Flying in Germany

rcaligan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
rcaligan
Well, my wife got orders! This summer we're shipping out to Stuttgart, Germany for a 3-year tour. Does anyone know about GA flying over there (if there is any)? Thanks!

Gaining unit: AFELM EUCOM JE / STUTTGART-VAIHING

rcaligan said:
Well, my wife got orders! This summer we're shipping out to Stuttgart, Germany for a 3-year tour. Does anyone know about GA flying over there (if there is any)? Thanks!

Gaining unit: AFELM EUCOM JE / STUTTGART-VAIHING

One of my private flight students was over there in Germany and said after he came back that it was really expensive for GA so he didn't pursue it plus, it was a wake up call to him just how good we have it here in the USA in so many ways -in all ways really.

Does soaring interest you, Roy? There is a soaring club that operates near Stuttgart that may be an answer to your flying Jones. GA is not dead in Germany but it is horribly expensive and not nearly as available as you might find it here. Back in prehistoric time (80's 90's) there were many US flying clubs around (I was a member of the Darmstadt club) that really catered to the US folks stationed there. Costs, closures and the draw down that have happened since basically have taken the clubs with them. Perhaps when you get you sponsor letter from Stuttgart MILCOM there will be some info on a local club. Aviation fun fact: I was probably the last civilian airplane to land at Munich-Reim before it closed for good. Joseph Strauss opened and GA was shut out for good. Sort of like Meigs but with a German accent.

Don't some of the military bases have flying clubs?

Roy, my pal Bernhard emailed this to me:
<Hi Dave, what a very, very strange coincidence. I had a job interview two weeks ago and got a call on Wednesday that I will get the job.Now, get this, I will start working as a fire fighter for the US Army in Stuttgart on March 15.
There are plenty of smaller airports around the area. The place where our UL (ultralight) is based is quite a distance away from Stuttgart, but I am sure I can find out more about places close to Stuttgart. What kind of planes does he want to fly? I will keep my eyes and ears open and let you know what found out. >
send me your email address and I can put you in touch with him if youd like.

Remember this:

die Flugzeugsteueranlage

Have fun in Germany & drink lots of Beer...but no flying, or is that different in Germany?

In the red board thread I forgot to mention the fuel and airport cost factors so I'll place them here. As of last Sunday, avfuel (100LL) in Germany is running E$1.95/liter, which equates to $2.33/liter, which equates to ~$8.50/gallon. We also paid ~E$5.90 (~$7.04) in landing fees at the equivalent of Smoketown, PA for a $100 hamburger lunch run. I didn't see the departure airport fees, but in past experience they were ~$15.00 out and back.

Thanks for the responses! I should have mentioned that I was a CFI in my original post.

As far as military flying clubs go, there's not one that I know of at Stuttgart. Overseas flying clubs are rare.

Hi,

I´m Spanish, not German, but being it at 6 Cessna flight hours from my home airport and having flown it a couple of times, I hope I can help in some way.

There is GA in Germany, don´t worry. They are, with France and the UK the most "Cessna populated" countries in Europe. You´ll find plenty of grass strips, airports... lots of airfields scattered all around. The problem is, or better, the problems are:

-If there´s a grass strip there´s a Dangerous airspace right South East to it, an international airport right North, an Aif Force base right South West, so you have a narrow VFR corridor to get out that mess.
-It´s WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. All the data Ed provided are quite accurate, leaving you with a final total price of some $200 per hour on a regular 172 (the plane itself, the landing fees, the...).
-It´s possible for you finding a N- airplane there, but it will be a hard job. This leads us to the next point.
-Next point: You´ll need to get a JAA license. Converting a FAA license into a JAA license consists, more or less, in joinning a school, writting the tests and the check ride. The total cost of this can be pretty high because you´ll be need to fly some dual, and with these prices...

Anyhow, there are flying clubs. Every country has its own National Flying Club and, be sure, most of that airfields will have one. No idea about Stuttgart itself, but check around it. On my flights I´ve seen billions of airports, not to mention the grassfields with some Robin or Rallye down there.

My two cents.

Back