income) that portion of gain that represents deprecation claimed on that asset. For example, if you purchased an appreciating asset for $100,000, depreciated $30,000 of it, and sold it for $110,000, you would have total gain of $40,000, but $30,000 of that would be ordinary income (depreciation recapture) and $10,000 would be capital gain.

I hope that helps.

If you could depreciate the aircraft, then your tax guy appears correct. Internal Revenue Code Sec. 1016(a)(2) requires you to reduce the basis in your asset by the greater of the deprecation allowed or allowable (an operative term), meaning that if you were allowed to depreciate an asset but did not, you would still have to reduce the basis by the amount of deprecation that you could have taken, if it is greater than what you actually took.
Yup. Looks like this is what I'm stuck with. Thanks,

It seems to me you'd only want to take depreciation only for constant business use (mostly training or rental) or such as a flying club situation where its use may actually cause a decline in value.

It seems to me you'd only want to take depreciation only for constant business use (mostly training or rental) or such as a flying club situation where its use may actually cause a decline in value.
That's where I was coming from. Unfortunately, it appears you're not given the option. You can refuse to claim the depreciation, but apparently when you sell you're taxed as if you had, so what's the point in not claiming it?

That's where I was coming from. Unfortunately, it appears you're not given the option. You can refuse to claim the depreciation, but apparently when you sell you're taxed as if you had, so what's the point in not claiming it?
I'd search out a CPA who has dealt with aircraft sales in Florida. Perhaps a school or flying club can refer you to someone who has done so.

Back