Flying to Mexico? Read this.

Well, since you want my to go, I guess I'll stay awhile and watch some more melt down. You're entertaining, in a teenager kind of way.
You're entertaining, in an ignoramus kind of way.

Mexico is a country with many wonderful things about it. (I married into a family with relatives there and have visited a few times.) Last May I hiked 2 of their taller volcanoes. Awesome beauty. We have flown 2x to Loreto on the east side of the Baja, both times were a terrific vacation. I have been lucky to mostly experience only the good people & places & things about Mx. - I realize as do my Mx relatives that there are some serious problems. (once we approached a police roadblock in a large city and their response was not 'this could be inconvenient', it was 'I sure hope these are real police').
We did have a slightly trying time at Chihuahua airport once. There were other things that irked me but mostly because I was in the US mindset of infrastructure, efficiency, and approach to life.

I was surprised to read this story and wrote Jim as I could not find it on his website; he confirms it is true and his blanket advice is to not do GA to Mexico for now.

I think the current response to GA problems we are having in Mexico is appropriate; shut down GA traffic and $ going south; maybe they will notice what they have done with their excessive regulations and fees & perhaps back off, to get our tourism dollars flowing once again.
It's not true, because the regulation in question is well publicized and clearly applicable and published in the Mexican AIP, NOTAMs, and numerous sites in plain English English nbaa and aopa. And it exists for the same reason that us regulations require GA planes coming from the south to land at the first POE: drug smuggling into mexico from Central and South American countries (dropping drug packages out of planes, etc.).

and how do you know they drive w/o a license, no insurance, file fraudalent tax returns? have you personally witness that behavior? what makes you think citizens dont do all of the above? illegals are here not becuase they want to, but out of pure necessity, i bet that pretty much every undocumented worker wants to go home and be with their family and loved ones, but infortunately they cant. additionatly, why so much hate? they are the cheap low level labor that keep prices reasonable for everyone else.

You're F'ing kidding me right?

So you'd sympathize with me if I needed money for my mortgage, so I stole stuff out of your house, or kicked your arse and stole your wallet.

They are criminals, I have ZERO sympathy.

And yes, I've been to Mexico and I've witnessed Mexicans in CA do all that stuff, minus the tax returns, most I've met don't file anything, cash money.

Sad how many people are scared of their shadow based upon poor writing like the OP and Faux News.

Definitely limits the ability to enjoy life.

and how do you know they drive w/o a license, no insurance, file fraudalent tax returns? have you personally witness that behavior? what makes you think citizens dont do all of the above? illegals are here not becuase they want to, but out of pure necessity, i bet that pretty much every undocumented worker wants to go home and be with their family and loved ones, but infortunately they cant. additionatly, why so much hate? they are the cheap low level labor that keep prices reasonable for everyone else.

why do you asume thst sharia law psuhed muslims to emigrate? have you been to a muslim country or do you even know how they live? or what about their happiness? if i were you i would stop making idiotic and ignorant comments.

I can sympathize with some of the first part of your post, but are you seriously going to insinuate that women, children, gays, etc. are "happy" living under sharia law and that people who judge Muslim countries (specifically ME Muslim countries) are doing so unfairly? Come on. That would be the equivalent of excusing American slavery by saying you didn't know if they were really "happy" or not.

And yes, I've been to many Muslim countries in the ME and Africa. I'm half-Syrian as well with family in those countries. Sometimes it's ok to just call a spade a spade.

Last edited:
Illegal immigration would be simple to solve. Simply go after businesses that hire illegals. Make the fines huge. Will never happen because business doesn't want it to happen. Cheap labor for low education jobs trumps that.

Illegal immigration would be simple to solve. Simply go after businesses that hire illegals. Make the fines huge. Will never happen because business doesn't want it to happen. Cheap labor for low education jobs trumps that.

I own a business. Government requires an I-9 and two forms of identification at time of hire. They don't check items or enforce it under Obama/Holder.

I own a business. Government requires an I-9 and two forms of identification at time of hire. They don't check items or enforce it under Obama/Holder.

What was different under the previous administration? (Not trying to argue - I really want to know if it was significantly better.)

What was different under the previous administration? (Not trying to argue - I really want to know if it was significantly better.)

It wasn't. But I'm sure argi-business checks all that info when hiring farm labor.... Same with meat packing plants, etc...

Not aviation specific, but for all the people on the fence about visiting. This is a good summary of what I love about living and working in Mexico.

Last edited:
The thing is: Why Mexico?

You can go to any number of other islands with better beaches and safer legal systems. If you lack the fuel to overfly Mexico then perhaps you'd best take the airlines. Even THEY have problems once in a while with Mexican paperwork.

The country has ALWAYS a den of thieves. It has gotten worse since the officials are regularly bribed by the cartels - so they believe that the only way to do business is with plata.

The latest scam is to find Americans driving rental cars, and ding them for some minor infraction. Then seize their drivers license and tell them a) they can pick it up at the polizia stazione tomorrow - or - b) pay a fine of whatever cash you have in your pocket right now. . . . .

I know people who travel for business who travel with two or three fake licenses so they can give one up when stopped.

Like this one?

mexifornia.jpg

You're F'ing kidding me right?

So you'd sympathize with me if I needed money for my mortgage, so I stole stuff out of your house, or kicked your arse and stole your wallet.

They are criminals, I have ZERO sympathy.

And yes, I've been to Mexico and I've witnessed Mexicans in CA do all that stuff, minus the tax returns, most I've met don't file anything, cash money.

maybe some do, but stealing, fraudalent tax returns, driving without a license, and other unlawful behavior is not limited to the undocumented subset of the whole population. I am just saying, be careful with generalizations and stereotypes live changes unexpectedly and you might end up on a not so good position. I am not talking about sympathy here.

and then you will have people complaining about exorbitant consumer prices due to increase in labor costs. we cant have it both ways its just economics.

Exactly, had a Mexican done the same in the US he would have been arrested and sitting in jail facing a $10,000 fine. Jesus, WTF do people want?:dunno:

let alone a mexican national, but an american national would also have taken it hard. CBP violations are tough and expensive and it doesnt matter who you are.

And we don't have any **** holes here in America?
Don't we also have our own share of corruption? Geez take it easy

this is not even a liberal vs conservative issue/debate. this is about people making ignorant statements and constructing broken arguments.

If only it was that simple.

As a hotelier in Iowa, we often had illegals apply for housekeeping jobs. (Interestingly, we have had none apply at our Texas hotel, in 5 years.)

We were the only hotel that refused to hire them. One particularly snotty woman (upset because I told her that we could not hire her because her social security number was bogus) motivated me enough to do my duty, as a citizen, and report the criminal.

I called the police, who referred me to the sherrif. The sherrif referred me to the feds, who told me to call the FBI. At every level, the response was the same: "Huh?"

I eventually gave up. Remember, this woman had filled out a job application, so I had EVERYTHING on her: home address, phone number, previous workplaces, references with phone numbers, etc. It didn't matter, no one cared. The law meant NOTHING to the people we had hired to enforce it.

I still get so upset about this episode that I have difficulty typing accurately. That was a turning point in my life. After that, I realized that the America I had grown up in was well and truly gone.

If only it was that simple.

As a hotelier in Iowa, we often had illegals apply for housekeeping jobs. (Interestingly, we have had none apply at our Texas hotel, in 5 years.)

We were the only hotel that refused to hire them. One particularly snotty woman (upset because I told her that we could not hire her because her social security number was bogus) motivated me enough to do my duty, as a citizen, and report the criminal.

I called the police, who referred me to the sherrif. The sherrif referred me to the feds, who told me to call the FBI. At every level, the response was the same: "Huh?"

I eventually gave up. Remember, this woman had filled out a job application, so I had EVERYTHING on her: home address, phone number, previous workplaces, references with phone numbers, etc. It didn't matter, no one cared. The law meant NOTHING to the people we had hired to enforce it.

I still get so upset about this episode that I have difficulty typing accurately. That was a turning point in my life. After that, I realized that the America I had grown up in was well and truly gone.

This is why I get the feeling that all the talk about getting tough on illegal immigration is just so much political football.

We should either enforce the immigration laws, or repeal them.

Neither party wants to be the first to touch the immigration laws, even though everyone knows they need to change. Sad, really, how polarized our politics have become where people can't even propose solutions to start to the conversation.

Anyways, the two times I've been to Mexico, I've had a great time. Want to go again.

Back