Flying in Canada... Questions

ntbjounin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jounin
Can anyone tell me or link me to a site that describes what I have to do when flying in Canada?

I'm ferrying a skymaster from Vancouver to El Paso next week. Does Canada have any ridiculous laws like "a/c must be insured by canadian insurance company" or something like that?

What papers will I need to have all ready to show Customs in the US? I'm thinking of BLI as my POE airport. Anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks.

Well sure...

http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/intl/canada/

Unfortunately you have to be a AOPA member for that site.

Canada requires US or Canadian liability insurance.

Are you looking for specific flying advice for there too?

Are you familiar with the National Security NOTAM governing cross-border operations?

IN addition to all paperwork that you would expect to have to provide a FAA inspector on a ramp check (as a starting point for what might be expected for US Customs) you will need a passport, and will need to purchase a US customs sticker either in advance or at the time you arrive in US Customs.

As for what you might need when importing an aircraft that was purchased in Canada and brought into the US for the first time...I have no information.

Last edited:
thank you, it's an N numbered airplane. yes i'll be sure to file IFR and therefore comply with all rules etc...

its the post landing stuff i'm worried about.

thank you, it's an N numbered airplane. yes i'll be sure to file IFR and therefore comply with all rules etc...

its the post landing stuff i'm worried about.
Once you have decided on your airport of entry you should call and make sure what hours they are normally open. Also ask if they sell customs decals there. If they don't, you'll need to purchase one in advance here. You don't need the physical decal. The receipt will be good enough. Call and arrange your arrival time in advance. Do not rely only on putting ADCUS in the remark section of your flight plan. You'll also need to fill out this form. It's probably a good idea to do it in advance to save time. Also have your passport handy and not in your luggage.

When you make your advance call to the customs office, ask what the procedure is at that particular airport. They usually have a customs "box" where you park. Don't open the doors until the agent sees you and is walking out to the airplane. US Customs can be pretty thorough... or not, depending on the agent/office, but you shouldn't have any problem.

As Mari implies, there's little standardization with US customs. :( Call ahead and find out what that particular field office wants. It's not real fun, but they don't (generally) shoot to kill.:yikes:

Call ahead and find out what that particular field office wants. It's not real fun, but they don't (generally) shoot to kill.:yikes:

That's always encouraging. ;)

No real useful info having never done it before, but post your experience!

Interestingly, last night I watched "Phil and Lois Boyer's Atlantic Adventure." Granted, it's 18 years out of date, but it's the video log of when they flew a Cessna 340 to Europe and back. They said the most trouble they had at customs was in the US and Canada.

Call ahead and find out what that particular field office wants.

Calling ahead is not just good planning, it's required. You must call the field office ahead of time and tell them about your planned arrival. Generally this call must be placed at least two hours before arrival. Then you have to be there on time ±15 minutes. If you aren't going to hit that window, call back and reschedule. If you show up outside a pre-arranged window it's a $5,000 fine. When you call the field office have Form 178 (link above) filled out and ready. Some of the offices take down all that information over the phone.

You may be interested in US Custom's Guide for Private Flyers.

Last edited:
can't travel intnl on a pink registration copy...hope it wasn't just boughten.

can't travel intnl on a pink registration copy...hope it wasn't just boughten.
If it was you can get something that is called a "fly wire" which I think you get from the FAA but I'm not sure. We flew back and forth to Canada with a newly purchased airplane earlier this year on one, but I wasn't the one who obtained it. It authorizes you to fly back and forth from the US on a temporary registration.

Edit: Here is more info on how to obtain a "fly wire".

[FONT=ariel, helvetica, sans-serif]International Flight With The "Pink Copy" Of The Aircraft Registration Application?

A pilot who recently acquired a new Cessna 206 on floats asked me whether he could fly the aircraft into Canada while he was still operating using the "pink copy" of the aircraft registration application. The short, but incomplete, answer is "no". In order to operate a U.S. registered aircraft internationally, the aircraft must have a valid Certificate of Registration on board during the flight(s). The "pink copy" is not valid for border crossing flights.

However, if a new aircraft owner wants to use his or her aircraft in international flight, when he or she submits the required registration documents (e.g. aircraft registration application, bill of sale or other evidence of ownership, etc.), a request for expedited processing of the registration may also be submitted to the FAA. The FAA will then issue (usually within 72 hours) a temporary authorization or "fly wire" that will allow the aircraft to be operated internationally before the new certificate of aircraft registration is received. For more information on the requirements for obtaining a "fly wire", check out the FAA's webpage on the subject here.[/FONT]

From http://www.aerolegalservices.com/Archives/2008_05_01_index.shtml

Last edited:
Some helpful info I put together. I haven't updated for eApis yet though.

Attachments

• Before You Go.doc
    52 KB · Views: 5
Can anyone tell me or link me to a site that describes what I have to do when flying in Canada?

I'm ferrying a skymaster from Vancouver to El Paso next week. Does Canada have any ridiculous laws like "a/c must be insured by canadian insurance company" or something like that?

What papers will I need to have all ready to show Customs in the US? I'm thinking of BLI as my POE airport. Anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks.

First things first. What country is the aircraft registered in? Do you have a pilot certificate from that country?

You need your passport, your pilot and medical certificates, aircraft registration (permanent or as Mari mentioned above). You need to work with CANPASS to depart Canada, and comply with all US customs rules. The few times I've brought airplanes from Canada I was coming from Trois-Rivieres so went through BVT, and had no issues with Customs except in one case where they had no record of the airplane ever entering the country originally (N-numbered airplane). No problem as there was no duty due on airplanes, but they had to figure out how to force the airplane into the system.

Note - eAPIS isn't mandatory yet for GA, but it's coming, so if you're gonna be doing cross border flying, I suggest you register, and then (while you're still angry), write your Congresscritters and push to have that rule rescinded.

Back