Flying out of Ft Lauderdale Exec

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Going to Ft Lauderdale Miami area for some business, but will sneak a day to meet up with a CFI friend at his FBO. Will be getting some checkout time in his Arrow. Any suggestions for fun places to fly?

Going to Ft Lauderdale Miami area for some business, but will sneak a day to meet up with a CFI friend at his FBO. Will be getting some checkout time in his Arrow. Any suggestions for fun places to fly?

I don't have suggestions but I'll be very interested to hear your experience, as I'll eventually be renting out of there.

My goal is to take my parents to lunch, from FXE -> MYBS and back. aaawww yeaahhh!!!

While you are at FXE be sure to check out their pilots shop. It is one of the largest around. And there is a pretty good restaurant on field at FXE.
If you are down there any way, Key West or Marathon Key are good spots and neat flights.

One of my favorite places is Everglades Airpark (X01). There are several restaurants that will pick you up and return you to the airport. If there is nobody in the FBO there is a list of restaurants by the phone, or in a book.

Key West or Staniel Cay if you're allowed the Bahamas.

Key West is always fun ,usually a lot happening.Also like the Bahamas

While you are at FXE be sure to check out their pilots shop. It is one of the largest around. And there is a pretty good restaurant on field at FXE.
If you are down there any way, Key West or Marathon Key are good spots and neat flights.

One of my favorite places is Everglades Airpark (X01). There are several restaurants that will pick you up and return you to the airport. If there is nobody in the FBO there is a list of restaurants by the phone, or in a book.

What is the name of the Pilot shop at FXE?

Sebring KSEF had a good on field restaurant the last time I checked though being inland it lacks the glitter and excitement of the keys.

Sebring KSEF had a good on field restaurant the last time I checked though being inland it lacks the glitter and excitement of the keys.

I like that restaurant too.

If you would enjoy flying across the state, Venice, FL KVNC has a great restaurant one mile away on the Beach, Sharkeys. Hard to beat a nice lunch with a Gulf View. You can walk the mile or call the restaurant and they will send out a complimentary shuttle.

Get to Key West before sunset and then make your way to the pier where they have a sunset party every night. Then you can fly back over US 1 to main land for a nice night flight. Don't leave too late I think the FBO closes at about 7ish. You might see what the procedure is to leave after dark. Or have some drinks and spend the night. Their is a good 4 star hotel right at the airport-walking distance. Great pool, walk to the beach, has outside bar.....it is like being in Grand Cayman Islands but still have great food.

I can only do a day trip as Fiancee would kill me as she will be back at hotel....Keys sounds nice, or a trip across the state.

:confused: Why aren't you taking her?

She HATES flying in any plane....the only requirement she has for me to fly is that I text her before I take off and when I land....she knows its a losing battle to try to stop me. Smart woman....lol

She HATES flying in any plane....the only requirement she has for me to fly is that I text her before I take off and when I land....she knows its a losing battle to try to stop me. Smart woman....lol

UH! OH!

You are the one that will be fighting the losing battle.

Yes my fiancée had to agree to flying before she could be my fiancée. Now many years into the marriage she has decided that flying is not for her.

Hangar 63 is the pilot shop, Jet Cafe is the restaurant...the line guys will swing you over in a golf cart or you can walk across the ramp.

1380341_10153323357875265_624243848_n.jpg

Take her to the hotel in the Keys and the sunset party. Maybe that will change her mind.

Take her to the hotel in the Keys and the sunset party. Maybe that will change her mind.

My flying club had a hangar BBQ a couple of weeks ago...I got her in the plane she refused to shut the door....I don't think a flight in a small plane will work....she gets nervous on big jets.

Maria signed up for a free account with Flight aware now every time my tail number takes off or gets into the system she gets an email NxxxP took off 15 minutes ago.

One day she called me and said your plane just took off! She forgot to take the N6496R off when I sold it. She had both planes listed. it gives her peace of mind.

She and I have not taken a long xcountry together. She is good for a night flight when its cool but she cannot handle more than 40-50 minutes without getting ill...

She did take 4 hrs of lessons 'pitch hitters"' to help her find the field, call ATC and land the plane in an emergency. But she is not with me enough for that to matter.

If you or your CFI knows someone at Ocean Reef, this private community on the northern edge of the keys has a private airfield that would be very close. It's a beautiful club with lots of amenities. They're very exclusive, though, almost to a fault. Back in my college days, my friends enjoyed faking an approach on our way back from the lower keys, on our return to Tamiami, and I remember one time the security guard drove his golf cart onto the runway to keep us from landing, all the while yelling at us on the Unicom with his handheld.

If you or your CFI knows someone at Ocean Reef, this private community on the northern edge of the keys has a private airfield that would be very close. It's a beautiful club with lots of amenities. They're very exclusive, though, almost to a fault. Back in my college days, my friends enjoyed faking an approach on our way back from the lower keys, on our return to Tamiami, and I remember one time the security guard drove his golf cart onto the runway to keep us from landing, all the while yelling at us on the Unicom with his handheld.

You have to have a club member in the plane to land at Ocean Reef or be picking one up.

You have to have a club member in the plane to land at Ocean Reef or be picking one up.

in another thread someone said that it can be quite expensive to land at Ocean Reef if you do not have permission.

in another thread someone said that it can be quite expensive to land at Ocean Reef if you do not have permission.

Yep, because the only way to get permission is to be operating for a club member.

Jet café is one of the best if not the best airport restaurants I have ever gone too. Their food is more nouvelle cuisine than anything else. Sebring, Okeechobee, Punta Gorda, and Lakeland are all within an hours flight are more typical greasy spoon affairs. Sharkey's in my opinion is okay, but is more of an overpriced sports bar with a great view of the gulf. For that matter, there are any number of places in the Fort Lauderdale/Pompano area that are just as good if not better, and for my money the view of the Atlantic and the Fort Lauderdale Beach is much better. In Miami which is not all that far away, South Beach has a number of great restaurants as well. I have seen the restaurant at Vero Beach and it seems nice but have never tried it. Boca Raton has some great restaurants as well, but I do not remember seeing one at the airport, but then again was there when my mom was in hospice.

Back