Flying on the 4th of July

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
I think it would be fun to fly a night flight on the 4th of July and look down on the fire works. It seems to me that it should be safe enough, if you are at a sufficient altitude. Am I wrong? Has anyone here ever done it?

Unless you are down low and preferably in the middle of a bunch of displays, it's kinda unimpressive really.

Unless you are down low and preferably in the middle of a bunch of displays, it's kinda unimpressive really.

Yes, if a palm burst hits you square in the gas tank, that would be impressive indeed.

I've seen fireworks from the air a number of times; they're not that great. From the ground, the fireworks are much better.

I spent the last Chinese New Year in Hong Kong and they put on quite a show.

If tomorrow is any reflection of today, we'll be flying fires all day long. I'd love to be back on the ground and near a display at the end of the day, but we'll probably just be peeling ourselves out of the seat by then.

The only displays we will have around here will be in our imaginations.

Maybe a few short-lived ones put on by idiots who will get to know the loving caress of handcuffs.

I flew from San Juan to Florida on new years eve. All the cruise ships in the Caribbean were firing off fireworks. It was interesting to watch. But from 9 miles up it was not as good as from the ground. With a 1 year old baby. We will be watching from TV this year.

there have to be 10,000 threads on this here, the Red Board and the internet and 'Search' is your friend - from aloft you are looking down on city lights and fireworks - from the ground you are looking at them against a black sky. You tell me which one is more impressive and you will have answered your own question =

i'd rather watch them from the air, because then i'd be flying

Fireworks don't look better from altitude, but I bet you see more of them. We used to go up on the top of my seven story office building in central NJ and were able to see several different displays going off in various directions.

Well, having done this last night for the first time, I'm going to have to disagree with the majority. I thought it was awesome, as did my non-pilot passenger. We orbited about 2500 feet AGL above the most spectacular display, but could see at least 4-5 others in the distance. And best of all, no cigarette smoke, drunks, or unwashed malodorous people. And no traffic jams with everyone departing afterward.

I'm surprised by the majority who don't like fireworks from the air. Maybe it depends on what you like, and where you do it. I've only done it once so far, and found it quite spectacular. Maybe it's because I was circling about 1000' outside and 700' above tops of the highest bursts along with another locally based 172 that joined us mid-show. I used 70kias with 10 degrees flaps, and once trimmed got to snap pix like this. If I do it again we might try having some music on the intercom. I turned off strobes and landing lights, since we had flight following and it's very easy to see other traffic at night.

I liked the ability to see them clearly rather than shrouded in thick smoke like is often the case from the ground. Also enjoyed the city lights, reflection in the harbor, seeing where people had pulled cars over to watch in groups on the streets (and even the freeway!), and glimpses of the crowds lit up by the flashes.

By the time we landed a couple of minutes after the show, my wife and I were wearing warm smiles from the relaxation and beauty of it.

I agree with those here and in the other thread who said they liked flying the fireworks, and those who suggested that anyone curious try it yourself. I'm also glad most pilots don't like it, because it would be far less fun with a dozen other planes of various speeds buzzing around the show. :)

Back