Flying into Daytona 500

Larryo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Larryo
All,

I'm looking for some advise with flying into Daytona for the 500 race on Sunday Feb 15th.

Not too worried about getting in, but am concerned about getting out after the race.

How early must one depart to avoid delays? I'm picking up a buddy that is thinking of leaving the race early... maybe 30 minutes, and beating the rush. Thoughts?

Another thing, they say you can walk from Yelvington to the race track... is this practical?

Last edited:
All,

I'm looking for some advise with flying into Daytona for the 500 race on Sunday Feb 15th.

Not too worried about getting in, but am concerned about getting out after the race.

How early must one depart to avoid delays? I'm picking up a buddy that is thinking of leaving the race early... maybe 30 minutes, and beating the rush. Thoughts?

Doesn't the race arrival/departure get an STMP with a reservation required?

man i'd just stay for the race, and not be in a hurry to leave.

feel free to get me an extra ticket and pick me up on the way :)

Thanks for the replys....

I'm not worried about the STMP, I've ordered VFR weather. I'm worried about the delays.

As for leaving early, not my choice, I'm just following orders.

You may be restricted by the "open air sporting event" TFR to going IFR for the arrival or departure, I haven't looked at it in a while but it generally does lock down the airports next to those stadiums/racetracks/whatever to event support only. Of course, the airport you use may be far enough away to not be affected.

You may be restricted by the "open air sporting event" TFR to going IFR for the arrival or departure, I haven't looked at it in a while but it generally does lock down the airports next to those stadiums/racetracks/whatever to event support only.

Huh? All you need is to be "authorized by ATC". That doesn't mean IFR, and it doesn't mean the airport is closed (except for those who can't/don't actually read NOTAMs). :no: I've done it...

FDC 3/1862 - PART 1 OF 2 SPECIAL NOTICE. THIS NOTICE MODIFIES
FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED IN FDC NOTAM 2/0199 TO COMPLY
WITH STATUTORY MANDATES DETAILED IN SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7.
EFFECTIVE 0303061100 UTC (0600 LOCAL 03/06/03) UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS,
COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT, ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE
OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED AT AND BELOW 3,000 FEET AGL WITHIN A THREE NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF
30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE IN WHICH A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL, OR MAJOR MOTOR SPEEDWAY EVENT IS OCCURING. ALL PREVIOUSLY ISSUED WAIVERS TO FDC NOTAM 2/0199 ARE RESCINDED. THOSE WHO MEET ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA MAY REAPPLY FOR A WAIVER TO THESE RESTRICTIONS:
(A) FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF AN EVENT, STADIUM, OR OTHER VENUE,
INCLUDING (IN THE CASE OF A SPORTING EVENT) THE TRANSPORT OF
EQUIPMENT OR PARTS, TEAM MEMBERS, OFFICIALS OF THE GOVERNING
BODY, THE IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS AND GUESTS OF SUCH TEAMS,
AND OFFICIALS TO AND FROM THE EVENT, STADIUM, OR OTHER VENUE,
END PART 1 OF 2. WIE UNTIL UFN.

FDC 3/1862 - PART 2 OF 2 SPECIAL NOTICE.
(B) FOR BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR ANY BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER,
(C) FOR SAFETY AND SECURITY PURPOSES OF THE EVENT, STADIUM, OR
OTHER VENUE.
THIS RESTRICTION DOES NOT APPLY TO;
(A) THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY
PURPOSES INCLUDING AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING FROM AN
AIRPORT USING STANDARD AIR TRAFFIC PROCEDURES;

(B) DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, OR AEROMEDICAL FLIGHT
OPERATIONS THAT ARE IN CONTACT WITH ATC.
STADIUM SITE LOCATIONS AND INFORMATION REGARDING WAIVER APPLICATIONS
IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7 CAN BE OBTAINED
FROM THE FAA WEBSITE AT HTTP://WWW.FAA.GOV/ATS/ATA/WAIVER OR BY
CALLING 571-227-1322.
END PART 2 OF 2. WIE UNTIL UFN.

Huh? All you need is to be "authorized by ATC". That doesn't mean IFR, and it doesn't mean the airport is closed (except for those who can't/don't actually read NOTAMs). :no: I've done it...

OK. If ATC will authorize it, fine. I read that to mean that you could overfly the event as part of arriving departing another airport. But if you've flown to the Daytona race recently, great. Was there an STMP?

Tim, if you read it that way that would imply that ALL traffic into and out of DAB would stop. Don't think that is the case.

OK. If ATC will authorize it, fine. I read that to mean that you could overfly the event as part of arriving departing another airport. But if you've flown to the Daytona race recently, great. Was there an STMP?

Larry specifically stated that he's going VFR to avoid any STMP.

OK. Good luck on the exit. I'd think that if it's busy enough for an STMP, that getting a VFR departure just before race end will either be extremely difficult (makes me think of the standard delays departing TEB VFR) if others have a similar idea, or possibly (but not likely IMO) easy if others are watching the race and you're the only airplane going.

Larry specifically stated that he's going VFR to avoid any STMP.

Yes, VFR will work, but I'd go IFR if necessary. My experience with STMP is that VFR is a piece of cake. Used to do it when I commuted to ORD for work.

I'd love to hear from folks that have actually flown to and from this event.

I've flown into other smaller races, and my buddy flies into Talledega for the race and THATs a ZOO.

I'd love to hear from folks that have actually flown to and from this event.
Sorry to pile on more hearsay, but I had a friend in Orlando who would fly from Orlando to Daytona (~55 nm) because he thought the air traffic was less of a hassle than the ground traffic. FWIW ...

I flew into Lewis University in Chicago for a Sunday Nascar race a year or two ago. They had set up a temporary tower to handle all of the traffic. I arrived 4 or 5 hours before the race started with no problem at all, then left the race maybe 30-45 minutes before it ended. Just as we were climbing out, I heard the barrage of helicopters leaving the race headed back to the airport. Basically, it seemed like if you beat them, then you were in the clear. I don't have a clue what it would be like in Daytona; the track was probably 10 miles from the airport in Chicago. I was VFR both ways and never had any sort of delay at all, but it was a smaller race than Daytona. Good luck, and be sure to read all of the notams!

Last edited:
I have flown to Daytona for a few races and have never had a problem getting in or out. I have always gone VFR though.

Precision Aviation (Previously Lynch) is the FBO I use and they are great. I just made a reservation for this year. There is an event fee of $25 and a $25 handling fee which is waived with a 10+ gallon fuel purchase. They include parking, lunch and a shuttle ride, inside the perimeter of he airport, to the track.

As far as getting out. We have always left a little early and watched the end of the race on their big screen in the lobby. At the exit of the ramp there are stop signs with a frequency to monitor. When it is your turn ground will contact you. Give them N#, type, destination, VFR and ATIS and they will clear you to taxi.

GREAT CONTROLLERS AT KDAB and it is cheaper than parking your car for the day!!!!

I have flown to Daytona for a few races and have never had a problem getting in or out. I have always gone VFR though.

Precision Aviation (Previously Lynch) is the FBO I use and they are great. I just made a reservation for this year. There is an event fee of $25 and a $25 handling fee which is waived with a 10+ gallon fuel purchase. They include parking, lunch and a shuttle ride, inside the perimeter of he airport, to the track.

As far as getting out. We have always left a little early and watched the end of the race on their big screen in the lobby. At the exit of the ramp there are stop signs with a frequency to monitor. When it is your turn ground will contact you. Give them N#, type, destination, VFR and ATIS and they will clear you to taxi.

GREAT CONTROLLERS AT KDAB and it is cheaper than parking your car for the day!!!!

I am also flying in for the first time and have a reservation at SheltAir. Anyone have experience with them for the race day?

While, not real relevant to the topic at hand, I needed somewhere to blurt this out. For those who follow NASCAR, there was a truck race tonight. I happened to be scheduled for some traffic pattern practice. We stayed in Daytona, and flew the pattern during the race. It was cool, probably one of the most memorable pattern only flights I've had.

Regardless, have fun getting into Daytona. I'd venture to say, that 90% of the Embry Riddle operations are shut down on Saturday, and well, none will fly Sunday.

Back