Flying with a baby

tfitch03

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
tfitch03
Not really sure the proper place to post this...

I was reading through my dad's log book and saw that he took me flying when I was two months old! (Maybe I can log that as second in command ;) ) Not really sure the particulars of how he did it, but I want to travel with my wife and baby so I am turning to you all to see what recommendations yall have.

My concern is hearing protection. Trips are less than 2 hrs and can be done at relatively low altitude.

Thoughts? Stories? Lessons learned?

well the reason I ask is if the baby is still in the swaddling stage, you can probably use a headset or improvise something with a series of winter hats that cover the ears or something since the hands would be secured.

If he/she is older and will grab and remove these things, then I am not sure.

2 weeks right now but thinking Christmas time, so 3 months. I saw some infant ear muffs online that have a 22 decibel reduction and have a strap to secure to the head.

Peltor Kid Muffs run about 1/2 that price.

We got a set of "Ems for buds" which are good for infants. By toddler stage, it may be harder, but the occasional flight won't be an issue. We first flew our son at about 1 month, at 2 months we took him on a 3 hour XC, at 4 months we took him on an 8 hour XC to Newfoundland.

Once he hit 1 or so, he stopped liking the headset much. I try to keep the flight as low dB as possible anyways, and at no point does the noise seem to bother him. So, I wouldn't worry about it. Your dad probably did nothing special when he took you flying.

More important than ear protection is making sure that the kid is secured in an appropriate child seat with someone capable of seeing to any and all inflight needs in the seat next to the kid. You do not want even a passenger trying to deal with an infant over the seat back from the front.

Peltor Kid Muffs run about 1/2 that price.

That's what I used. My wife put them on him a few times on the ground before we got to the plane to get him used to them. They were apparently comfortable enough that he didn't try to take them off. He just fell asleep on or just after take off. Both going and coming.

Take a bottle to feed him in the plane on the way down to help him self clear his ears through swallowing. A pacifier could maybe help, too.

More important than ear protection is making sure that the kid is secured in an appropriate child seat with someone capable of seeing to any and all inflight needs in the seat next to the kid. You do not want even a passenger trying to deal with an infant over the seat back from the front.

Yep. Aviation approved car seat in the back. My wife sat back there, too. I was alone up front. The forward CG of the 177B was quite useful. The 177B/RG was made for families.

Yep. Aviation approved car seat in the back. My wife sat back there, too. I was alone up front. The forward CG of the 177B was quite useful. The 177B/RG was made for families.
That is the plan. We have an aviation approved seat and my wife would sit in the back. The plane is a cessna 180 and I do not anticipate any cg issues.

Good input here!

I agree with an adult flight attendant seated alongside (i.e., row 2) when they are infants. Once mine were old enough not to need constant attention, I thought that a competent adult (even a non-pilot) in the right seat was a better risk-management choice.

I had a flight a couple years ago that didn't start with a baby on board.

I have two rules in my EMS flights:

1. Life does not start on my airplane.
2. Life does not end on my airplane.

(we can make exceptions for rule #1)

I had a flight a couple years ago that didn't start with a baby on board.

I have two rules in my EMS flights:

1. Life does not start on my airplane.
2. Life does not end on my airplane.

(we can make exceptions for rule #1)
Awesome!

@tfitch03, do you still need the Peltor kid muffs? We have our son's pair around, he has outgrown them and has graduated to a real headset. I'll send them to you if you like.

We got a set of "Ems for buds" which are good for infants. By toddler stage, it may be harder, but the occasional flight won't be an issue. We first flew our son at about 1 month, at 2 months we took him on a 3 hour XC, at 4 months we took him on an 8 hour XC to Newfoundland.

Once he hit 1 or so, he stopped liking the headset much. I try to keep the flight as low dB as possible anyways, and at no point does the noise seem to bother him. So, I wouldn't worry about it. Your dad probably did nothing special when he took you flying.
Ted's a bit blasé on children's hearing protection. I insist on it. My son refused to wear his headset on our last flight longer than 30 seconds. He's done flying until I can trust that he'll keep them on for at least most of the trip. My daughter has never been a problem. Funny how that works.

How much time as pic do you have? That would be the main factor for me in hauling anyone, regardless of age. Your overall experience is very important.

How much time as pic do you have? That would be the main factor for me in hauling anyone, regardless of age. Your overall experience is very important.
~800 PIC, ~1300 TT, ~400 in type. I try to fly a couple times a month in whatever is available to stay current. I have become more and more conservative each year and wouldn't take my family on a trip I wasn't 1000% comfortable with.

I would watch my altitude, check with DR, but I would ask:
How does a baby handle high altitudes, will Hypoxia be a problem?
IF the baby has a cold, will the pressure changes be a problem?
I would put mother in the back with the baby.

Keep descent profiles very modest, definitely under 500 fpm, ideally around 300 fpm. Regarding Tom's point, if the baby has a cold consider not flying. Infant eardrums are fragile, and babies can't be taught how to pop open their eustachian tubes. Letting them suck on a bottle or pacifier is helpful during descents. You probably know all of this already.

Keep descent profiles very modest, definitely under 500 fpm, ideally around 300 fpm. Regarding Tom's point, if the baby has a cold consider not flying. Infant eardrums are fragile, and babies can't be taught how to pop open their eustachian tubes. Letting them suck on a bottle or pacifier is helpful during descents. You probably know all of this already.

Or if they are crying or sleep their eustatian tubes are open.

Flew with mine at 6 months. In a auto carseat, in back, with mom, with peltor infant/ child hearing protection headset (no audio).

Slow altitude changes and she was oblivious. Played and slept.

I'll post a pic if I can find it.

Flew with mine at 6 months. In a auto carseat, in back, with mom, with peltor infant/ child hearing protection headset (no audio).

Slow altitude changes and she was oblivious. Played and slept.

I'll post a pic if I can find it.

I flew with my son at 2 months. I did the same as above. He loved it!!

a2721e4b593ac02889feaf6255490d74.jpg

My dads idea of baby sitting was just to plop me on his lap before I was 1 year old while he was flying his crop dusters.

I have a similar pic of my son at about the same age. I can't find it but I feel the need to share anyway. ;)

Here he is at 18 months.

Attachments

• 2014-02-16 09.15.10.jpg
    2014-02-16 09.15.10.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 198
  • 2014-02-16 09.17.18.jpg
    2014-02-16 09.17.18.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back