Flying with the iPad - MSP Area question

bjohnsonmn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bjohnsonmn
Hey Folks,
I have the iPad 2, and am considering purchase of an iPad knee board. But, like many folks, the lack of retail store locations makes it difficult to pick one out.

Is there anyone in the MSP area, specifically at KFCM, that might have an iPad knee board, or a ram clip that would work going in and out of rental aircraft, that I could take a look at?

For those outside the area, opinions are both expected, and appreciated.

Best,
Brad

Wish I could help, but I don't own an iPad.

541363_411773168836653_100000119195795_1759250_974849720_n.jpg

It has been a whole since I lived up there. Not sure who all is till around that carried pilot supplies. Elliot Aviation, Modern Aero?

It has been a whole since I lived up there. Not sure who all is till around that carried pilot supplies. Elliot Aviation, Modern Aero?

You could try Wipaire @ SGS or Wright Aero at STC. I have only been to Wright Aero to buy a fuel dipstick which I lost and needed to replace. :redface:

I bought the Sporty's kneeboard - but never used it.
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/product/15935
It is way too big, and the elastic band attachment is too loose. (I usually love Sporty's products, but this one is the exception to the rule.)

Instead I am using a targus cover from Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Targus+-+VuScape+Cover+for+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPad%26%23174%3B+2+-+Clear/2319197.p;jsessionid=F3146099F614B564862661E91398C494.bbolsp-app01-30?id=1218320821749&skuId=2319197
It provides good protection, doesn't significantly increase the IPad's foot print, and I can simply clip the iPad on my traditional kneeboard using the back cover. Or, if flying takes priority, the iPad is easily removed and stowed.

Have you checked Thunderbirds' pilot shop? It's possible they might have something like that.

I haven't seen an iPad kneeboards in any of the local pilot shops (T-Bird has the most stuff at FCM). I did see several examples at AirVenture last summer but saw none that I liked. One issue with leg mounts is they can become impossible to read if the sun is shining on it. This is more of a problem in a low wing airplane. I just leave mine on my lap when I'm using it and stowed alongside my seat when not.

I just feel compelled to throw this in.

I was looking and searching for IPad mounts, kneeboards and all that. By chance my wife bought a little blueteeth keyboard that is in a leather mount sort of thing. You can fold it so that the IPad is on top without access to the keyboard, but provides a leather backing as it lays flat on your lap with a slight angle.

I started flying with it on my lap and it works so good that I wouldn't try a mount if you gave it to me. It is made by Targus I think.

Hope this helps,

Back