Flying in the USVI

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
I'm pretty sure I've come across some posts here and there about some people who have flown to/in the USVI. I'm planning on visiting St Croix this March, and I would hate myself if i didn't do some flying down there. Please post anything and everything you have to say about flying there, i.e., unique rules that differ from those in the mainland, etc.

No significant changes from mainland rules, but *dons dispatch hat* remember that you must clear customs (not immigration) when flying from any USVI to PR or the mainland US. You can preclear if it is available on the island or land at an AOE on the mainland US or PR which is usually faster than preclearing most of the time.

You don't have to clear immigration because the USVIs are a US territory so eAPIS does not need to be filed. Due to various tax laws, Uncle Sam wants to levy taxes upon your return back into the US which is why you must clear customs.

That said, the reverse is not true. Mainland US or PR to USVI is completely domestic and requires no customs or immigration logistics to be coordinated. USVI to USVI is the same case -- nothing required.

Thanks. I will be flying in and out via commercial and just wanted to rent a plane for some sightseeing. If I go anywhere, it will be to St. Thomas, which appears to be no different than going to any other Class C airport. It's not far at all, but ~35NM over water isn't something I've done before.

Please forgive the thread-jack. Do you know anywhere around San Juan beside Isla Grande to rent an aircraft?
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

No Puerto Rico-VI TAC? I emailed wactac asking about this, and they say that the FAA doesnt publish one as far as they know. However, I see it on skyvector :confused:

No Puerto Rico-VI TAC? I emailed wactac asking about this, and they say that the FAA doesnt publish one as far as they know. However, I see it on skyvector :confused:

It does exist and can be purchased by most pilot shops online. The current revision is good through 10/20/11.

I just bought the PR-VI TAC online, but there is no sectional (I realized it was the WAC I was looking at). Maybe the sectional is what they were referring to.

The fbo down there has a DA-20 and a DA-40. The 20 has steam gages, and the 40 has a glass cockpit. Would it take more than a half hour checkout to become familiar with the glass, or would I be limited to the steam gages in the DA-20?

The fbo down there has a DA-20 and a DA-40. The 20 has steam gages, and the 40 has a glass cockpit. Would it take more than a half hour checkout to become familiar with the glass, or would I be limited to the steam gages in the DA-20?
Probably YES to both if you don't have any G1000 time.

Just let the instructor fly right seat and use the time to fly and sitesee, not just get checked out on glass.

So there isn't some way to put the G1000 into a 'passive' mode, where I dont need to use any of its functionality and have it simply display the same information as traditional gages?

So there isn't some way to put the G1000 into a 'passive' mode, where I dont need to use any of its functionality and have it simply display the same information as traditional gages?

Nope. You *have* to use it - It contains things like the radios and transponder. It doesn't take that much time to learn to read a tape airspeed indicator instead of a dial, though.

But really, what's the point of getting checked out down there if all you're going to do is a little sightseeing? Just throw a CFI in the right seat and do the sightseeing. Most checkout flights are maybe 1.5 hours, and 1.5 in a DA40 will cost you what 5 hours of CFI time generally will. So, if you're going for less than 5 hours of flying, it's cheaper to just pay the CFI to go with.

I guess I'll do that. Thing is, I wanted to take my girlfriend and another couple.

I guess I'll do that. Thing is, I wanted to take my girlfriend and another couple.

Well, in that case... I guess the DA20's not gonna work either. ;)

If I were you, I would call them and ask what their requirements are. The G1000 really isn't all that hard, especially for VFR use, especially if you're tech-savvy, especially if you've used a Garmin aviation unit before, especially if you have some time on the G1000 simulator before you go... It's not like you need 20 hours of instruction to get it if you're prepared.

Back