Flying In the Jumpseat... Can I?

rt4388

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rt4388
Just got hired on with an airline on the corporate side of things. I have my PPL. Any possible way I could fly in the jump seat? The non-rev benefits are great, but flying up front in an Airbus or Boeing would be even better!
I've looked at the FARs but as usual it looks like gibberish to me.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Just got hired on with an airline on the corporate side of things. I have my PPL. Any possible way I could fly in the jump seat? The non-rev benefits are great, but flying up front in an Airbus or Boeing would be even better!

Pre 9-11 and pre pilot's license I used to go up and ride in the jumpseat just by nicely asking the flight attendant to ask the captain if I could come up once we got to cruise. Spent a while up front in 777 on a transatlantic flight once. Those days are long gone
:-(

Pre 9-11 and pre pilot's license I used to go up and ride in the jumpseat just by nicely asking the flight attendant to ask the captain if I could come up once we got to cruise. Spent a while up front in 777 on a transatlantic flight once. Those days are long gone
:-(
So you don't think there is any possible way? Based off of what I read, it seems as though there aren't any FARs that directly prohibit it. Seems like its really left up to the airline and pilots discretion. I'll probably be non-reving Friday and Sunday so I can't decide if I should at least give it a shot and politely ask the FA or Gate Agent.

Probably not unless your corporate gig has a reciprocal agreement with a particular airline (ie Delta) or all the airlines. Also CASS comes into play, not sure how that works, if at all, with a 'corporate airline'. If you want mention your company name and one of the airline folks will chime in.

You'll have to be in CASS and may need a jumpseat authorization slip from the agent, depending on the airline. Sometimes you can ask the crew and they may or may not let you up. You'll defiantly need your crew ID, if one is given out on the corporate side.

Our airline only started requiring jumpseat forms in the last year or two. So during my training, before I was in CASS, I could just use my ID because most CAs didn't care for the new rules.

P.S. If you do have authorization for the seat, ALWAYS ALWAYS ask the Captain if you may catch a ride and have your stuff already in hand. Never get on and TELL the Captain you have the seat. I'll even throw you off if he/she isn't there yet.

Last edited:
Probably not unless your corporate gig has a reciprocal agreement with a particular airline (ie Delta) or all the airlines. Also CASS comes into play, not sure how that works, if at all, with a 'corporate airline'. If you want mention your company name and one of the airline folks will chime in.
I think he meant he was on the management side of the airline not an actual corporate job (ie NetJets)

Reciprocal agreements can be interesting! One of the coolest is with a helicopter company on the Gulf Coast. Their side of the agreement allowed us to fly down and receive a few hours of flight training on their helicopters.

I think he meant he was on the management side of the airline not an actual corporate job (ie NetJets)
Yea, I'm at the headquarters for a major airline. I'm really not looking to fly jumpseat often or on other airlines, just my own company. I figure that is probably my best bet. But again, I'm not sure if any FARs will prohibit me.

Yea, I'm at the headquarters for a major airline. I'm really not looking to fly jumpseat often or on other airlines, just my own company. I figure that is probably my best bet. But again, I'm not sure if any FARs will prohibit me.

Well being you're management (or any employee actually of your airline) you can request authorization from VP or Director of Flight Ops usually. Your airline may vary, but checking Flight Ops will get you started in the right direction.

Well being you're management you can request authorization from VP or Director of Flight Ops usually. Your airline may vary, but checking Flight Ops will get you started in the right direction.

I agree with mscard88. It's better and easier just to ask your Flight Ops Dept or even other employees in your Dept.

Working as a non-pilot at your company may allow options with flights there, which is mostly what you're asking? It sounds like you have a pilot's license(Pvt) on the side.

I would ask at work, someone will know the deal. There may be a paperwork drill of sorts to get it ironed out.

At Delta even the flight attendants can't ride up front. I doubt you'll get clearance to do so - as mentioned CASS is a big hurtle. It certainly can't hurt to ask, but don't be too surprised if they say no. The non-rev seats in the back are much more comfortable anyway!

Things have sure changed since 9/11. Used to be able to fly jump seat no problem, but pilots aren't too fond of having people sitting behind them, which is understandable. It's really the PIC's call, if he allows anyone else in the cockpit or not. They seem to be more open to allowing other pilots, or their girlfriend, than anyone else.

Things have sure changed since 9/11. Used to be able to fly jump seat no problem, but pilots aren't too fond of having people sitting behind them, which is understandable. It's really the PIC's call, if he allows anyone else in the cockpit or not. They seem to be more open to allowing other pilots, or their girlfriend, than anyone else.

You sir absolutely have no clue what you're talking about. You shouldn't post BS when you don't have a clue.

...P.S. If you do have authorization for the seat, ALWAYS ALWAYS ask the Captain if you may catch a ride and have your stuff already in hand. Never get on and TELL the Captain you have the seat. I'll even throw you off if he/she isn't there yet.

Hey, can have the whole can? ;)

You sir absolutely have no clue what you're talking about. You shouldn't post BS when you don't have a clue.
Bull. We have company jumpseat policy and the final word is: PIC has final say and they can basically have anyone in the cockpit they want. And, they have a strong union.

Last edited:
easy answer. NO unless you are in the CASS system, which is pretty much only qualified pilots, dispatchers, and a few others required to be there for a reason. ask the flight dept. it is spelled out in there flight manual.

bob

While you probably wont' get in the cockpit, you might be able to snivel some sim time at the HQ. Particularly if you know a few pilots there - we always end our recurrent training with plenty of time left in the sim block. Might be able to work in something there depending on the company.

14 CFR 121.547 -- Admission to flight deck.
(a) No person may admit any person to the flight deck of an aircraft unless the person being admitted is—
(1) A crewmember;
(2) An FAA air carrier inspector, a DOD commercial air carrier evaluator, or an authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board, who is performing official duties;
(3) Any person who—
(i) Has permission of the pilot in command, an appropriate management official of thepart 119 certificate holder, and the Administrator; and

(ii) Is an employee of—
(A) The United States, or
(B) Apart 119 certificate holder and whose duties are such that admission to the flightdeck is necessary or advantageous for safe operation; or

(C) An aeronautical enterprise certificated by the Administrator and whose duties are such that admission to the flightdeck is necessary or advantageous for safe operation.
(4) Any person who has the permission of the pilot in command, an appropriate management official of thepart 119 certificate holder and the Administrator. Paragraph (a)(2) of this section does not limit the emergency authority of the pilot in command to exclude any person from the flightdeck in the interests of safety.

(b) For the purposes of paragraph (a)(3) of this section, employees of the United States who deal responsibly with matters relating to safety and employees of the certificate holder whose efficiency would be increased by familiarity with flight conditions, may be admitted by the certificate holder. However, the certificate holder may not admit employees of traffic, sales, or other departments that are not directly related to flight operations, unless they are eligible under paragraph (a)(4) of this section.
(c) No person may admit any person to the flight deck unless there is a seat available for his use in the passenger compartment, except—
(1) An FAA air carrier inspector, a DOD commercial air carrier evaluator, or authorized representative of the Administrator or National Transportation Safety Board who is checking or observing flight operations;
(2) An air traffic controller who is authorized by the Administrator to observe ATC procedures;
(3) A certificated airman employed by the certificate holder whose duties require an airman certificate;
(4) A certificated airman employed by anotherpart 119 certificate holder whose duties with that part 119certificate holder require an airman certificate and who is authorized by the part 119 certificate holder operating the aircraft to make specific trips over a route;

(5) An employee of thepart 119 certificate holder operating the aircraft whose duty is directly related to the conduct or planning of flight operations or the in-flight monitoring of aircraft equipment or operating procedures, if his presence on the flightdeck is necessary to perform his duties and he has been authorized in writing by a responsible supervisor, listed in the Operations Manual as having that authority; and
(6) A technical representative of the manufacturer of the aircraft or its components whose duties are directly related to the in-flight monitoring of aircraft equipment or operating procedures, if his presence on the flightdeck is necessary to perform his duties and he has been authorized in writing by the Administrator and by a responsible supervisor of the operations department of thepart 119 certificate holder, listed in the Operations Manual as having that authority.

While you probably wont' get in the cockpit, you might be able to snivel some sim time at the HQ. Particularly if you know a few pilots there - we always end our recurrent training with plenty of time left in the sim block. Might be able to work in something there depending on the company.

You might even get to play Flight or see if you can do a loop in a 76.

@EvilEagle We always disconnect the flight controls and try to fly it with each person only controlling one flight control surface. Also what's really fun is taking the sim above it's simulation limits and putting it into a spin. I've actually gotten a 145 out of a flat spin without passing the preset crash limitations. But as I bet you know, PLEASE make sure the instructor turns off the crash motion. :D I got thrown out of my seat when my sim partner side swiped a mountain. LOL

You would need both CASS and a reciprocal agreement.

Even then, jumpseaters are usually expected to take a seat in the back if there is one.

Once you've done it, you'll never want to do it again. It's , the most uncomfortable boring place you can be on an airline. All the pretty lights and dials can only entertain you for so long, then you're just stuck there.

I don't have a good answer, but I got a good fake out last week. We fly charter for work every week (my day job), usually 737's. We were getting on the plane, (I forgot exactly how this whole thing got started), and one of my smart ass co-workers says, it's ok, he's a pilot to the mechanic who was actually standing at the door greeting passengers. Later after I was seated, the mechanic comes back and get's me and says, "The captain would like to see you". At this point, I'm thinking, well, might be a long shot, but it's charter so I might be about to get a ride up front. Ended up not being the case, just wanted to meet me and ask what kind of flying I did and what I flew. They said, Cherokee 140's? That's when it used to be fun! All in joking, they said they really enjoyed their job and wouldn't trade it. Still kicking myself for not asking for a ride up front though!

Once you've done it, you'll never want to do it again. It's , the most uncomfortable boring place you can be on an airline. All the pretty lights and dials can only entertain you for so long, then you're just stuck there.

Yup. Rode the j/s the other day. The CA had to use the lav and I was standing in the galley while he was in there. When he came out, he got a cup of coffee from the galley, then asked "Ready to go back to prison?"

Yup. Rode the j/s the other day. The CA had to use the lav and I was standing in the galley while he was in there. When he came out, he got a cup of coffee from the galley, then asked "Ready to go back to prison?"
It really depends on what airplane you are in.
A CJ200 or an Airbus?? Two different worlds.

Or is it an RJ200 ?? Can never keep that straight.

What Larry in TN said as well as what's in your company ops manual. That's your only answer.

What Larry in TN said as well as what's in your company ops manual. That's your only answer.
Nothing to do with company ops manual.

If you are in CASS, and have a reciprocal agreement, you can ride jumpseat.

No CASS there is no way to get in the cockpit. No reciprocal is likely not, but there may be wiggle room there.

No CASS there is no way to get in the cockpit. No reciprocal is likely not, but there may be wiggle room there.
CASS and a reciprocal agreement is one of the ways to get into the jumpseat. Read 14 CFR 121.547 for the others.

Bull. We have company jumpseat policy and the final word is: PIC has final say and they can basically have anyone in the cockpit they want. And, they have a strong union.

So you clear now that you're wrong? :rolleyes:

CASS and a reciprocal agreement is one of the ways to get into the jumpseat. Read 14 CFR 121.547 for the others.
No need to read anything. Unless you are a controller, dispatcher, and have a letter from our company DO there is no jumpseat available.
(Other than CASS of course).
The OP did not indicate that so I didn't include those options.

What's your point??
I'm trying to point out the realistic way to get the seat. Not sure of your angle.

Or, you have a good friend that is a captain for a foreign airline. A co-worker in S.E. Asia got to ride jump seat on a Vietnam Airlines 737 that way.

Real life experience, no lie.

But when? If it was before 9/11 I agree it could have occurred. A bit after 9/11 the feds tighten it up, then along came the CASS system. Look at post #22 above. I started airline flying in '89 and never saw a Captain's girl friend on the JS, or anyone unauthorized for that matter. But that was at my airline and management was strict with the JS.

My experience is from the early '80'stages to current. The Captain's girlfriend riding jumpseat does go back prior to 911, but my statement about the PIC having the final say about whom is riding jumpseat still stands.

My experience is from the early '80'stages to current. The Captain's girlfriend riding jumpseat does go back prior to 911, but my statement about the PIC having the final say about whom is riding jumpseat still stands.

Yes the Captain does have final say. However not allowing a pilot, or any other permitted rider such as company employees on the JS for bs reasons usually will cause that Captain into the Chief Pilot's office.

Back