Flying with portable oxygen

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
I have a two place portable oxygen system (new) that I haven't used.

What steps can I do to get used flying on O2?
Would you pay a CFI to ride with you the first time?
Do you wear a pulse oximeter? (always, sometimes, never)

Thanks!

Thanks!

Don't smoke.

You only need a pulse ox reading a few times to know what altitude your saturation drops below 90%. goal is saturation 90% or better; some would say goal is 92% or better.

Unless you have a rare event your saturation will typically stabilize at any given altitude with or without oxygen. in my view only real benefit of continuous pulse ox reading is warning of exhaustion or interruption of oxygen delivery.

I wear oxygen typically when above 8k. recommend looking at your pulse ox reading at 8, 10, 12 and using oxygen based on your reading.

Not that big of a deal, learn your flow settings, watch where you route your o2 lines.

Personally I don't mess with that garbage, I'll ether stay below the legal altitude (as a healthy non mouth breather I feel fine with that), or I fly pressurized aircraft.

For me, with my flights, it's basically below 10k, or above 20k

Fly right seat to high altitude with a pulse ox and no oxygen, and see what your response is at various saturations. The left seat should have oxygen. Note that regs do not require you to use oxygen above 12500 (after 30 minutes), only to have it available above 15000, as a passenger.

My own answer is that I start to get tongue tied at 92, and sweat at 84. I haven't tested further than that, as a cold sweat is my trigger to descend NOW. No matter what the pulse ox says -- it may also be a sign of CO, which will give a false high saturation.

And it happened yesterday....during a high altitude mountain search, when the O2 went dry. Only lasted 4 hours for two people. That's shorter than expected. Sweating in -7 C weather is not normal.

Pulse ox and easily accessible flow meters are considered essential equipment above 10,000. I don't wear the pulse ox continuously, as it's hard to operate the controls like that. But I do check it regularly as part of the cruise and climb checklists.

The pulse ox isn't only to determine when to put the oxygen on; it's also to set the flow rate. The flow regulators are labeled in pressure altitude, but I find I need a bit more than it says to keep saturation at 92.

Go fly with a pulse ox without O2,then try flying with O2 while monitoring the pulse ox. The pulse ox will give you an idea of what altitude you can fly comfortably without O2.

My flying at at oxygen altitudes was before pulse oximeters were a thing. Just used the cannulas when required by regulation and had no issues. During my career I went to military O2 chambers twice, which was educational but in the end did not change my practices. I don't see the need for an instructor.

Bob

2 liters per hour(I think that is the right units, anyway it is a 2) is the recommended amount for up to 18k. But some will need more especially at higher altitudes. Most of the meters have from .5 to 8 lph in .5 increments. Get a 24 cu ft aluminum bottle or larger.
24 cu ft will last 4 hours at 2 lph constant flow.

Last edited:
One important point is to make sure the oxygen tank is strapped in place. You don't want that thing to hurt someone if you hit turbulence.

2 liters per hour(I think that is the right units, anyway it is a 2) is the recommended amount for up to 18k. But some will need more especially at higher altitudes. Most of the meters have from .5 to 8 lph in .5 increments. Get a 24 cu ft bottle or larger.
My O2 system has flow adjusters/indicators that are marked per thousand feet of altitude.

2 liters per hour(I think that is the right units, anyway it is a 2) is the recommended amount for up to 18k. But some will need more especially at higher altitudes. Most of the meters have from .5 to 8 lph in .5 increments. Get a 24 cu ft aluminum bottle or larger.
24 cu ft will last 4 hours at 2 lph constant flow.

That's liters per minute... lpm

Paul

I have the demand regulators (mine are preciseflite but MH makes good ones too). The bottles last a good long time so I just go on it prophylactically when I think I might need it (typically 10,000'). I have a little pulseox but I rarely use it.

Lile Ron, I use any time over 10k. Of course I start at 5k.

I fly with a Mountain High Pulse Demand system and love it. Everyone responds differently to O2 saturation levels...but I regularly do 250nm XC trips anywhere between 8,000'-14,000'.

Not much to get used to, I just use the pulse oximter to check saturation levels with and without O2 at various altitudes to see what setting is best for me. On my longer flights I have found that over 8K I land much more refreshed and mentally focused than without O2. My rule of thumb is for flights over an hour I use O2 at 8K and up at night and 10K and up for day flights. Between 8-10k day flight varies on usage and mission.

I have felt hypoxic symptoms higher and even though I do not "need" it at most of my altitudes...I feel a heck of a lot better when I use O2 when I land.

Check my picture. I have my Oximizer cannula on.
This was taken at the hold line before launch. I am wearing it, O2 bottle is on, but flow meter is closed, no O2 flow.
Airport is 5500MSL, tow to about 7500MSL and a average 8knot summer thermal will have me above 12,000MSL in no time. Cramped glider cockpit and trying to keep a rough ride thermal centered, not a place to be putting on the cannula.

Military trained on O2. But the key is, know your equipment, know your symptoms and pay attention.
My symptom is hot flashes in my legs. Every altitude chamber ride confirmed it (every 3years in military service). Last summer I was soaring between 10,000MSL and 12,000MSL for a while. Not really at the legal requirement for O2, but my legs told me different. Clue bird came on, I opened the flow meter and felt a lot better in seconds.

Needing O2 at lower altitudes is a consequence of getting older.

Good info here. I want to try the oxygen/cannula thing at some point. I think I'll get an oximeter first and see what the readings are are 9500' and 10500' MSL. On a recent trip I spent a couple hours at 9500' (the highest I've been) with no issues, but I really want to see what the numbers are.

Years ago, we were flying along about 10,500 or so. I felt fine but I decided (while Margy was flying) to close or open the rear vent on the Navion. This requires me to undo my seatbelt, turn around, and reach way into the back of the cabin. Just that little bit of exertion led me to believe that I might need O2 lower than I had thought.

Careful... like other forms of intoxication, hypoxia will leave your judgment impaired so you think you are more capable than you are.

Thanks!
I just put on the cannulas above 10k, turned on the O2, and didn't give it another thought.

One thing to keep in mind is that the pulse ox is behind your body. Your brain will feel the effects before the pulse ox on your finger will. The difference isn't much but when you're already impaired by hypoxia and thinking to yourself "well my sat says 90" and then you don't look at it again it could prevent you from catching it. Hypoxia is interesting, some people get euphoric other people become very uncomfortable.

My flying at at oxygen altitudes was before pulse oximeters were a thing. Just used the cannulas when required by regulation and had no issues. During my career I went to military O2 chambers twice, which was educational but in the end did not change my practices. I don't see the need for an instructor.

Bob

This!!

I have an O2D2 Oxymiser from Mountain High. I set it and put the cannula on before I fly. It does the rest. Not understanding the need for a CFI. Don't see a need for a Pulse Ox either, although I have used one.

The pulse ox is essential for calibrating your personal oxygen needs. Without that, you're guessing when you need it and how much you need.

Lile Ron, I use any time over 10k. Of course I start at 5k.

If you're needing o2 at 5K MSL, you really need to speak with your doctor.

Most airlines and pressurized aircraft have a cabin of 5k or above in cruise

Most student pilots fly their first x/c around 5k

If you're feeling the need to go on o2 at that altitude, for your sake, get checked out.

If you're feeling the need to go on o2 at that altitude, for your sake, get checked out.
I took this to mean that he uses oxygen for flights above 10,000 but starts breathing it at 5,000 instead of waiting to get all the way up to 10,000, not because he gets hypoxic every time he visits Denver. Seems reasonable to me.

James, please note my location...My airport is 5512 MSL. My normal cruise altitude is 9K-11K. MSL. Over the hills, I'm at 14K. MSL.

For the hour from Denver to Pueblo, no big deal. 2 Hours or more, I'm on O2.

James, please note my location...My airport is 5512 MSL. My normal cruise altitude is 9K-11K. MSL. Over the hills, I'm at 14K. MSL.

For the hour from Denver to Pueblo, no big deal. 2 Hours or more, I'm on O2.

Gotcha, I'm just used to looking at my cabin altitudes as MSL not AGL

I recently purchased and installed a 2 place portable oxygen system. We rarely fly above 10k msl but noticed the wife good a headache starting around 8k. Used it recently at 9500. She felt great and even though I didn't need, put the cannula on anyway and continued testing with an O2 sensor. Mine was at 98% and she was at 89% at the same settings. We are the same age, late 40s. Definitely a good idea to have portable oxygen in the aircraft and always good to monitor, at least when first starting out. Everyone's oxygen requirements are different.

Back