Flying through adiz

dennyleeb

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
7DeltaBravo
Was gonna fly from kfmy to KEYW via airways but they pass in and out of adiz. If ifr do I have to do anything special to do this? Thanks

John is right take the course, take the test and carry the completion certificate with you. Its easy and the course tells you EVERYthing you need to know. Don't sweat it.

Last edited:
If the OP is flying from Fort Myers FL to Key West FL, I sincerely doubt that he will have to deal with the Washington DC SFRA! I think that he was inquiring about the national border ADIZ. . .

Wells

If the OP is flying from Fort Myers FL to Key West FL, I sincerely doubt that he will have to deal with the Washington DC SFRA! I think that he was inquiring about the national border ADIZ. . .

Wells

Doh! good call Wells. But how do you know he's not going via DC:D. Sigh those of us that live up here in the Northeast AUTOMATCALLY think ADIZ and DC go together like PB & J. Actually now SFRA

From Fort Myers to Key West IFR via airways? No, nothing special, except maybe to add some water survival gear to your payload.

Take the course here:

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=55

You need to take it if your going to flying within 60 miles of DC anyway and it will give you the answers you want.
While not germane to the OP's question about the Coastal ADIZ, technically, the course is required only when flying VFR within 60nm of DCA, although it's still a real good idea to take it even if flying into or through the DC area only IFR.

Took the course when going to dc prior to my instrument rating. Not gonna be going through there on this flight though.

sorry, as Adam pointed out I jumped to the conclusion without bothering to look up the identifiers. living in close proximity to the forces of darkness has made me jump to the SFRA rules whenever anyone says ADIZ.

Check the AFD - it should give you the details you seek. Typically, if you are going to fly through the ADIZ, the big thing to keep in mind is that you must be on a flight plan. IFR is usually no big deal, but if you are doing it VFR, then it must be a DVFR flight plan and IIRC, you must specify the estimated time of penetrating the ADIZ. But, again, check the AFD - in some areas, there is an inner and outer ADIZ and if you are just going in/out of the inner, then it is no big deal. I know that HI is like that. Not sure about the Keys.

I think this is one of those flights that sorts pilots into "camps". I'm in the "skip the long overwater flight when it can be avoided" camp. Drawing a straight line between KFMY and KEYW seems, to me, like an unnecessary risk taken and an opportunity wasted. This flight is really easy to do while sticking within glide of the shore-line, it only adds a little bit of time, and you're rewarded with a scenic trip.

Oh, and stay clear of the big balloon.
-harry

Will be on ifr flight plan. Had my rating about a year now and have not flown vfr since. Sounds like as long as I do this I am good to go. Thanks

I think this is one of those flights that sorts pilots into "camps". I'm in the "skip the long overwater flight when it can be avoided" camp. Drawing a straight line between KFMY and KEYW seems, to me, like an unnecessary risk taken and an opportunity wasted. This flight is really easy to do while sticking within glide of the shore-line, it only adds a little bit of time, and you're rewarded with a scenic trip.

Oh, and stay clear of the big balloon.
-harry

Me, too, 100%.

Wells

I was wondering the same thing... that's a long routing to get from one part of Florida to another... even with tornados to dodge. :dunno:

Will be on ifr flight plan. Had my rating about a year now and have not flown vfr since. Sounds like as long as I do this I am good to go. Thanks

Since you are on a IFR flight plan and there is FOR sure no place to land between the two airports using a straight line course then my guess is you don't need to do anything but load up and head to the Keys..:dunno:

ymmv.

Since you are on a IFR flight plan and there is FOR sure no place to land between the two airports using a straight line course then my guess is you don't need to do anything but load up and head to the Keys..:dunno:

ymmv.
that's correct. if you are coming from an airport within the US to another airport within the US with no landing in the middle and you are on an IFR flight plan, you're safe.

You can come from texas straight to florida on IFR flight plan no problem over the water through the ADIZ

Back