Flying money is GONE

Tomahawk674

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tomahawk674
I'm a senior at Missouri Western State University, I'm a piano major, and after a certain time, you can start teaching lower level piano through a program at the school. This spring was my first time teaching.

I'm a fairly decent teachers, my own teachers who have observed me tell me so.

I had a decent ammount of students, which is good since I make $20/hour.

However, for the fall, only 3 remain, the rest split. Some said "yeah we'll be taking lessons" until I call again and then they said "oh we talked it over and we'll pass this time" or "we've found a local teacher".One called today asking to register, the office gives them my number, and when I call, they say the typicall "we've found another teacher, but thanks". I want to yell at them "why did you call us in the first place!". I can only imagine the quality of teacher that they get; I know who the good piano teachers in town are. We take piano pedagogy every semester of piano; we learn the best ways to teach the best technique, but parents have no way of telling if their kid is learning a good technique, or a bad one. I have many stories about crappy teachers and their effect. Bad piano technique can result in pain and injury in the more advanced years.

Of course, the first students to leave are always the worst ones. The most talented student I have, is not only sticking with me but I'll be teaching her twice a week now, to cover what we can't in the first lesson.

I spend too much time on campus to have any other job (and it's notlike I'm going to flip burgers, been there done that, never again). Now flying is going to be sporadic at best. ARGGGHHHHH. :mad:

Sorry, just have to vent.....

Last edited:
Ahhhhh, young hedgehopper, remembah: Where there is a will, there is a way.

If flying is what you want to do, then you will find a way. Sacrifice will be the order of the day. Many of us have been there.

Best wishes for you. And keep the faith!

Sorry to hear that Jav, Hang in there ,You'll find a way i'm sure.
Dave G

Tomahawk674 said:
I'm a senior at Missouri Western State University, I'm a piano major, and after a certain time, you can start teaching lower level piano through a program at the school. This spring was my first time teaching.

I'm a fairly decent teachers, my own teachers who have observed me tell me so.

I had a decent ammount of students, which is good since I make $20/hour.

However, for the fall, only 3 remain, the rest split. Some said "yeah we'll be taking lessons" until I call again and then they said "oh we talked it over and we'll pass this time" or "we've found a local teacher".One called today asking to register, the office gives them my number, and when I call, they say the typicall "we've found another teacher, but thanks". I want to yell at them "why did you call us in the first place!". I can only imagine the quality of teacher that they get; I know who the good piano teachers in town are. We take piano pedagogy every semester of piano; we learn the best ways to teach the best technique, but parents have no way of telling if their kid is learning a good technique, or a bad one. I have many stories about crappy teachers and their effect. Bad piano technique can result in pain and injury in the more advanced years.

Of course, the first students to leave are always the worst ones. The most talented student I have, is not only sticking with me but I'll be teaching her twice a week now, to cover what we can't in the first lesson.

I spend too much time on campus to have any other job (and it's notlike I'm going to flip burgers, been there done that, never again). Now flying is going to be sporadic at best. ARGGGHHHHH. :mad:

Sorry, just have to vent.....

Bummer, but always hope. If you don't mind a little physical effort and water, I know several people who built a good bit of time washing and waxing airplanes. Also tends to get you into different and more interesting planes than the basic line trainer. Just a thought.

Does the local FBO, flight school owner have any kids...you could try suggesting that they trade piano lessons for flight time.

Len

I can sympathise. I haven't been up since June of last year. My flying budget was limited before then, but in June we had to buy a new car (earlier than expected), which added an expense that had to come from somewhere, and flying suffered.

I'm currently looking forward to December. December marks my last alimony payment. :D Flying will follow soon after! :)

Greebo said:
I can sympathise. I haven't been up since June of last year. My flying budget was limited before then, but in June we had to buy a new car (earlier than expected), which added an expense that had to come from somewhere, and flying suffered.
You're supposed to give up on discretionary expenses. Like food!:goofy:

YOU HAD FLYING MONEY? I mean, $ devoted to flying?
I thought we all used money meant for other things, like kid's college, retirement, rent payments; food was mentioned?!
j/k!

Actually most pilots (including myself) I know had to suspend flying for some part of their lives due to...usually $$. And those who had the bug bad managed, somehow to get back at it.

Hmm, you mentioned pianos and...Injury and Pain? I had no idea it was such a rough hobby!
Pedagogy...I must look that one up too!

Ahh--conservatory days. I remember. . . . Yes, it is very difficult making a living teaching private lessons, especially on piano. You have to make a name for yourself in some way. One thing you might consider doing is going to the local elementary and secondary schools and shake some hands. Also, consider going to the local Sunday Schools and Chinese/Korean/Hebrew Schools. The types of parents who bring their kids to these schools are the same type who value music.

I did all of this when I was starting out. Even though a concert might bring in $3000, this only happened every now and then.

Good luck. If you are sincere and dedicated when you teach, you WILL develop a following.

I talked to my piano teacher today and discussed my situation. He didn't say we could do much except wait. He did tell me that my teaching evaluations came in (student fill these out and mail them in later) were very very good. It is very satisfying to hear that I'm becoming a proficient teacher.

I'll have to find some creative ways to get some new students. The before mention suggestions seem pretty good, I will try those.

Last edited:
Check out the book Guerilla Marketing. It is meant as a handbook for marketing small businesses. However, in your case, it may help for you to think of yourself as a small business. You just need to think up creative and effective ways to market yourself.

Tomahawk674 said:
I talked to my piano teacher today and discussed my situation. He didn't say we could do much except wait.

Nothing in life has come to anyone by "waiting". Your teacher is wrong. Get off your *ss and cut lawns, wash planes, work at McD's (or is that beneath you?), market yourself, get a higher paying job, etc.

Aviation is a very expensive avocation. You don't see many teachers flying airplanes for that reason. If you are really serious and passionate about flying, you may want to consider a career change while you are still in school.

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
Hmm, you mentioned pianos and...Injury and Pain? I had no idea it was such a rough hobby!

You ever fall off of one of those benches on your head as a 5 year old....man that hurts...or have that key cover fall on your fingers...one of the reasons I took up flying...much safer.

:<)

Len

Tomahawk674 said:
The before mention suggestions seem pretty good, I will try those.

I forget what we payed the pianist/organist for our wedding but it was probably about $200 (13 years ago this October) for about 2 hours worth of work.

We met with her about a week or so before our wedding for about 15 minutes where she asked what songs we wanted played and made some suggestions. On the day of she played various appropriate songs while people were being seated and during the ceremony. She also played after the ceremony at the reception hall while people were gathering - having drinks and snacks while we had our pictures taken.

I imagine there are a number of ways to "advertise" for this kind of service...talk to wedding planners, post a professional looking note at places of worship. If you are good and people like you the brides will recomend you to their friends (they typically get married in bunches).

You may have to make a dollar investment such as a nice tux (black, conservative - will last a life time - incentive not to gain weight) and a time investment - learn the right songs (I did not know that "Here Comes the Bride" is not played in a Catholic Church), create marketing material.

Keep in mind that it will probably put a crimp on your weekends with Friday evening weddings becoming popular, the traditional Saturday wedding for Christians and Sunday wedding being traditional for those of the Jewish faith. As a kid I worked with a wedding photographer - we used to do 2 or 3 ceremonies each weekend.

Also, we met the organist as she played at our former church which was also a paying job for her. As my wife was on the church finance group I used to know what she was paid, I forget the exact number but it was probably on the order of $100 for 2 Masses each Sunday (less than 3 hours total time including waiting time between masses - again this "rate" goes back more than 10 years).

Len

Back