Flying the Divide

stagecoachco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tony B
Back in September I took my Father in Law on a flight from Jeffco (BJC) to Steamboat (SBS) via Rollins Pass aka Corona Pass. It was his first time flying with me, and I think the first time in a small plane. He did great, not even phased by the small amount of turb we encountered. He took some great pictures that I wanted to share with you all:

Departure @ BJC
IMG_0256.jpg

View of Boulder while picking up ridge lift off the Flatirons
IMG_0258.jpg

Heading towards the pass - It is the obvious low spot in the middle right.
IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Pictures of crossing the divide after the succesfull hunt for ridge lift
IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

A random panel shot. My guess from the instruments is that this was taken descending out of the pass into the Grandby area
IMG_0278.jpg

Finally arrival at SBS
IMG_0293.jpg

My Father in Law and Me at SBS (with the 150hp/150 we just flew in)
IMG_0301.jpg

It was a really fun flight for me. It was my first mountain flight after doing a mountain checkout with my CFI. I had to abort our first attempt at the pass as we got into some sink and lost too much of our altitude by the time we got to the decision point. We flew around a bit, and I finally found some great ridge lift and got the altitude we needed. All in all it was a great flight, and I am hooked on Mountain Flying (which is good as I live in the mountains)

Tony

Last edited:
Great pix and write-up, Tony.
I'd love the chance to learn some mountain flying out west where the rocks are much bigger than here.

Nice Tony great shots

Kevin Shame this was posted a day to late I was stuck in TN at Tune on Friday we could of met up. It's a great airport and the people were very nice.

Nice Tony great shots

Kevin Shame this was posted a day to late I was stuck in TN at Tune on Friday we could of met up. It's a great airport and the people were very nice.

Dang. Glad you were well taken care of. If you ever come through the area again, shoot me a message.

Great pics. I loved mountain flying when I lived in Colorado. I really miss it. Now get thee to Leadville and ge the little certificate they give.

Oh yeah, BJC is now Rocky Mountain Metro. :rolleyes:

But I still call it Jeffco to. :D

Last edited:
Great pics. I loved mountain flying when I lived in Colorado. I really miss it. Now get thee to Leadville and ge the little certificate they give.

Actually did a stop and go at Leadville during my Mtn Checkout.

This is one of those stories that warm the soul... Congrats to you for following through on your flying dreams, getting a mountian flying course under your belt, and using what you learned for a safe passage over the big rocks.. The icing on the cake is the pride you gave your father by demonstrating your maturity he spent years instilling into you... he is ONE proud father for sure....... These are the moments humans live for.:):yesnod:

Safe flying sir.

Ben.

Everybody still calls it Jeffco. Except the tower. You'll find lots of references around here, such as "the airport formerly known as Jeffco".

Thanks for the comments Ben! I am making preliminary plans for a mt tour vacation this summer, and KJAC is on my list. If I end up making it there I would LOVE to get a look at your plane!:yesnod:

I did all my training @ BJC, so I call it Metro on the radio, but refer to it as Jeffco to other pilots. Most people know what you are talking about when you say Jeffco!

Great pics!! Wow, you can fly a 150 over the mountains?! ;-)

You don't need to go "over" the mountains, you just need to fly through the openings of the mountains. I did most of my flying no higher than 12,500 ft when I lived in Colorado. The primary trainer at Leadville last time I was there was a 150 HP C-172.

Sounds like there may be some glider pilot in your blood :yesnod:

Searching for lift is standard procedure in the hills out here. The rocks easily out climb most SEL aircraft so we use mother nature every chance we get.

Can someone suggest a good route from KBDU to KSBS for a Cirrus SR22 and a dog on board - need the lowest altitude mountain crossing possible.

Thanks/M

Can someone suggest a good route from KBDU to KSBS for a Cirrus SR22 and a dog on board - need the lowest altitude mountain crossing possible.

Thanks/M

You can either go around to the north (the long way) or over Corona Pass.

BDU southwest to Corona (14.5), then drop down to 12.5 go NW past Granby, turn SW past McElroy then another 15-20 nm then turn north to Steamboat.

North route: Head due north past Longmont to the CO-WY state line. Follow the state line west until you're about 15 nm east of Dixon (KDWX) then south to Steamboat. Entire trip at 10.5, you'll be about 1500 AGL most of the way.

In your Cirrus, it's an hour on the north route, about 45 min over the pass.

Don't waste your time going that far north. Rollins pass (corona) is obvious, but both milner and cameron pass a little to the north are more benign when the winds are out of 270 and a little lower. In a cirrus with only a dog you should have zero problems getting the cpa recommended 2000 agl margin. Winds light we cut it much closer. Many options and outs if it doesn't look good. Fly in the morning and when the winds aloft forecast is 25kts or under until you are very comfortable. Hit turblence, slow down well below manuevering speed and it will not hurt so bad.

I fly my C85 powered J3C through these mountains routinely. Take a look at the glider traffic on any given day. People are up there all the time and not dying. They are to be respected not feared.

I got my cub up to 13,700 returning from Moab 2 weeks ago.

You can either go around to the north (the long way) or over Corona Pass.

BDU southwest to Corona (14.5), then drop down to 12.5 go NW past Granby, turn SW past McElroy then another 15-20 nm then turn north to Steamboat.

North route: Head due north past Longmont to the CO-WY state line. Follow the state line west until you're about 15 nm east of Dixon (KDWX) then south to Steamboat. Entire trip at 10.5, you'll be about 1500 AGL most of the way.

In your Cirrus, it's an hour on the north route, about 45 min over the pass.

Thanks for the responses - forgot to mention that there will be 2 other adults also, so 3 + dog. Bags by FedEx! Will look at the northern route as alternate.

Back