FM transmitter for MP3 player (NA)

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I'd like to get a transmitter for my ipod to use both at home and in the car. Anybody have a recommendation for a battery powered one? Also, what kind of range can I expect into a FM tuner at home?

Dang, I was about to reply with info on the one my wife has, but it's a cigarette lighter (or auxiliary power source, as they're now known) version. Well, that's connected to the battery, isn't it? :yes:

First off...why would you buy an iPod?

Yea I've got no idea, but it might be more worth it to buy a universal one (that plugs into a 1/8" jack) as opposed to one that only plugs into an iPod.

we have one but don't use it much, I can test the range if you want - I bet its no more than 50'.
it runs off the ipod battery so the batt life drops when using it.

Keep in mind that unless you have one of those wire FM antennas that come with home receivers your FM signal probably comes from a roof mounted directional antenna or cable. Neither one is very likely to pick up your iPod transmitter from anywhere near your receiver.

-lance

The FM transmitters are twitchy because you have to find a free FM frequency, which is near impossible in big cites. The GF had the Monster which had like 6 preset frequencies you choose from in sequence Get as many as possible or, better one that has a varible tuner to cover the whole spectrum.

I use an old, cheap cassette tape adapter.

At home you can just connect your IPod to the TV or stereo with a dock or an audio cable.

Typical range is 5-10'

The FM transmitters are twitchy because you have to find a free FM frequency, which is near impossible in big cites. The GF had the Monster which had like 6 preset frequencies you choose from in sequence Get as many as possible or, better one that has a varible tuner to cover the whole spectrum.

I use an old, cheap cassette tape adapter.
That has been my experience as well. The best I have found is the one by Monster. They make one specific for the iPod which also powers the player and they make one with just the 1/8" headset jack on it.

Back