Flying from outside the DC SFRA to a private field inside

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I took the SFRA online course a while back, and will first off say I need to redo that to brush up on the requirements before I head off into the DC SFRA. but, wanted to hear what you guys suggest is the best way to do this and get back out after I land efficiently without any problems.

Any pointers or experience you could pass along?

I am looking to fly in at WOOLY Gate near Frederick and land at a private grass strip outside of the FRZ "with their permission of course", stay for a few hours then leave through WOOLY Gate.

I took the SFRA online course a while back, and will first off say I need to redo that to brush up on the requirements before I head off into the DC SFRA. but, wanted to hear what you guys suggest is the best way to do this and get back out after I land efficiently without any problems.

Any pointers or experience you could pass along?

I am looking to fly in at WOOLY Gate near Frederick and land at a private grass strip outside of the FRZ "with their permission of course", stay for a few hours then leave through WOOLY Gate.

The same way you would land at a public airport inside the SFRA (but outside the FRZ). 1) File a sfra flight plan from one of the gates to the identifier of the private airport. 2) Contact ATC prior to SFRA entry for quawk code (procede on course when atc says transponder observed), and 3) Advise ATC when field in site; always squawk the assigned code.

Before leaving, 1) file a SFRA flight plan from the strip to the exit gate, 2) call Potomac tracon to get squawk code and frequency before takeoff; establish radio contact airbourne after departure.

Use the same frequencies and phone numbers listed for the nearby public airports. Be prepared to explain to ATC where your destination is in relation to an airport, VOR, etc.

The same way you would land at a public airport inside the SFRA (but outside the FRZ). 1) File a sfra flight plan from one of the gates to the identifier of the private airport. 2) Contact ATC prior to SFRA entry for quawk code (procede on course when atc says transponder observed), and 3) Advise ATC when field in site; always squawk the assigned code.

Before leaving, 1) file a SFRA flight plan from the strip to the exit gate, 2) call Potomac tracon to get squawk code and frequency before takeoff; establish radio contact airbourne after departure.

Use the same frequencies and phone numbers listed for the nearby public airports. Be prepared to explain to ATC where your destination is in relation to an airport, VOR, etc.

Can't emphasize this enough: never, ever squawk 1200 in the SFRA. Not even on the ground.

The rest are good instructions: you'll need to file the identifier of the landing strip, the rest should go as noted. You won't get "cleared" into the SFRA, you'll get "transponder observed, proceed on course". Note that a Class B clearance is separate, so you'd need to request that (if needed) and actually be cleared into one of the Class Bs.

And "transponder observation" can be sketchy sometimes in the GAI-FDK corridor, altitude is your friend.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I was hoping to stay below the 3500' Class B floor. Is there problems picking up ATC below 3500' ? say 1500-2000'? I know in the mountains in WV/MD/PA they have trouble picking me up sometimes until i'm above 4500'.

so, I just call Potomac Tracon via the phone number. such as near dulles (shenandoah) 866-709-4993 before departure. Have them open the flight plan, they give me the squawk code, then once in the air, contact Potomac Departure on 125.52 and let them know where I am, Alt, and where im going. sound correct? :)

Another question. If I am on flight following and get handed over to Potomac Approach, do i still need to open the SFRA flight plan or since I would have already said my destination am I good to go?

Another question, I read it says to Monitor Potomac TRACON. How do i monitor that? what frequency is that? or is that the same as the App freq.?

I was hoping to stay below the 3500' Class B floor. Is there problems picking up ATC below 3500' ? say 1500-2000'? I know in the mountains in WV/MD/PA they have trouble picking me up sometimes until i'm above 4500'.

so, I just call Potomac Tracon via the phone number. such as near dulles (shenandoah) 866-709-4993 before departure. Have them open the flight plan, they give me the squawk code, then once in the air, contact Potomac Departure on 125.52 and let them know where I am, Alt, and where im going. sound correct? :)

Departing yes. When calling to get your squawk code, they'll give you a frequency too.

Sounds about right. You want to know the correct number for the sector that handles that particular strip, check with either the owner of the strip or the airport manager for the closest public airport who they call for their squawk codes. The person you talk to at potomac will give you the approach frequency to call up. I have 3 different numbers for potomac tracon and quantico approach depending on which airport and what time of day.

All the usual GA activities happen inside of the SFRA, except that they need to talk to someone. I have heard a spray helo talking to approach, they apparently get an assigned squawk for the day and just announce 'applicators 5 is up' and when they are done with a run.

That would be departing the SFRA, you mean? If so, sounds right. No need to give them any more than your callsign, though--they should have all the other info they need from just that.

On that point, I've more than once heard controllers get on inbound pilots' cases for saying more than they have to. For example, "N12345, is five north of ESN inbound Leesburg via PALEO at 2500 feet." The controller snapped back something like, "Don't give me anything more than your callsign. That's all I need, and anything else clogs the frequency." Make sure you're on the right frequency, and then "Potomac Approach, Skyhawk 12345" is all you need.

And then back to your altitude question. I'm not sure where you're coming from (I may have missed it), but I've been through the eastern half at 1500 and the western half at 2000 and never had any issues communicating with them. Farther West than JYO though, I'm not really sure. Probably doesn't help you at all...oh well.

Another question. If I am on flight following and get handed over to Potomac Approach, do i still need to open the SFRA flight plan or since I would have already said my destination am I good to go?

You probably don't have to worry about anything--I never have--but just in case, I like to confirm before entering when the frequency is pretty quiet. Something like, "Potomac Approach, Skyhawk 12345, confirm proceed on course into SFRA?"

The whole SFRA thing really isn't too bad. I think some people get scared away, but all you have to do is squawk and talk and make sure you don't bust the bravo or the FRZ.

Very good. Thanks so much guys.

Once in the SFRA, does my route have to be direct? Could I fly around for a little bit in that area as long as I don't bust the class B and FRZ? I was hoping to fly a buddy over his house which is about 10 miles from the airport.

Once in the SFRA, does my route have to be direct? Could I fly around for a little bit in that area as long as I don't bust the class B and FRZ? I was hoping to fly a buddy over his house which is about 10 miles from the airport.

Only exiting from the FRZ has to be direct, got yelled at for a dog-leg once.

If you want to do something different from a direct trip to the airport, tell the controller about it. Give the location of your 'aerial pictures' as radial and DME from the DCA vortac (that is how the local fligh-schools define the local training area for maneuvers).

Only exiting from the FRZ has to be direct, got yelled at for a dog-leg once.

If you want to do something different from a direct trip to the airport, tell the controller about it. Give the location of your 'aerial pictures' as radial and DME from the DCA vortac (that is how the local fligh-schools define the local training area for maneuvers).

Sounds good. Thanks so much! Do you know what Freq. I am supposed to be monitoring for TRACON? Is this a separate Freq. than the App. Freq?

Sounds good. Thanks so much! Do you know what Freq. I am supposed to be monitoring for TRACON? Is this a separate Freq. than the App. Freq?

You have one ATC frequency, either a SFRA controller or the approach controller . You also want to have listening watch on 121.5

You have one ATC frequency, either a SFRA controller or the approach controller . You also want to have listening watch on 121.5

ok, great. It reads like it is a special Freq. for TRACON

in the VFR Inbound Procedures..

Step 3: After Entry - Communicate w/ATC
- Monitor Potomac TRACON

Lower and flatter terrain -- no problem.

They'll give you the frequency on which to call airborne when they give you the transponder code.

Also, Potomac does not "open the flight plan" -- if you want a VFR flight plan for SAR protection, you must file that flight plan separately with FSS and then open it separately with FSS. DC SFRA flight plans do not enter the FSS system for SAR protection, and Potomac doesn't have the means to open VFR flight plans (well, in theory it's possible, but they don't have the time to call FSS on the landline and do that).

Once Potomac says "radar contact," you're good to go. Note that DC SFRA flight plans are not "opened" or "closed" the way you do with regular VFR flight plans. On entry, once they say either "transponder observed" or "radar contact", you're good to go. On exit, if you want flight following, you must request that specifically, and you'll probably be told to call Potomac on another freq once clear of the SFRA and told "Clear of the SFRA, squawk VFR".

Another question, I read it says to Monitor Potomac TRACON. How do i monitor that? what frequency is that? or is that the same as the App freq.?
Potomac TRACON is the ATC facility providing the services. Their call sign is "Potomac Approach." Thus, they are all one and the same.

ok, great. It reads like it is a special Freq. for TRACON

in the VFR Inbound Procedures..

Step 3: After Entry - Communicate w/ATC
- Monitor Potomac TRACON

You monitor whichever frequency you contacted them on or that they handed you off to. No need to monitor two of their frequencies.

Back