Flying Magazine: AMA Lobbyists to Oppose DL Medical

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
"An AMA committee voted to oppose the FAA's proposed driver's license medical by directing lobbying efforts in Washington, D.C., to defeat the rule change."

Read more at http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/goin...-secret-3rd-class-medical#u2wjV8vRYw1Z64CT.99

The members who offered testimony in favor of opposition to the change cited arguments all too common in this ongoing debate. According to McCoy, these include:

1. That pilots operating under a driver's license medical would represent a danger to commercial aircraft, constituting a public health concern.

2. That AMEs frequently find unreported health issues during the certificate exam that would disqualify a pilot.

3. That a license is really an "unrestricted ticket" and that AMEs offer the last line of defense to make sure the skies are safe.

4. That most pilots are "infrequent fliers," which adds stress and puts them at greater health risk.

The tone of the discussion, according to McCoy's report, verged on disrespectful to pilots. One AME, he said, asked during his testimony, “Have you seen those guys hanging around the airport? You need me to make sure they are safe to fly.” The comment, McCoy said, was greeted by laughter from those in attendance.

Last edited:
The AMA supported the ACA so why would anybody be surprised they could be so off the mark for this issue as well? The AMA is more of a politicitized physician's lobby and I would never join. I don't agree with their reasoning.

Back