Flying kids...

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
I love taking kids up flying lately. I always require a parent to ride along and belt the kid in the back, usually with a booster seat so they can see out the window. I think the back of the front seats probably makes a C172 seem more like a car since they can't see all of the instruments. Just a guess, of course.

I think I have more issues with the parents than the kids. Note the expressions in the attached photos (my niece and nephew on separate flights). Mom went up with niece, Carolyn, who was the expected cryin', throwing fit child (major worrier). So, Mom told me NOT to say what might be happening (we're going to turn, we're going up, etc..) and just let her figure it out. Great passenger, pointing out things but staying quiet so I could listen to ATC.

On the other hand, Dad was so keyed up with the whole thing that poor Nicholas just didn't seem to be having much fun. He's usually the fearless one (tried to ride my 1-year old, high strung GSD who was growling at the time). Dad kept asking how he was feeling, is he scared, etc.. Sheesh. I think DAD was more worried than Nicholas!

So what's your worst kid flying experience?

Brian,

Great photos. I actually try to make sure the parents stay on the ground when I fly kids. Kids really pick up on the tension if the parents are on board. I've flown quite a few young eagles and have had almost 100% positive experiences. The worst experiences come with the older kids who think they should get to fly the airplane, have flown young eagles a dozen times previously, etc. The young kids really enjoy it and love sitting up front - less chance of air sickness too.

I still remember my very first flight in a GA airplane... with my dad and his instructor in a C150 when I was about 7. I stood in the baggage compartment while my dad practiced touch & goes. I figure if it made that big of an impression on me, maybe - just maybe - one of these kids will catch the bug.

Keep it up! You're doing good work.

Chip

I've only taken a few kids up - each time they were in the back seat while a parent was in the front, but each time the parents were very enthusiastic about flying as well.

So far the only problem with kids I've had is giving a 4 yr. old a headset with a mic and having him want to hear his voice so he woulnd't keep the mic up away from his mouth like we told him. (But fortunately his big sister would move it for us :) )

Hi y'all!

From my experience taking kids, I’d say it all depends on the particular kids, their age, the circumstances, and the parents. I just try to be flexible and get a feel for the situation.

Little tiny kids you’re taking for the parent’s sake cause the really little ones have NO idea what’s happening. But then you’re making somebody (parents) happy so that’s OK.

When you take several happy and excited kids at one time it’s a real exercise in being focused on flying, especially in the pattern. If younger kids get really noisy and I can’t hear the other traffic, I just unplug them from the intercom, and they don’t usually notice the difference.

I’ve got a lot of Young Eagle stories, ninety nine percent of them happy and positive. I will say, those thank-you notes are priceless and I have saved all of them; some are still on my refrigerator in the house and in the hangar.

Our local middle school is involved in a statewide reading program called the Mark Twain reading program. Now, as a reward for completing the series of books, the kids get to go flying with us. The librarian told us that she used to have only 10 or 15 or so a year involved in the program. Now the kids know they get to fly if they finish reading all the books; she currently has 100 kids for us to take flying this year. Anybody want to come help? :)

Some of the Young Eagles I’ve taken over the years are pilots now and a few are even in aviation as a career.

It’s very rewarding to take kids flying and expose them to the wonder of flight. What could be better than sharing your love of flight with a child?

Giving rides to kids has been by far the most rewarding aspect of flying for me. The most memorable of these was a very sick young man (10yrs old) that had never flown or traveled outside of his community. It was the best hour I ever put on the Hobbs meter and it was hard to tell who had more fun that day. It really opened my eyes to the things I had taken for granted.

I'm the biggest kid I have ever flown with, :D , but I guess that doesnt count. :rolleyes:

My 5 year old daughter likes to sit in the back and sing. "The wheels on the bus" gets pretty tiresome on a long X-C flight. But she loves flying so it is some consolation. That is why they have that little switch on the com panel that says "pilot only" "crew" and "all". ATC likes it when I use "pilot only" so they don't get to share "the wheels on the bus". Even with the mic keyed, they occasionally hear it!

Jim G

After I got my license, I got into taking family and friends for rides (like everyone does). The middle of my three sisters kept bugging me about taking her and my niece flying, acting as if I had been excluding her (not so, but you know how that can go).

So.

One beautiful evening, I booked a nice little Warrior and took my sister, my son and my niece for a little joy ride. Whole drill, explained the preflight, briefing, etc., and all was perfect.

As we are departing - maybe 500 feet up - sister chimes in with, "You know, I was just thinking- what if we all died?"

What can you say to *that*? Before I could think up a snappy comeback (and I was in Class D still, too), my son chimes in with, "It's OK Aunt Julia, Dad's agood pilot."

That's my boy.

Last edited:
Hey all,
I haven't got my Private yet but im only a few hours away. My instructor is my grandpa. My little brother who is 10 went with me and grandpa on a trip a couple of months ago. He hasnt quit talking about it and can't wait to go again. I told him he could go with me anytime i go once i get my license.
I dont mind at all, he will enjoy it and it gives me a pretty good reason to be flying.

Maybe i will get my CFI and see if i can teach him when he gets a little older.

Greebo said:
So far the only problem with kids I've had is giving a 4 yr. old a headset with a mic and having him want to hear his voice so he woulnd't keep the mic up away from his mouth like we told him. (But fortunately his big sister would move it for us :) )

That's the beauty of the Crew/Pilot Isolate on the Garmin 340. Let the kid chatter away to himself. ;) Also nice to let the PAX listen to MP3s while you deal with ATC or are getting ready to land.

No experience yet, but someday there will be grandkids to introduce to aviation. My daughter has flown with me, so she knows I can get from point A to point B in one piece, and will do so with her kids (when she has some). They'll grow up thinking that this is the normal way to travel. At least, that's the plan.

Ghery

Portable DVD players and gameboys (connected to their own headsets) are life savers.

My kids (2 girls, 8 and 11) have flown with me since day 1.

After a particularly long trip back from the East Coast in our 172 we arrived back home and tossed everything in the car for the short drive home. In less than 30 seconds they started to fight! I just lost it laughing - 2228 miles, 11 days, in the plane, NO fights - 30 seconds, <1 mile in the car and fights!

They are also completely unconcerned about they quality of your landing technique. After a particularly (lets just say) "bumpy" landing and subsequent go-around on a very windy day, which left me in a cold sweat, my daughter looked over her book and said - "Wow! That was fun!" If only DEs were that forgiving! LOL

S.

You People ned to get involved in Young Eagle Flights, I bought my plane in Feb. 2003 and have flown 85 kids so far, most of them are Special needs kids but that what our fly-in is about. If anyone is interested our fly-in this year will be on May 7th at CXY in Harrisburg Pa. come join us,P.S. you need to be a EA member to fly the kids with us Dave G.

Kids are fun! Two years ago I took my daughter then 7 up for the first time. Its crazy what kids like she got all excited about the propwash ( I cranked the engine with the Tiger Canopy open) but then fell asleep during flight and subsequent landing. As of last year she sat right seat and read me the raidals off the Low Altitude charts and VOR freq ( yes I double checked them) While my wife sat in the back reading her Fashion mags Go Figure.

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
Kids are fun! Two years ago I took my daughter then 7 up for the first time. Its crazy what kids like she got all excited about the propwash ( I cranked the engine with the Tiger Canopy open) but then fell asleep during flight and subsequent landing. As of last year she sat right seat and read me the raidals off the Low Altitude charts and VOR freq ( yes I souble chceked them) While my wife sat in the back reading her Fashion mags Go Figure.

Adam. Every kid I take up falls asleep, including our son, now 20 who always either fell asleep or played video games. This flying stuff may actually be boring!

My wife who usually sits right seat has been known to:

A. Balance our check book.
B. Read "Oprah" magazines.
C. Sleep
D. Sleep
E. Sleep
F. C, D & E

Sigh... I've flown about 300 kids, mostly Young Eagles, and my 2 are the only ones who don't like it!!! My 8 yr old daughter actually started coming around but often gets sick in the back seat, while in the front seat she does stalls by herself (well, almost by herself - she thinks so anyway!) My 10 yr old is a much more serious problem - he HATES to fly. Hates it. He gets all pale, stops talking, and while he's never gotten sick looks really bad while we're flying. I can't figure out what's going on and he hasn't been very helpful other than to say he doesn't like it. I'm open to suggestions but I think I've tried everything already!

Bill: Have you?

1) Spoken to him about why he hates it. Some people don't like it b/c they are afraid. Some aren't afraid they just don't like getting the "Queasy" feeling. Some don't like small spaces. Kids are very very perceptive, they pick up on the smallest things. We as pilots often talk about crashes, engine failures or other aviation mishaps with our fellow pilots an our non flying friends who turn to us for info on a crash. Sometimes when kids overhear this they get scared and don't understand get anxious and button up. A few weeks ago I told my wife that I regreated not having served in the armed forces and we were discussing when I registered for the draft just after they did away with it. My daughter was very quiet for a while ( very unlike her) she letter fessed up to my wife that she heard us and though I was going to go to war.

2) Let your son sit right seat and fly the plane. Perhaps the sense of control will help reduce any fears or get rid of the quesy feeling

Rudy said:
Hey all,
I haven't got my Private yet but im only a few hours away. My instructor is my grandpa. My little brother who is 10 went with me and grandpa on a trip a couple of months ago. He hasnt quit talking about it and can't wait to go again. I told him he could go with me anytime i go once i get my license.
I dont mind at all, he will enjoy it and it gives me a pretty good reason to be flying.

Maybe i will get my CFI and see if i can teach him when he gets a little older.

That's a neat Idea keeping flight training in the family. Be sure to let us know when you get that license to learn.

maximus said:
That's a neat Idea keeping flight training in the family. Be sure to let us know when you get that license to learn.

Actually, since he posted that, he rec'd his PPL. He was the first PPL here on PoA!

grattonja said:
My 5 year old daughter likes to sit in the back and sing. "The wheels on the bus" gets pretty tiresome on a long X-C flight. But she loves flying so it is some consolation. That is why they have that little switch on the com panel that says "pilot only" "crew" and "all". ATC likes it when I use "pilot only" so they don't get to share "the wheels on the bus". Even with the mic keyed, they occasionally hear it!

Jim G

I am sure the controler would get a kick out of that!

Dave Siciliano said:
Niece
in the front seat
of the Baron!!
Dave, she's such a cutie! I see she has her hands on the yoke. A future pilot perhaps? :)

Is that your new Baron?

Diana said:
Dave, she's such a cutie! I see she has her hands on the yoke. A future pilot perhaps? :)

Is that your new Baron?

Thanks Diana!!

She came to a get together in Wisconsin where Moxie, Lance and Kent came out. She's graduating from HS June 3rd and I'm headed up thata way for the event. She's the oldest that has gone on the trips each summer--and kept the other two in line!! She's the one that took the Gaston's vid I posted. :rolleyes:

This is the B-55 I've been using to build ME time. The 58P contract has been finalized and should be signed tomorrow. Then, we'll go to the pre-buy inspections. With any luck, I'll be in training shortly after that!! :redface:

Best,

Dave

grattonja said:
My 5 year old daughter likes to sit in the back and sing. "The wheels on the bus"

Teach her new appropriate words for the song.
"The prop on the plane goes round and round..." :goofy:

Disclaimer: It's one of those days...again...

fgcason said:
Teach her new appropriate words for the song.
"The prop on the plane goes round and round..." :goofy:

Disclaimer: It's one of those days...again...

And: "The wheels on the plane go up and down..."

I'm taking my first kid up this weekend. A 4 year old that according to his parents eats, sleeps, and is always talking airplanes. Wants to wear his air force t-shirt when we fly this weekend. LOL...

I am looking forward to it. I am meeting his father and the boy at the airfield while his wife and my wife go out and register for my wife's baby shower.

I have a question though that just came up today for me. I was planning on the 4 year old sitting in the back seat of the 172R while his dad rode up front with me. However everyone seems to think it would be really great if the little one sat up front.

Think it will be OK to have him up front with me in a booster seat while his dad sits in the back? Since I have never flown with a child yet I figure I might ask.

:blueplane:

glpilot said:
Think it will be OK to have him up front with me in a booster seat while his dad sits in the back? Since I have never flown with a child yet I figure I might ask.

Personal experience: the kid won't be able to see over the panel or out the side in the front seat, car seat or not. Put him in the back. He'll be excited enough as it is and really won't know the difference. I think the distance between the side window and seat is actually better for a car seat/booster seat arrangement anyway.

Get him a headset and talk to him. In my experience, they tend to get quiet right after rotation. Do NOT warn him about what's coming. Let him experience it. Every kid who's parent keeps asking if they're "okay" all the time has always had a less than enthusiastic time. They're cool an hour later, having forgotten the bad parts, if any. But Mom or Dad's tension is detectable by a child. Shut the adult up if he/she starts that.

Most of all, have fun!

Thanks Brian, that alone may be enough to put this future flyer in the back seat. I want to make sure he can look outside and not be stuck looking at the smoking prohibited placard. Although that's not a bad thing to instill to the young one.

I'll be sure to let him sit up front before/after when we are on the ground and get his hands on stuff.

glpilot said:
I'll be sure to let him sit up front before/after when we are on the ground and get his hands on stuff.
That's what I do as well. Take out the gust lock and let him watch the ailerons move as he turns the yoke. It fascinates kids.

My nine-year old (now ten) nephew and I went up. That's about the earliest age I'd put up front, I think, unless he/she is a big kid. He could see over the side by leaning up a little but wasn't even close to the top of the panel. It was smooth air out so I let him unbuckle and drive for a while. He had to get on his knees, though. He didn't do too bad, either, all things considered. Pic attached.

Back