For Sale: Pitts S1S

Cessna150C

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Acronut
This a a great performer! 789 lbs. empty. Lycoming 0-360 with 10:1 pistons. Catto three blade composite prop. Great competition plane. Also includes external ferry tank, parachute, and helmet. Delivery available.

attachment.php

This a a great performer! 789 lbs. empty. Lycoming 0-360 with 10:1 pistons. Catto three blade composite prop. Great competition plane. Also includes external ferry tank, parachute, and helmet. Delivery available.

attachment.php

Sent your post to a friend on Facebook....

How about some specs, times on everything, etc...

That's a good deal if the times are reasonable, especially with the Catto prop and that gear. Id love to fly one that weighs less than 800 lbs, mine's a fatty at 900+. :(

How about some specs, times on everything, etc...

Sorry for the wait. See below for answers to your questions. Thinking about moving up from you flybaby?

Year built - 1969
Year rebuilt (and it was not rebuilt due to an accident or damage) - 1981
Total time since built - 2425.77 hrs.
Total time since rebuilt - 802.77 hrs.
Total time since major overhaul engine - 738.69
Total time since new propeller - 78.77 hrs.

Engine - Lycoming 0-360
Propeller - Catto three blade wood core with carbon fiber 72x58
Landing gear - Grove Aluminum with correct fuselage reinforcement
Tailwheel - Haigh locking
Spades
Sighting device
Lexan side and belly windows
Hooker ratcheting harness
Skytec lightweight high torque starter
Aerovoltz 16 cell Lithium Ion battery - Works great!
All logs

Here's a picture from "back in the day" when Clint McHenry owned it. He actually came in first place in Unlimited at Fond Du Lac in 1974 with this pitts. BTW, the rebuild in 81 was done by Richard Bastian. The engine was done by Dick DeMars.

attachment.php

I see it has an O-360, is that a pressure carb, or does she lose power inverted?

I see it has an O-360, is that a pressure carb, or does she lose power inverted?

I don't see many Pitts quit running when they do acro. LOL!
Tom just placed really good at nationals in intermediate in this airplane.
So yes it has inverted systems.

It's got a Bendix PS-5C Pressure Carb. Also has christen inverted oil.

Let's see if the picture came through this time.

Attachments

• N88TF Clint McHenry.JPG
    N88TF Clint McHenry.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 53
I don't see many Pitts quit running when they do acro. LOL!
Tom just placed really good at nationals in intermediate in this airplane.
So yes it has inverted systems.

Ok, it might be worth mentioning what alternate fuel induction system it uses because "O-360" tells me it has a regular carb on it which needs positive Gs to function.

Yea... He could have won nationals but that damn motor kept going out each time he went inverted. Lol!

Yea... He could have won nationals but that damn motor kept going out each time he went inverted. Lol!

Where in the OPs postings does it give a clue to that? I'm just trying to bring to light critical spec information on a plane for sale that is NOT obvious from the listing. Not every S-1S is so equipped.

A few of my favorite pictures

Attachments

• DSCI0108.JPG
    DSCI0108.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 100_1551.JPG
    100_1551.JPG
    748.9 KB · Views: 63
Probably one of the sadest days of my life today. Just delivered her to the new owner. :sad: What an awesome plane.

Attachments

• Last Preflight.JPG
    Last Preflight.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • New Home.JPG
    New Home.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
How many gallons does that ferry tank hold, and where can I get one for my Pitts??
Thanks. robskils

I think it was 15. If you want one I think you'd have to make it. Mine came with my plane. From what I've heard they were custom made using two spinners. If you ask around on the biplaneforum you can probably get more info.

But really I can't imagine sitting in a pitts long enough to need one:)

Back